Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2012, 04:29 AM

115 posts, read 190,601 times

Advertisements

Oh boy old school subway . I loved to stand in the front car and look out the door window and watch the train riding on the tracks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2012, 06:22 AM

18,478 posts, read 31,653,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galee View Post
Night Crawler,

Was the thing with the string with the acrylic balls called a click clack. The balls would come up and crash into each other. I think they were banned because a ball could fly off and hit a kid in the head. Is that right?

yes yes yes !!! Click - clacks..........

I still have mine from back in the day. I had others but like you said, sometimes they would fly off the string, or break into pieces....I have blue ones that you can see thru. I am the best click-clacker in the whole entire world.

they were dangerous because they can and did shatter into a billion pieces and hurt people, plus give us black and blue arms LOL....the were like weapons in school, not like today of course...

WABC was the good guys, wasn't "Cousin Brucie" on that back then?

Here is a goodie:

Does anyone else remember when "Bus Drivers" gave out change, they had the coin change thing around their waist, you would give the bus driver a dollar bill and ka-ching, change for you.....

Old 09-25-2012, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rellort View Post
Oh boy old school subway . I loved to stand in the front car and look out the door window and watch the train riding on the tracks.

It is still thrilling, no matter how old you are. From being a little boy to becoming **couch,cough** my age, it is still thrilling

Especially when the train is coming out from the tunnel and onto the Manhattan Bridge, it was thrilling back then, and still is. It just is.

Do we also remember when riding the subway the lights would go out at certain spots and when you looked through the cars the lights go out at the same point, car 1 then 2 then 3...they don't do that anymore.

How about candy and cigarette vending machine on the platforms of all subway stations.

and you were allowed to smoke on the platforms also, even the underground ones.

Old 09-25-2012, 10:00 AM

LOL guys how do I highlight a screen name to respond ?

Yes bus drivers giving change--what about when you dropped the change in the dispenser and it was glass and you could see the change.

Wooden tops with real metal points.--When the point would dull , you would take the point out of the top and scrap it on the ground to make it sharp.

Soda cans made tin with flat bottoms then aluminum cans with the inverted bottom.

If a policeman yes a policeman not a police officer took you home you would get a %&$%^& whooping.

What was the name of the fire truck with two driers 1 in front and the other in the back and it would swing as it would turn corners. 25 points.

Drum Roll how many points is this worth---When in the front car of the train the operator would leave his door open and you were able to watch him operate the train.

Old 09-25-2012, 10:56 AM

55 posts, read 106,393 times
Does anyone remember riding the MJ train line?

www.nycsubway.org: BMT Myrtle Avenue Line

Old 09-25-2012, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rellort View Post
LOL guys how do I highlight a screen name to respond ?

Yes bus drivers giving change--what about when you dropped the change in the dispenser and it was glass and you could see the change.

Wooden tops with real metal points.--When the point would dull , you would take the point out of the top and scrap it on the ground to make it sharp.

Soda cans made tin with flat bottoms then aluminum cans with the inverted bottom.

If a policeman yes a policeman not a police officer took you home you would get a %&$%^& whooping.

What was the name of the fire truck with two driers 1 in front and the other in the back and it would swing as it would turn corners. 25 points.

Drum Roll how many points is this worth---When in the front car of the train the operator would leave his door open and you were able to watch him operate the train.

25 points, because back then, there was no air conditioning, and if the motorman did not leave the door open he would have of suffocated.

how about the conductors walking from one car to another every stop because of the side of the tracks the doors opened up on.

Old 09-25-2012, 12:29 PM

nightcrawler your the man

BORN IN BROOKLYN 1986 Thanks for making me feel old.

Old 09-25-2012, 01:27 PM

My name is "Talky Tina", and I love you very much.

My name is "Talky Tina" and I could even hate you.

My name is "Talky Tina", and you'll be sorry.

My name is "Talky Tina" and I'm beginning to hate you.

My name is "Talky Tina" and I'm going to kill you.

My name is "Talky Tina" and I don't forgive you.

My name is "Talky Tina", and you'd better be nice to me.

What was this ?
Who was she talking to?

15 points

Old 09-25-2012, 02:33 PM

nightcrawler

[CENTER][LEFT][LEFT]

My name is "Talky Tina" and I could even hate you.

My name is "Talky Tina", and you'll be sorry.

My name is "Talky Tina" and I'm beginning to hate you.

My name is "Talky Tina" and I'm going to kill you.

My name is "Talky Tina" and I don't forgive you.

My name is "Talky Tina", and you'd better be nice to me.

What was this ?
Who was she talking to?

15 points

Twilight Zone
was it Telly Savalas

[/LEFT]
[/LEFT]
[/CENTER]

[RIGHT]

[/RIGHT]

Old 09-25-2012, 02:37 PM

What was under the counter guys hat at the diner

remember taking the glass ring off glass bottles so you could play skully
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City