Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 09:10 AM

6,476 posts, read 7,322,267 times

Advertisements

The only -and I mean only -sort of inequality that is rightly the business of any government is inequality before the law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2013, 09:15 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,401,825 times
should he? did I say he should give me a dime?
meanwhile obama continues to save rich people
a lot of money while basically taxing the hell out
of the rest of us to make up for it.

me move to another country?

you move your biscuit butt to another country or back where
your immigrant parents came from, know-it-all. america is my
country; always have been and always will be, for better or worse.
my people built this country for free, you dig?

you got a lotta nerve to tell me where I should go.
100% all-american is all I am yo.

Old 04-24-2013, 09:18 AM

2,848 posts, read 7,579,327 times
Keep in mind that the account with $100 might be one of many accounts the guy has....

I know I personally have more than one bank account!

Old 04-24-2013, 09:18 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BinxBolling View Post
Do people really keep a million dollars in a savings account?
We don't know the whole story. It's possible that it was proceeds from a real estate sale or inheritance or even a 401K/IRA recently deposited there and not moved yet.

Many people have well over a million in real estate holdings and retirement accounts. It doesn't mean that they are rich. The average adult should plan on having at minimum $1M in retirement accounts by the time they are 65. Those who don't face poverty in retirement. That amount isn't going to go far, which is why most experts suggest $2M or more per adult for retirement.

Old 04-24-2013, 09:20 AM

5,000 posts, read 8,214,988 times
Quote:
should he? did I say he should give me a dime?
You sure as hell implied it...

Old 04-24-2013, 09:20 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc33433 View Post
Keep in mind that the account with $100 might be one of many accounts the guy has....

I know I personally have more than one bank account!
This. I have a credit union account with no fees. I keep about $500 in the savings and $50 or so in the checking. Once a year I move $10 between the two so there is activity. I keep the accounts because the CU can sometimes offer the best rates for loans should I ever need one. Plus they give me free checks with Mickey Mouse on them.

Old 04-24-2013, 10:16 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,811,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
i can't believe he blamed obama for taking from the rich to give to the poor.

obama has not given me a dime since he has been in office.

all i see is gentrification everywhere, nothing for poor people except
the same old run down living conditions.
You must not pay taxes, or earn too much, which apparently isn't the case, as you classify yourself as "poor".

Didn't you get your "Stimulus" tax rebate, last year, or was that the year before?

No rebate in my house.

It was interesting as I ran into people who were so pleased to get checks of a few hundred dollars, as if that could change their lives. In my eye, it simply marked one as being under a certain income level.

The "Stimulus" check couldn't be more evident of those who receive and those who pay.

Quote:
nothing for poor people except
the same old run down living conditions.
What do you expect? Some monument to the perpetuation of being poor, locking in generation after generation?

Your mentality speaks volumes!

What "poor people" *get* and should want to get, is to be NOT POOR! Why would you want conditions for poor people to be *improved*? That is oxymoronic! Improved conditions or not, you'd still be poor!!

What you want is *increased* opportunites to NOT be poor; rather than the Government, taxing the 'not poor' and spending it to make 'the poor' more comfortable and REMAINING poor!! Is that what you want?

Better conditions should not be the judgment. DECREASING numbers of poor is the only true marker of improvement.

For example, rather than ballooning the Deficit paying for programs, increasing programs, and other 'make conditions better' schemes, the Government and the President s/b fostering and encouraging the American *entreprenurial* spirit! Get out there and make your own business, rather than waiting around for someone else to give you a JOB!

A whole generation of educated whiners upset because they can't find a job. Create one!

The Government should be reducing barriers, eliminating onerous regulations and burdensome taxes, streamlining and reducing obstacles stemming entreprenureship. Instead, the Obama and Bloomberg administrations are bent upon creating greater burdens upon the small business owner, and budding entrepreneur.

Old 04-24-2013, 10:22 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,241,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnayyy View Post
exactly! who would do that? Especially since only 250k of that money is back by the government. If a bank run happens, he loses out on 750k!

that million dollars in a savings account probably doesn't even make 1% interest.
They probably have way more money kept elsewhere, this is just their "spending money". Probably whatever they have from a few weeks of salary. This is like their loose change.

Old 04-24-2013, 10:24 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,401,825 times
^2 there is whining on all sides so why can't I tell it like
it is from my perspective? don't tell me not to beef about
anything if you're just going to do the same thing?

i was not pointing you out or blaming anyone, so why are
you rapping?

Old 04-24-2013, 10:25 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,811,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
We don't know the whole story. It's possible that it was proceeds from a real estate sale or inheritance or even a 401K/IRA recently deposited there and not moved yet.

Many people have well over a million in real estate holdings and retirement accounts. It doesn't mean that they are rich. The average adult should plan on having at minimum $1M in retirement accounts by the time they are 65. Those who don't face poverty in retirement. That amount isn't going to go far, which is why most experts suggest $2M or more per adult for retirement.
One million in non liquid assets is FAR FAR different than $1M in liquid CASH!

The paper profis on your real estate is just that on paper! Until it is turned into cash.

Similarly, if you wished to 'cash out' your retirement account, in order to maximize your return, you'd have to sell the assests over a short or long period, in addition to the fact you w/b charged siginificant fees reducing the take.

Think, a million in cash, can be leveraged into multiple millions of real estate and hard assets, and income. Being "liquid" is a whole nother state of financial being.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City