Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2012, 10:42 AM

1,871 posts, read 4,268,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Penn South is unequivocally the very best place in all of New York City when cost and value are considered. I regret VERY much not having put myself on their waiting list 20 years ago but every time I went to dio it the waiting list was closed. Not only was it ALWAYS good but then Chelsea became CHELSEA.
When and if it takes itself private, the cooperators stand to make MILIONS.
A friend got a GREAT apartment there after waiting 2 decades and the cost was PEANUTS...but then he died soon after.

Q: How can you tell public housing from private, Mitchell Lama, or 80/20?
A: Public housiing NEVER has terraces.
I'd never realized that but I suppose you are correct. I can't think of a single public housing project with balconies. I have to say that despite their outward appearance, Penn South is kept very clean and is well maintained. The elevators are nice and no public area smells like pee. It's clearly an affordable housing model that works.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2012, 04:54 PM

25,373 posts, read 37,093,283 times
I have been to the theater, Hudson Guild, many times in the past and I have often remarked that I would not live in that particular block, 25th between Ninth and Tenth for FREE. The street and the hangers-around give me the heebie jeebies.
I am not shy about iffy neighbordhoods, but this one is SPECIAL.

Look up the block on Google and check out the three dudes "guarding" the entrance to Elliot House. That kind of crap goes on 24/7.

DON'T do it...that particular block is among the handful of the very worst blocks in all of Manhattan South of 96th Street, perhaps THE very worst.

Old 07-21-2012, 05:30 PM

34,098 posts, read 47,316,181 times
Quote:
I have been to the theater, Hudson Guild, many times in the past and I have often remarked that I would not live in that particular block, 25th between Ninth and Tenth for FREE. The street and the hangers-around give me the heebie jeebies.
I am not shy about iffy neighbordhoods, but this one is SPECIAL.

Look up the block on Google and check out the three dudes "guarding" the entrance to Elliot House. That kind of crap goes on 24/7.

DON'T do it...that particular block is among the handful of the very worst blocks in all of Manhattan South of 96th Street, perhaps THE very worst.
Very worst south of 96th? I would give that honorable distinction to Avenue D.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-21-2012, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Very worst south of 96th? I would give that honorable distinction to Avenue D.

Which BLOCK on Avenue D?

(I'm going to the theater on Sunday E. 3rd near Ave. B and I'll walk over and compare.)

Have you ever strolled W. 25th between Ninth and Tenth, SeventhFloor?

Old 07-21-2012, 06:41 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,158,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityuser7811 View Post
Hi everyone,

I have urgent need for help! My roommate and I found a great spacious apartment on 25th between 9th and 10th in Chelsea in New York (closer to corner on 9th). We just found out this is right next to the Elliott-Chelsea Housing Project. I did some research and it looks like this is comparatively high-crime area in the city - does anyone know more info on this? Anyone lived in the area? My roommate and I are both mid-20s females and don't want to go through with it if it is not safe.

Thanks so much!!!
Hmmm, I dunno. Like others here, I have been on that block so many times, there are more galleries within a 5-block radius than anywhere else on the planet, I believe. I have never felt unsafe there, day or night.

I am skeptical if this seems to be a "great deal" though, OP. There are no great deals in Manhattan is what I think.

I think I'd also check the bedbug maps for that building.

Old 07-22-2012, 06:07 AM

Quote:
I have been on that block so many times, there are more galleries within a 5-block radius than anywhere else on the planet,
That particular block and the galleries nearby bear no more relationship to one another than 90th and Madison bears to 105th and Madison.

I think a very low price apartment might exist on 25th between Ninth annd Tenth simply because nobody in his right mind would want to live there unless most of his rent was being paid by NYCHA.

Had the OP been looking at 25th and ELEVENTH I'd have no qualms.

Living on 25th between Ninth and Tenth is not living NEXT to the projects, unsavory ones at that, it is living WITHIN them.

Old 07-22-2012, 04:00 PM

34,098 posts, read 47,316,181 times
Quote:
Which BLOCK on Avenue D?

(I'm going to the theater on Sunday E. 3rd near Ave. B and I'll walk over and compare.)

Have you ever strolled W. 25th between Ninth and Tenth, SeventhFloor?
LOL @ which block. Funny guy.

As for W 25th Street, yeah I've walked over there once or twice at daytime....many years ago. Like back when I was a freshman in college circa 1999-2000.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-22-2012, 05:32 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,241,134 times
Funny I walk down 9th Ave all the time but never really looked at 25th street. This thread makes me want to walk down that street now. Next trip to trader joes, I will take a detour and walk down 25th btw 9th and 10th.

Old 07-22-2012, 06:56 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,544,666 times
i walked by 9th & 25th today.

as far as projects go, those are high end

Old 07-23-2012, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
i walked by 9th & 25th today.

as far as projects go, those are high end

I didn't say walk BY 9th and 25th. I said walk DOWN 25th between Ninth and Tenth...that's where the O/P wants to rent and THAT is the single block that is a complete Hell hole. And do it on a Friday or Saturday night.

(I have walked thorough the Washington Houses, the De Witt Clinton Houses, the Jefferson Houses, the Baruch Houses, the Holmes and Isaac towers,walked MILES in East Harlem (and I am lily white,) up and down the streets of the LOWER East Side 2 and 3 deecades ago and through dozens more projects without a second thought but going often to the Hudson Guild Theater on 25th was always worrisome. I don't feel threatened often but I felt it then. There's a special demographic of shiftless older teens and 20's men that give it that certain ominous feel.)

But hey, it's a free country: those who want to live on the street are certainly free to do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City