Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 10:48 AM

19,058 posts, read 13,981,222 times

Advertisements

You're talking to the wrong person pal, I can legally carry my firearm anywhere I want in the country other than gun-free school zones (which are plain stupid, fwiw) and in banks in certain places.

The only two things I take issue with:

1. People from other areas who come in here to stroke their egos with idiotic threads like this.

2. The idea that no one in NYC can have a firearm. This is nothing more than a ridiculously obvious display of ignorance to the local laws here, considering any law abiding citizen can own a firearm in this city.

As previously stated, you yahoos are just wasting your time here. Go to the Chicago forum, a city where gun laws are far more restrictive. PS, take your anecdotes with you please. Anyone with 1/8 of a brain stopped using anecdotes to back up their arguments the second google was invented.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2013, 10:55 AM

94 posts, read 236,693 times
Quote:
As previously stated, you yahoos are just wasting your time here. Go to the Chicago forum, a city where gun laws are far more restrictive. PS, take your anecdotes with you please. Anyone with 1/8 of a brain stopped using anecdotes to back up their arguments the second google was invented.
Yep. LIke I said in my post, naming off cases where guns have saved lives is a waste of time, because I can give just as many stories where they've made things worse. Anecdotes aren't a reliable form of argument.

Old 01-12-2013, 11:02 AM

106,739 posts, read 108,937,910 times
The only story that matters is your own.

Old 01-12-2013, 11:17 AM

155 posts, read 458,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artisan4 View Post
Having lived in NYC and also in rural areas, I've never been threatened in NYC or felt the need for my gun. Where I have been accosted is in rural areas by white rednecks. Inbreeding is a *****, apparently. So when I go country I always place my trust in a Hi Power.
I would agree with you however if we were to experience something worse than hurricane Sandy in NYC that really impacted food, medicine and fuel supplies for a week or two, you would be one of the lucky ones to have a firearm to protect yourself. People were being critically attracted on gas lines and some were killed after Sandy. Predators of society were looting houses that were not protected. Even after the 911 catastrophe, apartment in battery park city were being looted. I never really wanted a firearm but now I'm rethinking that it maybe a wise thing to keep in a safe place in the house.

Old 01-12-2013, 05:52 PM

1,552 posts, read 2,331,095 times
I'm impressed by your logic and rhetorical skills. So you are law enforcement then, Airborne? That's the only national carry provision. What agency?

You prefer not to discuss things and just fling insults. Don't challenge me in my terrority. Please inform us of how many people can get a home permit for a firearm and how easy it is with expenses, figures and rates. Why are there specialized firms to help folks navigate the NYC laws and rules?

Show us you have something besides a rant.

Oh, anecdotes vs. data. The data are clear that AWBs don't work. Please tell that to Gov. Cuomo. The Sandy Hook horror is used to generate new laws on an anecdotal basis as the criminological data clearly indicate that gun control laws have had no effect on gun crime. If you are law enforcement - did you read the studies in a class?

Old 01-12-2013, 05:57 PM

A residence permit is a piece of cake to get in nyc . All you need is a squeaky clean record and the application fees. I know no one who was denied in my over 20 years involved with competitive shooting in nyc.

Those that were denied told their families and friends it was because of where they live or their race etc. The truth is always the same . They had blemishes on their record.

The firms out there are really wastes of money . They charge you to do what you can do easily on your own.

Old 01-12-2013, 06:26 PM

You are changing the goal posts bud. I'm not impressed. No one said anything about carry permits except for you, including the Supreme Court. Even the NRA has declined to challenge NYC's laws. The laws of this city do not preclude anyone from owning a firearm who is not already precluded by the federal government.

So again, take 'your territory' and bring it over to Chicago where you have an argument. Until then, you're wasting your time.

Old 01-12-2013, 06:36 PM

The nyc residence permit is so confusing no one can challenge it lol.

We have state law that says you can not be off the premise. We get a permission slip from the commisioner that says he says we can go to the range and hunt in contrast to state law that says we can not.

They send us into other areas of the state to hunt with a permission slip that is basically invalid out of the city.

We are all still trying to figure out what a nyc approved range is .

It is one huge mass confusion.

All this was challenged in court but basically the judge dismissed it because no one was arrested yet for being outside nyc with a residence permit.

The judge said the complaintent failed to show how the residence permit was a problem outside of nyc.

My guess is a memo went out state wide that said don't challenge nyc permit holders who may be hunting in your jurisdiction ,we don't want the headaches in court if you do.

Last edited by mathjak107; 01-12-2013 at 06:51 PM..

Old 01-12-2013, 07:38 PM

I've seen you mention this before. If you're talking about hunting with longarms, it's a moot point. Anyone with a valid hunting license in NY can be in possession of a long gun while hunting. You don't need a gun permit at all.

I still can't see what the other guy's issue is. Doesn't live here, doesn't have to follow the rules here, hasn't had anyone agree with him... It's horn-tooting and it's pointless.

Old 01-12-2013, 08:24 PM

94 posts, read 236,693 times
Seriously. I"d get it if he was a resident of NYC pissed he couldn't get a gun. (I'd still disagree with him on many issues, but at least then I'd understand the complaint). But if you don't live here and it's never been an issue for you, what is the point in bringing it up here other than to be a troll and to start drama?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City