Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 09:40 PM

447 posts, read 1,564,057 times

Advertisements

With the way its going I'd say 15 to 20 years. Maybe sooner.
They'll have to move it somewhere tho. Probably The Bronx.
Do you think they'll do it? With Harlem and other neighborhoods gentrifying they'll have to get rid of it eventually.

Last edited by nycistheplace2; 08-10-2010 at 10:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 09:42 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,623,502 times
I hope they do. I always hated those buildings. Maybe they can build better public housing elsewhere.

Old 08-10-2010, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrusjul View Post
I hope they do. I always hated those buildings. Maybe they can build better public housing elsewhere.
You think they'll dump it all on Staten Island?

Old 08-10-2010, 10:31 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,038,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycistheplace2 View Post
With the way its going I'd say 15 to 20 years. Maybe sooner.
They'll have to move it somewhere tho. Probably The Bronx.
Do you think they'll do it? With Harlem and other neighborhoods gentrifying they'll have to get rid of it eventually.
First and formost is taht the city wants to make a buck. I dont think the city wants to demolish public housing but what the city will probably due is sell the housing projects probably to a developer who has a choice to demolish the buildings, or city can turn the building into a mitchell lama coopertive development and sell a 2 unit housing aparkment for 100k like whats going on in Astoria housing projects. My thing alright you have a housing project of ten buildings and each ten buildings has ten floors and each floor has ten apartments. IF the city sell each apartment for 100,000 on all ten floors and for all ten buildings in the development thats a total of a 100,000,000 dollars. My question is this if you guys wanna get rid of public housing, then where are the low income people are going to go, The South Bronx? Rubin Diaz even said the Bronx is taking into much ex Harlem and Washington Hieghts residents that lowers the Bronx economic expectations. Where else Bushwick, Brownsville or East New York? Sometimes gentrfication is not the answer to solve the cities problems, sometimes gentrification makes things worse, do you know many people who come to live in gentrified neigborhoods like those hipsters and transplants that are broke and with credit problems and they owe many bussiness and institutions money? My thing is this if the city wants to improve conditions they need to force or persuade low income working class people to become home owners and make them buy the converted housing units. Try to bring back a sense of community and if anything a sense of a middle working class people.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 08-10-2010 at 11:01 PM..

Old 08-10-2010, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
First and formost is taht the city wants to make a buck. I dont think the city wants to demolish public housing but what the city will probably due is sell the housing projects probably to a developer who has a choice to demolish the buildings, or city can turn the building into a mitchell lama coopertive development and sell a 2 unit housing apartment for 100k like whats going on in Astoria housing projects. My thing alright you have a housing project of ten buildings and each ten buildings has ten floors and each floor has ten apartments. IF the city sell each apartment for 100,000 on all ten floors and for all ten buildings in the development thats a total of a 100,000,000 dollars.
Didn't they sell Jacob Riis houses on the Lower East Side? To Donald Trump?
That's probably what they what they'll do eventually. If they were to do it I say build one massive housing project in some park on Staten Island.
In fact I say destroy every single housing development in NYC and just dump it in some park in Staten Island.

Old 08-10-2010, 10:57 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,561,767 times
NYC will NEVER bulldoze the projects. 1. There's money to be made especially in these times 2. As Bronxguyanese said bulldoze those projects and you can guarantee problems will rise particularly in lower income hoods: South BX, Bushwick, Bed Stuy, Harlem etc. It won't look pretty at all, you can't avoid that disaster if they knock down the projects.

Old 08-10-2010, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njnyckid View Post
NYC will NEVER bulldoze the projects. 1. There's money to be made especially in these times 2. As Bronxguyanese said bulldoze those projects and you can guarantee problems will rise particularly in lower income hoods: South BX, Bushwick, Bed Stuy, Harlem etc. It won't look pretty at all, you can't avoid that disaster if they knock down the projects.
But I bet they would still do it. Especially in uptown. Bloomberg is trying to turn 125th street into a new times square. You don't see any public housing on 42nd street now do you? I bet there will eventually be increased pressure from new residents in uptown to do so. The same with the projects in the Lower East Side.

Old 08-10-2010, 11:14 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,038,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycistheplace2 View Post
But I bet they would still do it. Especially in uptown. Bloomberg is trying to turn 125th street into a new times square. You don't see any public housing on 42nd street now do you? I bet there will eventually be increased pressure from new residents in uptown to do so. The same with the projects in the Lower East Side.
lol turn 125th street into a new times square, Hahahaha you made a funny. Really? It will be up most blastphame if Sylvias turns into a Starbucks or Sushi restuarant same goes for Katz deli in the LES.

Old 08-10-2010, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
lol turn 125th street into a new times square, Hahahaha you made a funny. Really? It will be up most blastphame if Sylvias turns into a Starbucks or Sushi restuarant same goes for Katz deli in the LES.
I looked up what they are doing just now.
They are rezoning 125th street to be "important regional business district and bolster its historic role as an arts, entertainment and retail corridor."
In other words a new times square or another very important artery in Manhattan. On the bright side they will "preserve the brownstone residences". Who knows, Sylvia's might close down and open uo a new shop in Bushwick.

Old 08-10-2010, 11:46 PM

So mainly what their doing to 125th street in Harlem is to turn it into a "premier arts, culture and entertainment destination" -Department of city planning.

To make Harlem a glorified tourist attraction
Lord what has happened to this city.
Read what the city has planned, basically a new tourist attraction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City