Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 07:59 AM

305 posts, read 553,608 times

Advertisements

This is shocking!! We need a tax payer funded program to force people of color to Broadway! Stat!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2012, 08:05 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,633,187 times
Are most Broadway plays really high culture? It has always seemed to me most attendees are from out of town, specifically suburbanites (and the suburbs here are generally whiter than the city itself). I used to live close to Times Square - many people around the theaters seemed unfamiliar with sidewalks (standing in the middle of the sidewalk, being surprised that someone may want to get around them). I have only been to plays when people from out of town were visiting and wanted to see a certain show. Not that I would not want to go, but it's not a priority and living here I feel that I could always go another time, so never actually get around to it.

Old 09-24-2012, 08:17 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,407,485 times
the same goes for classical music concerts i guess.
that's something rich europeans brought with them
to america.

Old 09-24-2012, 08:23 AM

5,521 posts, read 8,775,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
Are most Broadway plays really high culture? It has always seemed to me most attendees are from out of town, specifically suburbanites (and the suburbs here are generally whiter than the city itself). I used to live close to Times Square - many people around the theaters seemed unfamiliar with sidewalks (standing in the middle of the sidewalk, being surprised that someone may want to get around them). I have only been to plays when people from out of town were visiting and wanted to see a certain show. Not that I would not want to go, but it's not a priority and living here I feel that I could always go another time, so never actually get around to it.
Much of the Broadway audience is indeed tourists or suburbanites, and many producers aim for that demographic -- or at least what they think it is. (After all, most of the U.S. population is now suburban). Which is to say they rarely put on shows that are high art. Rather, they look for something that's musical, not too intellectually demanding, mildly risque, with splashy production values, and something that will tour well in the rest of country after its Broadway run. And if they can get a Hollywood star in the cast while its in New York, so much the better.

Old 09-24-2012, 08:58 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,633,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
Much of the Broadway audience is indeed tourists or suburbanites, and many producers aim for that demographic -- or at least what they think it is. (After all, most of the U.S. population is now suburban). Which is to say they rarely put on shows that are high art. Rather, they look for something that's musical, not too intellectually demanding, mildly risque, with splashy production values, and something that will tour well in the rest of country after its Broadway run. And if they can get a Hollywood star in the cast while its in New York, so much the better.
Makes sense.

I know that the OP quoted a statistic of 65% being tourists at Broadway shows, but suburbanites from this area probably wouldn't consider themselves to be tourists, so I'd guess that the actual percentage of people from outside the city at Broadway shows is higher than 35%.

Old 09-24-2012, 09:03 AM

1,145 posts, read 3,000,993 times
This is the one city that has all manner of show types, from the big productions to the 20-seater plays. There are no shortage of places for minorities with talent to express performing arts with a cultural bent.

The mistake the OP makes is to judge only on the biggest Broadway shows. They are big because they appeal to the majority demographic and those with the disposable income to attend.

Old 09-24-2012, 04:56 PM

115 posts, read 190,589 times
Here is a fact did you know that all dogs about to do their duty turn to the right before hand

Old 09-24-2012, 06:20 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,775,940 times
Im latin and have been frequenting broadway, off broadway as well as opera and all types of ballet shows over the past 12yrs. When i was younger growing up in the hood all i heard was that this was white people things and anti hood, so naturally u wasnt interested. It took an ex gf of mine who was part of english national ballet for a few yrs to open my eyes and show me a world beyond the ghetto.

Sometimes hate does come from just being uneducated on certain subjects, also the price range of some shows tend to keep away poorer people who happen to be non white in nyc.

Old 09-24-2012, 06:53 PM

125 posts, read 229,180 times
There is no Broadway show on Earth worth $200. I only go to Broadway shows when I can get half-off or buy one get one deals. I've been trying to take my kid to see The Lion King for the past three years. Ticket prices start at $160!! No sales ever. Eff that. The only people willing to pay those prices (for the most part) are tourists.

Old 09-24-2012, 06:56 PM

34,099 posts, read 47,309,800 times
Tyler Perry's plays sell out at the Beacon Theater.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City