Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2007, 06:23 AM

1,526 posts, read 5,604,202 times

Advertisements

When you guys say chill, what do you mean? Hanging on the street corners with the locals late at night? If so, I'd say your odds for encountering trouble are much higher.

I think when you say a hood is super dangerous, IMO it depends a lot on when and where you're hanging around. If you're passing through from the subway to your apt, esp earlier in the day, IMO odds are you will emerge in one piece. Hanging on the corner late nights, well, I guess you take your chances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2007, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
That's wassup. I've been by 183rd and Creston and it's a pretty rough block, I suspect 184th to be the same. I wouldn't be caught dead on 184th and Valentine from what I saw, and also those blocks beef with mines.

I chill on 183rd and Andrews and sometimes on University. I still feel threaten on my block though, cause really if you're not in the local gang you're a target. But props too you.

Please to explain "those blocks beef with mines." My imagination is running rampant right now.

Landmines? Lots of dog poop? People ("mines") who say "this corner is mine, and I'll cut you if you mess with me?" Lot of people there with a "beef" who will kill you as soon as scowl at you? Lots of stores selling beef? Lots of cops?

Old 10-13-2007, 09:56 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,050,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvira Black View Post
Please to explain "those blocks beef with mines." My imagination is running rampant right now.

Landmines? Lots of dog poop? People ("mines") who say "this corner is mine, and I'll cut you if you mess with me?" Lot of people there with a "beef" who will kill you as soon as scowl at you? Lots of stores selling beef? Lots of cops?
LOL........When a block beef's with another block that means that they dont get along. In University Heights alot of blocks dont get along....this is because closer to the Harlem river there are more Latinos and closer to Jerome there are more blacks. But theres plenty of both in the area. This is just something I happen to notice. Well my block 183rd and Andrews supposedly went to 183rd and Aqueduct and jumped a kid from 183rd and Grand. A few weeks back gangs from Aqueduct, Grand and Davidson went up to Andrews and there was a huge melee. Cops took alot of the kids in. So for example now I really cant go through those blocks at night...because if they were to know that im from Andrews then im in trouble. That's beef. When something happen between two places to make them "enemies."

Old 10-13-2007, 11:55 AM

So what are "mines?" My block, I guess...

And why chill on the corners at night anyway? Just curious and all...

Golly gee willikers, can't we all just...get along? LOL...

Maybe that's why my b/f gets hassled more in my neighborhood (Univ Heights) than his own (Fordham). After being there 9 years and all, guess no one wants to beef with his mines. Plus he's a white guy with tattoos (though he doesn't really display them much) and some of them might think he's undercover 5-0, who knows?

On a somewhat related note, I once saw a white guy on a bike near Poe Park with no shirt and he had a huge "white power" tattoo on his back. Guess he just got outta the joint and had to take a shortcut back to his mines, in whatever ring of hell that might be.

Do you have to tell people you're from Andrews? I guess they...um...inquire...

Aqueduct is an....um....interesting street.

Old 10-13-2007, 12:27 PM

Quote:
So what are "mines?" My block, I guess...

And why chill on the corners at night anyway? Just curious and all...

Golly gee willikers, can't we all just...get along? LOL...

Maybe that's why my b/f gets hassled more in my neighborhood (Univ Heights) than his own (Fordham). After being there 9 years and all, guess no one wants to beef with his mines. Plus he's a white guy with tattoos (though he doesn't really display them much) and some of them might think he's undercover 5-0, who knows?

On a somewhat related note, I once saw a white guy on a bike near Poe Park with no shirt and he had a huge "white power" tattoo on his back. Guess he just got outta the joint and had to take a shortcut back to his mines, in whatever ring of hell that might be.

Do you have to tell people you're from Andrews? I guess they...um...inquire...

Aqueduct is an....um....interesting street.
We chill because our friends from the neighborhood chill there. Not all people who chill in the corners are thugs. Throughout your block you have alot of boyz...now if ya'll wanna chill you just cant go to a person's house and crash it...instead the destination is the local corner where most if not all of the kidz from the neighborhood chill and have fun. Good way to increase your street rep too. Also good chance you'd get invited to a party. You meet alot of new people too. But usually we avoid the gangs/drug dealer corners.

Well I dont live in Andrews per se....but it's the closest "street name" I live by and also where I chill.

Yeah...Aqueduct walk is intresting....ALOT of crack heads there. It's just one long isolated path starting on 183rd and going up to kingsbridge. I wouldn't be caught dead there at night. I feel like in in the woods. But south of 181st Aqueduct becomes tenements and houses.

Old 10-13-2007, 02:02 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Quote:
When you guys say chill, what do you mean? Hanging on the street corners with the locals late at night? If so, I'd say your odds for encountering trouble are much higher.

I think when you say a hood is super dangerous, IMO it depends a lot on when and where you're hanging around. If you're passing through from the subway to your apt, esp earlier in the day, IMO odds are you will emerge in one piece. Hanging on the corner late nights, well, I guess you take your chances.
depends....sometimes outside the building, not on the corner
most of the time at somebody house tho, not necessarily on the street

Old 10-13-2007, 03:22 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,689,401 times
Default What is...

Creston/Morris and 196th-197th-198th like? As bad as 183rd-184th or any better?

Old 10-13-2007, 04:04 PM

Quote:

Yeah, chill for me is the corner thingy. "Chillin on the block"

Old 10-13-2007, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
Creston/Morris and 196th-197th-198th like? As bad as 183rd-184th or any better?
There aren't many blocks as bad as Creston/Morris 183rd and 184th. I haven't been to the 190's but I doubt it's as bad as 183rd.

Old 10-13-2007, 07:08 PM

So when you tell people it's super dangerous, couldn't it be that it's less dangerous for them if they're just passing through in the daytime? I'm sure it's more dangerous on the corner at night.

Do you ever go to bars?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City