Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 05:58 AM

34,043 posts, read 47,260,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC1981 View Post
Curious to how New Yorkers would answer this question. Had this debate a few years ago in Boston and it got pretty heated. What do you guys think? Should NYPD officers have to live in the city in order to keep their jobs? How would this affect neighborhoods and/or the city overall?
I think all city workers should be required to live in the 5 boroughs. Why should another municipality receive that tax money? We pay their salaries.

I always thought that a good way to stabilize the projects would be to make them for city workers only. If they don't want to live in the projects, and decide to move into a house, they can seek employment elsewhere.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2012, 06:58 AM

75 posts, read 149,770 times
The NYPD pays city taxes, REGARDLESS of where they live.

Old 12-06-2012, 07:31 AM

19,036 posts, read 13,948,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I think all city workers should be required to live in the 5 boroughs. Why should another municipality receive that tax money? We pay their salaries.

I always thought that a good way to stabilize the projects would be to make them for city workers only. If they don't want to live in the projects, and decide to move into a house, they can seek employment elsewhere.
Wow... that's some view. Force city workers to live in the projects? NYC would have no chance of attracting even close to the best under that plan. "Work for us, but you must live in a brick building with no yard and amongst low-income families. You grew up in a nice house that your parents worked hard for to give you a good upbringing? Too bad, we want to play social engineer!"

Old 12-06-2012, 08:24 AM

And under that logic, you would have to displace some of the people who live in the projects. So where do they go? Do you create more projects? Where is the space to? Or do those in the projects get to move into nice high rises on the UWS, or a brownstone in Park Slope or a house in Staten Island, all subsidized and paid for by the tax payer.

Last edited by PerspicaciousE; 12-06-2012 at 08:33 AM..

Old 12-06-2012, 09:06 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,097,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Brown View Post
Not only live in the city but should be assigned to work in the same general neighborhood/community/zip code they live in. Communities should be policed by its own

I don't agree with this at all, reason being, if a cop doesn't make much and has to live in a crappy, crime ridden neighborhood, they don't want to have to bust their neighbors or put their family's life in danger because they pissed off some gang member that lives where they live. I know that in Brazil, where my family lives a lot of police offices live in the Favelas and therefore tend to get corrupted (not because of money but because of safety for their families) because they are not paid enough and cannot afford to live in safer areas for their families.

Police offices should live in the city they work so they are familiar with it but they should not have to live in the neighborhood where they work. They should also be paid well so that they can be proud of their jobs and can afford to live in safe areas with their families.

Old 12-06-2012, 09:06 AM

3,244 posts, read 5,239,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerspicaciousE View Post
a regular PO can take the exams and move up the ladder. But, ... if management doesn't like you, you'll get screwed with.
I've said it often: "Ass-kissing and empire building are the stock-in-trade of any bureaucracy."
But, that doesn't mean that people can't get promoted.
Quote:
Sergeant ... spent the last 10 years working Midnights ... a Chief ... was transferred to a Precinct in Sheepshead Bay and ... lived in the Hudson Valley ... to get into some divisions ... you generally need to know someone.
Again, I agree. Again, no different that any other organization in the entire world. My father-in-law's advice, for a successful career: "Keep your boss happy." I'm not saying it's right, but it's real. I watched more people get ahead by going to lunch with their boss, than by performing their job well & receiving good evaluations.
Quote:
If anyone really wants to understand the NYPD, read the book NYPD Confidential, this journalist also has a blog and yes, there are police forums where you can witness the ranting about management.
NYPD Confidential by Leonard Levitt
THEE RANT Forum

Old 12-06-2012, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Wow... that's some view. Force city workers to live in the projects? NYC would have no chance of attracting even close to the best under that plan. "Work for us, but you must live in a brick building with no yard and amongst low-income families. You grew up in a nice house that your parents worked hard for to give you a good upbringing? Too bad, we want to play social engineer!"
So that's bad for the City to provide housing for its workers? Nobody is holding a gun to anybody's head to submit an application to work for the City. Maybe they can implement something like after you worked for the City for 10 years minimum then you could move out, or something to that effect.

Old 12-06-2012, 09:22 AM

Quote:
And under that logic, you would have to displace some of the people who live in the projects. So where do they go? Do you create more projects? Where is the space to? Or do those in the projects get to move into nice high rises on the UWS, or a brownstone in Park Slope or a house in Staten Island, all subsidized and paid for by the tax payer.
You really think NYCHA has no vacancies? It is their inept management combined with people scamming the system that makes people wait so long for an apartment. Around my way in Edgemere a third of the apartments are vacant. 28 buildings and a third of the apartments are vacant.

Old 12-06-2012, 09:28 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,905,293 times
Quote:
So that's bad for the City to provide housing for its workers? Nobody is holding a gun to anybody's head to submit an application to work for the City. Maybe they can implement something like after you worked for the City for 10 years minimum then you could move out, or something to that effect.
This is more reasonable.

The city should not (and probably cannot) provide housing to its thousands of workers. It's neither feasible nor fair. You can and probably should, require that they live within city limits but you cannot force them to live in a specific area within the city.

Nevertheless, I think a vesting period (10 yrs sounds about right) requiring them to live in the city before they can move out (within the state, of course) could be a workable compromise.

But again, we are just discussing hypothetical scenarios here.

This isn't happening anytime soon!

Old 12-06-2012, 09:46 AM

Quote:
You really think NYCHA has no vacancies? It is their inept management combined with people scamming the system that makes people wait so long for an apartment. Around my way in Edgemere a third of the apartments are vacant. 28 buildings and a third of the apartments are vacant.
So question.

Does forcing city workers to live in projects include ALL city workers? Including Department Commissioners, Judges, The Mayor?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City