Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 03:57 PM

594 posts, read 1,633,989 times

Advertisements

New York City is one of the bluest parts of the entire country, of course you're not going to receive much resistance to anti-gun legislation there. Nobody cares.

And the drink thing received heavy criticism, Mr. OP, even on this very forum if you would care to do some research before you just blurt stuff out and/or make it up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2013, 04:04 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,297,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
No offense, but I throw up in my mouth whenever I read "slippery slope".
How do you feel about "grassy knoll?"

Old 01-11-2013, 04:24 PM

19,037 posts, read 13,948,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
How do you feel about "grassy knoll?"
I've never heard it used outside of a JFK discussion.

Old 01-11-2013, 04:28 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,297,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I've never heard it used outside of a JFK discussion.
If gun control was better in Texas, there would never have been any JFK discussions of that sort ...

Old 01-11-2013, 05:14 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,905,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
No offense taken (from anybody.....not on an Internet forum lol). We all have our differences. My main issue with him was that he seemed to be arguing against home protection.
No where on this forum I've argued or implied that I'm against keeping handguns at home. In fact, I said on the other thread "I have no problem with people keeping guns at home or their private businesses".

I do see a problem with civilians being able to purchase military-grade weapons. To which, you replied "it's a slippery slope"

Just setting the record straight. ..

Old 01-11-2013, 05:48 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,214,376 times
We had a number of posts back and forth between us on that thread where you seemed to feel it stupid to have a firearm in one's home. That one should be satisfied having other means of handling an intruder if that were to ever happen. The last post on the matter was me asking you if you're truly the toughest guy in the country, to which you didn't reply back.

Old 01-11-2013, 06:11 PM

2,871 posts, read 4,791,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergus75 View Post
After all, you laid down like sheep years ago, and didn't even put up a fight.

BTW, make sure you keep your drinks under 16 ounces, ok?
If you're going to start a fight you're in the wrong forum. Get your head in the game man. I'm not completely sure but I think Chicago may have the most restricted gun control laws in the country? Their fight will be even more interesting. Liberal Chicago gun control activists will ream you a new one, even more so than here in NYC.

But, you need only to go just outside Cook County and you'll find some real gun nuts (they should be on the Chicago forum as well). That would be a much more interesting argument because I'm sure you'll find more that will agree with you there. Unless, you're just looking to start stuff out of boredom, then stick around here.

Old 01-11-2013, 06:41 PM

94 posts, read 236,438 times
I'm from Kentucky. From a gun-owning family. My father is SERIOUSLY anti-gun control. I've heard all the arguments in the world.

But none of them change the fact that the US has some of the loosest gun control in the world, and it also has some of the highest violent crime. Look at the numbers. There have been almost 40 school shootings in the US since Columbine. There have been 14 in the rest of the word combined.

You can tell all sorts of individual stories about how having a gun saved a persons life while someone without a gun was hurt. I can give you just as many about how having a gun in the house caused MORE trouble, whether because the criminal got a hold of it first or because the homeowner panicked and shot a family member.

I"m not against guns as a whole. If people want to use them for hunting or target shooting, fine. But rifles are fine for that. Assault weapons are unnecessary for civilians. You can defend your home with a rifle, if that's your argument. And I am just fine with background checks and a long process to obtain a gun. In many states it's easier to own a gun than to get on a plane.

I'm a single, disabled woman in NYC. I don't own a gun. And I feel safer here than I have felt in any other city I've ever been in, including places where I lived with people with guns.

Old 01-11-2013, 07:02 PM

174 posts, read 415,125 times
I come from a country where guns are illegal and we are happy for it to stay that way. Its plain awful what happens with the innocent especially the children murdered. As a mother I will never understand this.

Old 01-11-2013, 07:10 PM

94 posts, read 236,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hutais View Post
I come from a country where guns are illegal and we are happy for it to stay that way. Its plain awful what happens with the innocent especially the children murdered. As a mother I will never understand this.
My former roommate was English, and she freaked out at seeing a police offer carrying a big gun. She told me about the gun laws there and about their crime rates. I did research on it myself. I won't lie - it made me seriously consider attempting to relocate to the UK. I love America, but with all these shootings in our public places - schools, malls, movie theaters - it feels like you constantly have to be on guard, you know?

I do think taking away ALL guns at this point would be a huge mistake for the US. But all the assault weapons can burn, in my opinion. No civilian NEEDS an automatic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City