Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 09:39 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,415,956 times

Advertisements

Broadway is for Caucasian nerds who live in Connecticut who had miserable lives.

my mom took me to watch color purple. my god my snoring disturbed the whole crowd.

loin king was cool to but still for nerds who live in Connecticut.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2012, 09:41 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,919,198 times
Who cares?

Old 09-24-2012, 11:33 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,054,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
Are most Broadway plays really high culture? It has always seemed to me most attendees are from out of town, specifically suburbanites (and the suburbs here are generally whiter than the city itself). I used to live close to Times Square - many people around the theaters seemed unfamiliar with sidewalks (standing in the middle of the sidewalk, being surprised that someone may want to get around them). I have only been to plays when people from out of town were visiting and wanted to see a certain show. Not that I would not want to go, but it's not a priority and living here I feel that I could always go another time, so never actually get around to it.
I agree with this. Most people who attend broadway shows are either Tourist, Transplants who come from Suburbia to experience high culture of New York or BT Suburbanites, they can be of any race but yes they are mostly white. Broadway needs to reshape itself and try to draw or attract native New Yorkers of all races and lower income stratas to the theather. IF they can finance themselves along Tourist and Transplants then so be it. I rather watch and listen to an orchestra over a broadway show any day. And personally I feel that Broadway only caters to Tourist and Transplants and not to Native New Yorkers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbullnyc View Post
Im latin and have been frequenting broadway, off broadway as well as opera and all types of ballet shows over the past 12yrs. When i was younger growing up in the hood all i heard was that this was white people things and anti hood, so naturally u wasnt interested. It took an ex gf of mine who was part of english national ballet for a few yrs to open my eyes and show me a world beyond the ghetto.

Sometimes hate does come from just being uneducated on certain subjects, also the price range of some shows tend to keep away poorer people who happen to be non white in nyc.
I dont know I hear different. I have been to Lincoln center twice to catch a performance at Avery Hall and Alice Tully Hall and even attended a performance piece at the Carnegie. From what I have been told prices would be reduced to attract lower income folks to allow to see what the rich and wealthy see and enjoy as well as sending a message that the rich and wealthy whether Jew or Black, Asian Hispianic Gentile or Blue Blooded WASP is not so arrogant towards the lesser of society. I attended these events by using a discount with a college ID, this was around five to six years ago. Watching these performances are still stuck in my head, also I'm still able to talk about orchestra and the opera with folks who are higly liberal in thouoght and in politics. Its kind of good knowing about certain subjects of art because at the end of the day do you really want someone who thinks they are superior over you to consider you culturally weak or close minded. Learning and taking part in some of these arts helped me close the gap.

Old 09-24-2012, 11:37 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,326,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
This is a dumb survey, unnecessary and not accurate at all. The shows are meant to be enjoyed by ALL. Black, white, brown and everything in between. I am also getting sick of, black this, white that etc. People are not f***in crayons!

That being the case, so why are'nt there more minorities in the audience? Since racial injustice/curiosity does not affect you directly and apparently you have not interest in it why even comment?

Old 09-24-2012, 11:39 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,054,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
Not surprising at all.

Remember that Blacks and many other minorities were banned from attending or participating in Broadway shows up until not too long ago when they were *forced* to allow non-whites in. That's why the Apollo Theatre in Harlem and other establishments were formed and thrive to this day.

I'm Black and I certainly have the means to see a Broadway show but I won't. I've never been to a Broadway show and have zero desire to go to one. And before a large group of people respond and tell me, i'm "holding grudges", I have nothing against Broadway. I just don't feel a need to give people who want nothing to do with me my hard earned money. Heck, I actually somewhat have a little respect for them for once being open about their true feelings towards certain minorities so i'm not sitting there looking stupid making people who don't like me rich.
This is often true. Here in Mott Haven there is a building which used to be a Theater first for Germans but Germans moved out the area and the Irish came in. THe theater became a center for Irish culture in the city until the IRish picked up and moved out of the area. Down the block their used to be a Puerto Rican theather which was the center of performing arts of Puerto RIcans in NYC until it met its demise two decades ago and now it sits quietly as a Universal Church. Out of all the ethnic theaters in NYC the Apollo seems to be the most succesful. Broadway needs to do a better job to attract New Yorkers of all races, creeds and income stratas.

Old 09-24-2012, 11:39 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,326,686 times
To answer your question maybe it is because of the cost and or it is a luxury many cannot afford right now.

Old 09-24-2012, 11:59 PM

2,871 posts, read 4,793,628 times
I like off Broadway.

Old 09-25-2012, 03:59 AM

106,712 posts, read 108,913,061 times
culturaly we all have different tastes in the arts. im white but given the choice of seeing a broadway show or one of those amazing gospel groups im going gospel.

i dont go because i think i would feel out of place going to see the performers i like .

Old 09-25-2012, 04:28 AM

1,192 posts, read 3,484,395 times
Isn't it odd. I'm a caucasian middle-aged man who had never been to a Broadway play until he was in his late 40's. My AFRICAN-AMERICAN wife and her sister who lives in a NY suburb "dragged" me to the Lion King. I loved it! (and I'm not gay either). Not been back to NY since but I've enjoyed live theater and attended locally ever since.

For all you black folk, give it a try... there is really nothing black or white about it. Just good stories, dancing, music , and entertainment.

Old 09-25-2012, 06:37 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,250,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
Broadway is for Caucasian nerds who live in Connecticut who had miserable lives.

my mom took me to watch color purple. my god my snoring disturbed the whole crowd.

loin king was cool to but still for nerds who live in Connecticut.
Loin King.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City