Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 12:48 PM

1 posts, read 2,568 times

Advertisements

Hello people!

We are a family of 3. Husband fron NYC and I am from PR. We had a baby a year ago.
I was searching in the Bronx for an apartment.
By budget the Mott Haven area is more or less what we can afford.
We have no car so we rely on public transportation.

Is there any info or suggestions you people can give us?

Ps. Husband will work in the city I work from home.

Last edited by dsilva; 01-16-2013 at 01:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2013, 03:25 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,129,932 times
Go to the NYC forum.

And well, Mott Haven is pretty bad. But if it's all you can afford, it's all you can afford. But I'd try to look for an area that offers better value, if possible. (Because I'm hearing on the NYC forum that market-rate apartments in that area are starting to become expensive). What's your budget?

Old 02-08-2013, 05:49 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,168,752 times
I feel it's time to stop simply regarding a neighborhood as "bad", or "ghetto", or "dangerous".

We should instead explain why? This city is too expensive to disregard any area.

Anyway, yes, Mott Haven has higher rates of violent crime throughout then most of the city. However, depending on your level of tolerance, street smarts, working hours, the type of dwelling you live in, and your age can make a difference. At the same time crime has declined dramatically there and a lot of more stable working people have filled up the area.

If you looked at Mott Haven, I would also suggest Longwood and the Grand Concourse neighborhoods which also have good subway coverage. Melrose is farther from the subways but also an area to look at.

You can live car free in these areas, everything within walking distance. But I'll tell you the local public schools suck. Might not be a problem yet though.

Pelham Parkway/Bronx Park East and White Plains Road/Allerton Ave is another place to look at though the median rents are higher (crime rates lower too). 2 train neighborhoods.

Last edited by nykiddo718718; 02-08-2013 at 05:58 PM..

Old 02-09-2013, 02:01 PM

912 posts, read 2,099,637 times
What is your budget?

Old 02-09-2013, 02:27 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,403,971 times
Would you be looking to move before you need the public school system? If not, then I would look to the best school area you can afford, even if it means a longer commute from areas of Queens or SI. To a degree, one can mitigate exposure to crime and propensity to it by exercising common sense and trusting street smarts, but underperforming schools with social and academic issues are not as easy to change, short of relocating to another neighborhood.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 02-09-2013, 04:30 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsilva View Post
Hello people!

We are a family of 3. Husband fron NYC and I am from PR. We had a baby a year ago.

I would not refer families to Mott Haven due to the fact of the quality of life issues but the schools in the area are poor at best, but hey I came out alright growing up in Mott Haven but from my perspective I would rather raise a family in an area with good schools. And another sad note that the Catholic school St Jeromes is closing down in the area by the end of this school year which provided working and middle class residents of the area with the means of providing good education for their kids is all but gone. If Mott Haven is all that you can afford, than its all that you and your Husband can afford, my best bet is to save money and try to purchase or move somewhere else with a good school district for your child since now your baby is only a toddler. Like I said if Mott Haven is what you can afford than its what you can afford.

Old 02-09-2013, 04:51 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,251,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsilva View Post
Hello people!

If you can afford Mott Haven then you can afford many other hoods with proximity to train in South Bronx. Why Mott Haven specifically? Morrisania for example north of Prospect, Intervale and Simpson 2 train stops. The area is not so dense as Mott Haven and you don't have to deal with housing projects next door. More "lebensraum" in the few tenements which are still standing for just as cheap as Mott Haven if not cheaper.

Old 02-15-2013, 06:37 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,251,217 times
Here's a real bargain in the West Farms section of South Bronx! 2 bedroom $1250/month. 6 blocks to the subway.

2114 Daly Avenue, Bronx NY - Trulia

Last edited by Northwindsforever; 02-15-2013 at 07:09 AM..

Old 02-15-2013, 07:14 AM

2,801 posts, read 3,859,178 times
IMO, there are better parts of the Bronx you should look at.

The Longwood neighbourhood is very affordable, has lower rates of crime compared to Mott Haven, and is close to the subway. The area south of 163rd from Prospect to the Bruckner is much nicer than Mott Haven, and has lots of rental units.

Also, consider the neighbourhoods that border the Grand Concourse, like Mount Eden, Mount Hope, Morris Heights, etc. Also, the area just north of Westchester in the Soundview neighbourhood is pretty good compared to the area south of Westchester, and the subway/el runs right along Westchester so it's very convenient.

IMO, Mott Haven / Melrose is the last place in the Bronx I would choose to live (no offence to anyone). It does have its charms like the Hub, all the colorful brownstones east of Willis and north of 138th, 138th itself, which is a busy commercial street. But Mott Haven has more housing projects than any other hood in the Bronx and has probably rebounded the least of the many neighbourhoods that were destroyed during the 70's. There are better spots in the SB that are just as affordable as Mott Haven. Do your reading, walk around the Bronx, and find a block that suits your needs. Make sure you walk the area during the day and at night, cause some hoods change A LOT at night, and what may seem cool during the day seems less than cool when the sun goes down.

Old 02-15-2013, 07:21 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOkidd View Post
IMO, there are better parts of the Bronx you should look at.

The Longwood neighbourhood is very affordable, has lower rates of crime compared to Mott Haven, and is close to the subway. The area south of 163rd from Prospect to the Bruckner is much nicer than Mott Haven, and has lots of rental units.

Also, consider the neighbourhoods that border the Grand Concourse, like Mount Eden, Mount Hope, Morris Heights, etc. Also, the area just north of Westchester in the Soundview neighbourhood is pretty good compared to the area south of Westchester, and the subway/el runs right along Westchester so it's very convenient.

IMO, Mott Haven / Melrose is the last place in the Bronx I would choose to live (no offence to anyone). It does have its charms like the Hub, all the colorful brownstones east of Willis and north of 138th, 138th itself, which is a busy commercial street. But Mott Haven has more housing projects than any other hood in the Bronx and has probably rebounded the least of the many neighbourhoods that were destroyed during the 70's. There are better spots in the SB that are just as affordable as Mott Haven. Do your reading, walk around the Bronx, and find a block that suits your needs. Make sure you walk the area during the day and at night, cause some hoods change A LOT at night, and what may seem cool during the day seems less than cool when the sun goes down.
Hell Mott Haven is a bit to expensive for what it is. Actually some parts of thr Bronx are just as worst as Mott Haven but I wouldnt recommended neither areas you mentioned for a family. The areas west of Jerome avenue are a dump.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City