Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2013, 06:30 AM

116 posts, read 240,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullprick View Post
believe me this will effewct everything. S/W's have joined the suit as well it will only get bigger and where it stops noone knows.
I've seen you post before. You often post inflammatory statements which are groundless, just to stir the pot.

S/W have joined the suit????? Really???? On what basis exactly would a sanitation worker join a class action suit stating that promotions are discriminatory? They haven't applied for any promotions and been passed over, so on what basis exactly would they join this suit??? This suit it formed by supervisors and above, where tests no longer matter & promotions are more of a who- you- know type of thing. Do you have any real proof of what you are saying, because I'm calling bull on your statement

Old 02-26-2013, 07:01 AM

308 posts, read 517,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerojet View Post
Hope the hell you're rt!!! Thanks to all for responses...I do understand that the lawsuit has nothing to do with initial hirings and has everything to do with upper promotions. But Ive heard its happened before with other city agencies,and in turn stalled not only promotions but also any movement in dept...including hirings. Almost as if the dept freezes...hope thats not the case....waited too long and got way too far for that crap to happen now!!!!!!!!!
I hear ya! I'm 200 away and would be crushed if this list expired.

Old 02-26-2013, 07:29 AM

49 posts, read 76,319 times
Default waitin

Hey Ronny....yeah crushed is not the word!!!!! Im 150 away and would be maniacal if that happened!!! Especially after goin through all the medicals and CDL training last summer! HR said all medicals have to be redone except hearing and xrays...and even those have to be redone if it goes beyond a yr.

Old 02-26-2013, 08:39 AM

316 posts, read 489,804 times
I am 89 numbers away and I think I will scream if I have to rely on the Private Sector until I can retire. What you have to understand is that it stopped hiring in other agencys because they said the test were biased. What was biased about "Sanitation Worker Jones needed to get to this route, what is the best route to follow obeying all traffic rules?"

Old 02-26-2013, 12:21 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,621,445 times
nothing is biased, that article states that 55% of s/w's are non white.

Old 02-26-2013, 12:32 PM

52 posts, read 115,133 times
From what I've heard one of the supervisors test was very hard so it did stall promotions for s/w, assuming that's why a s/w would be in that suit. Heard about that test during my first 30 days. Some claim it was geared towards a certain group. That's just a possibility as to why a s/w could be part of it. There seems to be something strange when it comes to the promotion part of being appointed. Who you know would help anyone in that situation! It you have a hook use it and don't be fooled, make friends at FBF see if you can use it to your advantage when it comes to getting a garage.

Hope they hire more. Need more people under me. Good luck all.

Old 02-26-2013, 01:03 PM

308 posts, read 517,660 times
The way I read story was that the people suing were already minority supervisors that couldn't move up the ranks any further. S/w complaint about the supervisor test should be a completely different lawsuit

Old 02-26-2013, 02:52 PM

223 posts, read 307,766 times
To the August class... Congrats first 6 months down. Hope all you guys are doing well. Time goes by fast.. 1 year of probation to go. That's one more winter in my book if this one ever finishes.. And to those that are waiting you guys are not forgotten and it will happen stay straight and don't get discouraged.

Old 02-26-2013, 07:25 PM

146 posts, read 259,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaitinginBklyn View Post
I've seen you post before. You often post inflammatory statements which are groundless, just to stir the pot.

S/W have joined the suit????? Really???? On what basis exactly would a sanitation worker join a class action suit stating that promotions are discriminatory? They haven't applied for any promotions and been passed over, so on what basis exactly would they join this suit??? This suit it formed by supervisors and above, where tests no longer matter & promotions are more of a who- you- know type of thing. Do you have any real proof of what you are saying, because I'm calling bull on your statement
i know cause i know friends who are involved and it has s/w in it. Believe me you will see. if a s/w dont get promoted why wouldnd he join the suit. city lawyers will cya and make sure the city aint liable for anything. in other words redo the test ask minoritys and women to make all the tests from s/w to super etc .. Its just the way it goes happened back in the 90's as well, but im sure you knew that already. your ideas on the suit have no merit their are all pay grades involved. sorry

Old 02-27-2013, 03:13 AM

269 posts, read 496,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullprick View Post
i know cause i know friends who are involved and it has s/w in it. Believe me you will see. if a s/w dont get promoted why wouldnd he join the suit. city lawyers will cya and make sure the city aint liable for anything. in other words redo the test ask minoritys and women to make all the tests from s/w to super etc .. Its just the way it goes happened back in the 90's as well, but im sure you knew that already. your ideas on the suit have no merit their are all pay grades involved. sorry
Not sure how or why a sanworker would be part of this. Any promotion from sanworker is done from a list that was established from an exam. Same as when we were hired. It's not done by appointment. I'd imagine the only people with a legit beef is supers who wanted to be deputy chiefs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City