Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 03:24 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,378,760 times

Advertisements

I don't mind graffitti at all, if you want to spray paint, smear dog poo, write in blood, or express yourself in any way, I encourage people to do it... on a canvas like other artists. If you do not have persmission to do it on someone's private/public property, that is where ALL OF THE PROBLEM IS! Anyone who loves graffitti and sees it as wonderful, will quickly change their mind when all of that "art" covers their home and car...all of a sudden it is now unwanted and vandalism. Why is that? If you want to graffitti, go for it, just get permission, otherwise you are just vandalising property..and if someone random person/people/gang were to do it all over your home, car, clothing, or your grandma's house, you would agree. Stop the hypocricy...if its vandalism when people do it to you..it is vandalism when you do it to others, or when other do it!

Old 04-15-2009, 06:04 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,702,074 times
Finally someone likes graffiti lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by makossa View Post
I Love It!!! - It's art, at least I think so. To each his own I guess, most seem to hate it. The bombed out trains were awesome IMO.

However, it did send a negative message that the city had lost control. But, back then I was young and that was part of the appeal.

Old 04-15-2009, 06:33 PM

3,210 posts, read 4,614,204 times
Eh, It doesn't really bother me. I hate it on trains, but everywhere else it's like whatever. Some of it is pretty neat too.

I guess my take on it is as someone who's still young, you realize kids could be doing much worse stuff than graff. I do agree with Guliani as far as the "Broken windows" theory goes, but then again, the city and many property owners really have no room to talk when it comes to enviormentally degrading behavior.

Old 04-15-2009, 06:47 PM

556 posts, read 1,446,094 times
Its about respect.

On churches, over already painted murals and nice marble is no place for it.

Old 04-15-2009, 10:15 PM

304 posts, read 1,304,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
I guess my take on it is as someone who's still young, you realize kids could be doing much worse stuff than graff. I do agree with Guliani as far as the "Broken windows" theory goes, but then again, the city and many property owners really have no room to talk when it comes to enviormentally degrading behavior.
Even the average mom wouldn't accept "could be doing worse stuff" as an excuse.

And "the city and many property owners" _do_ have room to gripe about graffiti -- since it's their property, and (one way or another) we all pay the price for the damage.
If "environmental degradation" is an issue, taggers should target developers, city officials, and CEOs -- not some guy's garage, mom 'n' pop storefronts, bodegas, some poor folks' apartment buildings, or the park/rec areas and transit that are used primarily by non-VIPs like themselves, their families/neighbors, and the rest of us schlubs.

Old 04-16-2009, 07:13 AM

504 posts, read 1,579,690 times
I saw graffiti so much living in NY It become a part of everyday life. I kind of miss it.

Old 04-16-2009, 10:52 AM

4,515 posts, read 9,702,074 times
I hear you brotha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc2va76 View Post
I saw graffiti so much living in NY It become a part of everyday life. I kind of miss it.

Old 04-16-2009, 11:40 AM

NYC2va, I understand that you miss the graffitti. Please provide your address, and your car make/model/license plate, and I will be sure to have people go there and provide lots of "art" all over your home and car. Feel free to also provide the addresses of your church, grammar/high school, office, etc so I can make sure to give you back all the "art" that you are missing. Same goes for u nycricanpapi.

Old 04-16-2009, 11:53 AM

2,625 posts, read 11,219,784 times
i love graffiti, i used to "bomb" back in the day, i loved the "wildstyle" style of new york, i think everybody that bombs was influenced by new york writers.My friend that grew up with me, started as a graff artist, now has his clothing line in l.a.
Scandalous Social Club - Los Angeles, CA

Old 04-16-2009, 12:11 PM

Levow..please read my comment above and provide your info as well so we can "bomb" your house, car, church, granny's house, and place of business. It would be my pleasure to provide you with the "wildstyle" of newyork that you crave...for free!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City