Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 03:07 PM

1,193 posts, read 2,391,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickL28 View Post
Plenty of families still goto Yankee games & Ranger games at MSG (crowd is more likely to be people from the NYC metro area than tourists) and the cost is the same or more than a Broadway show ticket for most seats.

And 'a months rent' (or mortgage payment) for folks outside of Manhattan is likely over $2,000 a month (still cheaper than the average $5,000 2 bedroom apartment rental in Manhattan however)
You can get bleacher seats at a Yankees game for $25/35 ... I don't think that option exists for Broadway. We took our two kids to "The Lion King" a couple of years ago, and even during the buy-one, get-one, it was almost $400.

And a month's rent outside of Manhattan -- very far outside of Manhattan, granted, can be less than $1,000 in many neighborhoods. OK, so maybe I was a bit hyperbolic about the month's rent. But still....

Believe me, I would love it if a Broadway show weren't so expensive that it is a once-in-a-childhood kind of event.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2012, 03:18 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,168,495 times
I think the main appeal of Broadway shows is the same as that of opera - they're both places for high society to meet and socialize. They're displaying their artistic sensibilities like a peacock shows its colors .... sort of a mating arena for rich people.

Old 09-27-2012, 03:46 PM

66 posts, read 181,157 times
I'm of mixed race, black, white & red. I don't consciously note a person's race unless it's brung up. All I see is Nationality and we're (mostly) Americans here. Also keep in mind that mixed race people are now the majority in the U.S. that's the admirable thing about our country and especially NYC that it's a melting pot. Why race is still a factor in some people's lives is mostly insecurity I'd wager.

Btw, I love broadway shows.

Old 09-27-2012, 04:28 PM

1,639 posts, read 2,202,966 times
I am black (woman) and I like broadway shows. Last ones I saw were Wicked (liked it so-so) and Mama Mia(loved it!) Lion King was also awesome. I believe a combination of being exposed to things like that at a younger age can help, and also I do believe a diverse cast helps (for the more stubborn people).

For me, I have liked shows every since I attended my first one at around 9 years of age.

Old 09-27-2012, 05:34 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,248,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
I think the main appeal of Broadway shows is the same as that of opera - they're both places for high society to meet and socialize. They're displaying their artistic sensibilities like a peacock shows its colors .... sort of a mating arena for rich people.
I dunno maybe it's just me but I don't look at going to a Broadway show as a hoity toity rich people kind of thing. I've seen way too many B&T and country people going to Broadway to look at it that way. But I will say plays not musicals tend to have an artsier poshier crowd.

Old 11-25-2013, 08:34 AM

530 posts, read 1,360,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by regular folk View Post
I work right next to the Broadway Theaters and attend quite a few Broadway Plays and Musicals. One thing that I always noticed is almost everyone at the Broadway Shows is White! Why is this true in one of the most ethnically diverse cities in America?

Yes, I know that 65% of the people atteding Broadway Shows are tourists but NYC is full of tourists of all ethnic groups and from all over the world.

I knew my friends on City Data would not believe me unless I got some type of official study, so I googled the subject and came up with an official survey developed by THE BROADWAY LEAGUE.

The Broadway League - The Official Website of the Broadway Theatre Industry

In this study they determined that:
  1. Eighty-three percent of all tickets were purchased by Caucasian theatergoers, of those 65% were women.
  2. The average age of the Broadway theatergoer was 44 years, older than in the past few seasons.
  3. Only 4% of the tickets are bought by African Americans
I found this to be very interesting and scary at the same time. It says as America becomes more Hispanic and the baby boomers die out, interest in Broadway Shows will fall drastically.

What can Broadway do to get more participation by ethnic minorities, younger people, and men?

I don't see this as an issue at all.

Broadway used to ban Blacks from attending shows but were eventually forced to allow them in.

Why would I give top dollar to people who don't even want me around? There are countless other places who do value&respect me where I can spend my time and hard-earned money at.

Old 11-25-2013, 09:36 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,017,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by regular folk View Post
I found this to be very interesting and scary at the same time. It says as America becomes more Hispanic and the baby boomers die out, interest in Broadway Shows will fall drastically
How do you know that some of the theater goers weren't "white Hispanics"?

Old 11-25-2013, 10:33 AM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,861,507 times
Black people are definitely interested in the Arts, there are many factors causing the lack of participation. The prime reason is economics. Whites on average make twice as much as Blacks and tickets to Broadway plays are not cheap. The free showings of the late artist Basquiat this past year were jammed packed with Black NYer' s alone, not including others that came. The Studio Museum in Harlem and the events and showings at Schomberg are well attended by Black people. Most of theses are free or low cost, again economics is a factor. Like anyone else Black people like to see themselves reflected in the Arts and will support that.
There are other events in all boros that show case work from local artist, musicians, actors, and writers etc, that are well attended by Black people that are held in local galleries, churches, bookstores and even book readings of new publications that are held in restaurants like Melba' s in Harlem. Some Brooklyn, Bronx, Queens, and SI Posters can chime in on the artist expression venues in their boros that attract Black people. I know Brooklyn has a huge artist community.

Old 11-25-2013, 10:37 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
Went to see The Book of Mormon and it cost us 300 bucks a ticket. The other people there...in mink coats, etc.

Who else can afford 300 bucks for 2 hours of entertainment?

Old 11-25-2013, 10:40 AM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,861,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrestigiousReputability View Post
I don't see this as an issue at all.

Broadway used to ban Blacks from attending shows but were eventually forced to allow them in.

Why would I give top dollar to people who don't even want me around? There are countless other places who do value&respect me where I can spend my time and hard-earned money at.
I wouldn't rely on these numbers that the OP posted. If only 4% of the audience for a season on Broadway were Black there wouldn't be so much investment for shows with Black stars and cast members. A Trip to Bountiful did so well they have completed a small screen version of the play with Broadway cast. They realize the economic factor that people wanted to see it but we're unable to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City