Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 02:48 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,024,463 times

Advertisements

Broadway shows are BORING!

I'm not even gonna try and play it off like it's anything I am remotely interested in. I couldn't stand those old movie musicals either when I was a kid. Yes, they were beautifully done, but I like my movies and plays to have CONTINUOUS DIALOGUE. Not talk for 3 minutes, then bust out in some long drawn out song/dance number for 10 minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2012, 02:53 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,237,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Broadway shows are BORING!

I'm not even gonna try and play it off like it's anything I am remotely interested in. I couldn't stand those old movie musicals either when I was a kid. Yes, they were beautifully done, but I like my movies and plays to have CONTINUOUS DIALOGUE. Not talk for 3 minutes, then bust out in some long drawn out song/dance number for 10 minutes.
There are plays also.

I wonder what the demos are for shows like Fela, Memphis, and Porgie?

To answer the op, I don't think its an economic thing, I just guess it comes down to cultural tastes. Unfortunately there are people that think this a "white thing."

Old 09-22-2012, 03:12 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,327,789 times
Not surprising at all.

Remember that Blacks and many other minorities were banned from attending or participating in Broadway shows up until not too long ago when they were *forced* to allow non-whites in. That's why the Apollo Theatre in Harlem and other establishments were formed and thrive to this day.

I'm Black and I certainly have the means to see a Broadway show but I won't. I've never been to a Broadway show and have zero desire to go to one. And before a large group of people respond and tell me, i'm "holding grudges", I have nothing against Broadway. I just don't feel a need to give people who want nothing to do with me my hard earned money. Heck, I actually somewhat have a little respect for them for once being open about their true feelings towards certain minorities so i'm not sitting there looking stupid making people who don't like me rich.

Old 09-22-2012, 03:23 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,676,606 times
I'm black and my parents took my siblings and I to Broadway shows a couple of times a year when were younger. I don't go anymore because my interests lie in the visual arts rather than performing arts. These "studies", which serve no other purpose besides "proving" that non-whites are "uncultured", are nothing but transparent, useless bullsh*t.

Old 09-22-2012, 03:27 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,037,055 times
Broadway shows cater to Transplants and Tourist alike. The last broawag show j went too was nine years ago. I thinnk it was Rent. Broadway shows no longer cater to locals anymore. Thats from my perspective.

Old 09-22-2012, 03:39 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,126,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobage View Post
I'm black and my parents took my siblings and I to Broadway shows a couple of times a year when were younger. I don't go anymore because my interests lie in the visual arts rather than performing arts. These "studies", which serve no other purpose besides "proving" that non-whites are "uncultured", are nothing but transparent, useless bullsh*t.
Yes! Exactly what I was saying above earlier. These "studies" are worth less then the paper they get printed on.

Old 09-22-2012, 03:45 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,125,537 times
As a couple of others have said, even if cost isn't a factor, the level of interest is. I went to one of those free "Shakespeare in the Park" plays and there weren't a whole lot of Blacks there. I'm sure if you go to some of those art museums with the suggested donations, you're not going to see a lot of Blacks. (I mean, FWIW, I'm Hispanic and I'm not really interested in that type of stuff). For the most part, I'd rather see a movie than one of those plays (and I'm not really into movies either).

Old 09-22-2012, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
Not surprising at all.

Remember that Blacks and many other minorities were banned from attending or participating in Broadway shows up until not too long ago when they were *forced* to allow non-whites in. That's why the Apollo Theatre in Harlem and other establishments were formed and thrive to this day.

I'm Black and I certainly have the means to see a Broadway show but I won't. I've never been to a Broadway show and have zero desire to go to one. And before a large group of people respond and tell me, i'm "holding grudges", I have nothing against Broadway. I just don't feel a need to give people who want nothing to do with me my hard earned money. Heck, I actually somewhat have a little respect for them for once being open about their true feelings towards certain minorities so i'm not sitting there looking stupid making people who don't like me rich.
What kills me is that they always put "blacks" in these studies when I'm sure Hector, Luis, Ming, Indeera and Li aren't going in high numbers either.

I don't consider broadway musicals a "white thing". I've NEVER like them. They bore me to tears and always have.

I'd rather wrestle tigers in the Bronx Zoo.

Old 09-22-2012, 04:11 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,088,686 times
If I'm visiting NY the last thing I want to do is see a Broadway musical. I'd rather count grains of sand on the Coney Island beach.

Old 09-22-2012, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
If I'm visiting NY the last thing I want to do is see a Broadway musical. I'd rather count grains of sand on the Coney Island beach.
You and me both!

Count me in as part of the "uncultured" class then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City