Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2012, 02:22 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,193,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post
I never said NOT banning will prevent....what a stupid argument! YOU are FOR taking an action known to be ineffective.

I'm not in favor of an action that is inefficient. You want to deny millions from owing something based on your own distaste of that item NOT any effect it will have on crime.

You want to change the law, you must present a case for it's effectiveness.

Well at least one Prosecutor seems to disagree with you about NY drug abuse!
Top NYC drug prosecutor: Epidemic is getting worse | SILive.com
Quote:
Despite a speck of positive news out of Staten Island this week, the city's prescription drug abuse epidemic is getting worse, said the city's top drug prosecutor.
umm, yeah, that is what we call legal drugs and yes, there is an issue with people abusing legal drugs.

So let me ask you, what would you do in light of this event and the number of events that have involved the use of such weapons....you know, besides ignore them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2012, 02:43 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,484,501 times
See, this one is really gonna get you!

I understand that NOTHING will stop someone from attempting this sort of thing! No law, no education...nothing!

However, getting rid of gun-free zones will add the element of a legally armed citizen possibly ending it sooner as has been done in many other instances such as the attempted church shooting in Aurora in April! Oh, you haven't heard of that one? That's because it ended by an armed citizen after the shooter already got two...not twelve or seventy!

But, do I propose making gun free zones illegal? No, I don't think infringing on property owners rights is the answer either!

I do support holding businesses liable for the public's security if they choose to take the public's ability away as a condition of entrance.

Old 07-31-2012, 03:02 PM

Quote:
See, this one is really gonna get you!

I understand that NOTHING will stop someone from attempting this sort of thing! No law, no education...nothing!

However, getting rid of gun-free zones will add the element of a legally armed citizen possibly ending it sooner as has been done in many other instances such as the attempted church shooting in Aurora in April! Oh, you haven't heard of that one? That's because it ended by an armed citizen after the shooter already got two...not twelve or seventy!

But, do I propose making gun free zones illegal? No, I don't think infringing on property owners rights is the answer either!

I do support holding businesses liable for the public's security if they choose to take the public's ability away as a condition of entrance.
So we come back to my original point, I guess we should make rocket launchers and tanks legal for people if "NOTHING will stop someone." See where I am getting at, there is an obvious line, you just aren't willing to admit there is one. And the reason that it would make it harder to almost impossible for someone to get a hold of something actually does help to prevent these sort of things.

This shooting might not of happened if things would of been harder for him to get....that is what I keep trying to get at.

Old 07-31-2012, 03:24 PM

Why do do continuously bring rocket launchers into this?

The shooting MIGHT not have happened? So throw away the rights of millions on MIGHT?

I can show where armed civilians DEFINITELY prevented further damage during an attempted shooting spree!

You want to place your bets on MIGHT....I'll place mine on DEFINITELY! FWIW, MY bets don't include stepping on the rights of others either!

Old 07-31-2012, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Why do do continuously bring rocket launchers into this?

The shooting MIGHT not have happened? So throw away the rights of millions on MIGHT?

I can show where armed civilians DEFINITELY prevented further damage during an attempted shooting spree!

You want to place your bets on MIGHT....I'll place mine on DEFINITELY! FWIW, MY bets don't include stepping on the rights of others either!
Because, you keep saying that there is nothing we can do and everything should be legal. Do you even have a line where too much is too much? That is why I keep bringing up rocket launchers, why not make them legal (and yes I know it is the ammunition that is illegal) so that we don't step on anyone's rights to own them and clearly making them illegal doesn't stop these shootings.

Again, my line is with high capacity magazines and assault rifles (including the semi auto assault rifles,) so where is your line?

And yes, I will bet on a MIGHT, can you give me a DEFINITELY? Tell me what you DEFINITELY answer that will prevent these types of shootings in the first place....and armed civilians might be able to stop something like this from happening after they start, but that doesn't stop these shootings from happening in the first place, that is the DEFINITELY that I want, so yes I will bet on a MIGHT because it is better than doing NOTHING.

Old 07-31-2012, 03:52 PM

First off, I never said that EVERYTHING should be legal...you keep YOUR words out of MY mouth!
Second, I already said NOTHING would prevent something like this!

I do think that...and evidence proves it, that armed citizens have a history of preventing the nutjobs from causing more damage.

Your ban would stop nothing.

Old 07-31-2012, 04:10 PM

Quote:
First off, I never said that EVERYTHING should be legal...you keep YOUR words out of MY mouth!
Second, I already said NOTHING would prevent something like this!

I do think that...and evidence proves it, that armed citizens have a history of preventing the nutjobs from causing more damage.

Your ban would stop nothing.
And your doing nothing would I guess also stop nothing.

And I am not putting words in your mouth, I just don't know where your line is on what should be legal and illegal, clearly you don't everything should be legal, but you are being vague about what you think that is.

Old 07-31-2012, 04:14 PM

I simply don't propose changing the law with an intrusive ineffective ban...what's so hard to grasp about that?

Why do ANY of my politics matter? It's a simple matter of YOU feeling something needs to be done, picking something you don't like, then claiming without substantiating evidence that it would do anything but make you happy!

...And I DID suggest something...you just don't like MY solution!

MY solution is more armed law abiding citizens...and I CAN provide proof that they STOP these things from being worse AND do NOT engage in frivolous shootouts as many suggest!

Old 07-31-2012, 04:52 PM

458 posts, read 616,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Well a rocket launcher wasn't used in this crime so I guess by your logic they should be legal too...maybe it is your logic that doesn't make sense...
No, no, no. You're just not following me.

You state that the use of an item in the commission of a crime indicates that the use of the item enabled the extent of the crime. Therefore, that item should be banned to prevent similar crimes in the future. Besides making the false assumption that correlation equals causation, the argument is easily shown to be invalid by using the same logic on other items the shooter used, like a pistol, shoes, or a car. It is invalid because in order for a logical argument to be valid it must be true in the whole world of the argument, not just the small part you choose to address. This is like Logic 101 here.

This should be easy if you're right: give us a valid argument as to how the AR-15's drum magazine enabled the shooter to kill more than he otherwise would have.

Finally, your straw-man argument using items that weren't used in the crime to justify banning an item that was used in the crime is completely unrelated and I don't understand where you came up with it or why you think it applies to this situation. Rape wasn't part of this crime either but it should still be illegal. It's an entirely different issue than what we're talking about.

Old 07-31-2012, 07:01 PM

Quote:
I simply don't propose changing the law with an intrusive ineffective ban...what's so hard to grasp about that?

Why do ANY of my politics matter? It's a simple matter of YOU feeling something needs to be done, picking something you don't like, then claiming without substantiating evidence that it would do anything but make you happy!

...And I DID suggest something...you just don't like MY solution!

MY solution is more armed law abiding citizens...and I CAN provide proof that they STOP these things from being worse AND do NOT engage in frivolous shootouts as many suggest!
Asking you where your line is with what is available legally has nothing to do with politics. I am curious what makes you say "that is too much." Is that a hard question for you to answer?

As for your solution, it sounds like you are saying you want more people to be armed, which for that to happen would mean you want it to be easier for people to get weapons and CCW permits? Making things easier means making it easier for people like this guy to get weapons with less checks. How is that a solution...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City