Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 12:11 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,052,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Notice the Post doesn't cite their source for their claims that 70% of babies in the Bronx or 73% of Blacks are born to single mothers.

The NY Post is hardly a credible source for anything.

With that said, Bloomberg's campaign was aimed at unplanned pregnancies in general, not just of teenage mothers. I think its good he brought this up.

Homelessness is up in the city because Washington, City Hall, and Albany slaughtered housing programs and other welfare subsidies. I agree with you, BronxGuyanese, its going to get worse as the House Republicans force through additional cuts to the budget.

Its really why the city pushed gentrification to begin with, since Giuliani. With federal money for Section 8 and other welfare programs drying up, having lots of poor people became a liability that the city government simply could not afford. So they wanted wealthier people who were taxpayers to replace them. Did innocent working class people get harmed?

No doubt, they did get hurt. Unfortunately working class people have been casualties since Moses and Lindsay flooded the city with easy welfare and housing projects (working class people in those days at times had to live in very bad neighborhoods full of crime or leave the city).
Richard Florida had to tune down his theory on creative class as well as Joel Kotkin even said that the Creative Class which is part of gentrification can't save NYC as a whole, it may save Williamsburg, and preserve the East Village as an area of hip cool, intelligentsia for many years to come but its impossible for a thing like gentrification to save the city. Who ever is lucky to cash in on this will have money for when it becomes a rainy day. Working class people may have to shell out more tax dollars, working class folks pinch to many pennies in their pockets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2013, 12:30 PM

5,464 posts, read 5,713,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Working class people may have to shell out more tax dollars, working class folks pinch to many pennies in their pockets.
The two main problems for the city are middle class housing inventory and a huge poor population. We basically have 1/3 of the city living off the other 2/3rds.

Old 04-24-2013, 12:35 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,984,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Richard Florida had to tune down his theory on creative class as well as Joel Kotkin even said that the Creative Class which is part of gentrification can't save NYC as a whole, it may save Williamsburg, and preserve the East Village as an area of hip cool, intelligentsia for many years to come but its impossible for a thing like gentrification to save the city. Who ever is lucky to cash in on this will have money for when it becomes a rainy day. Working class people may have to shell out more tax dollars, working class folks pinch to many pennies in their pockets.
You have more than gentrification going on. The city's economy has changed, and on top of that, you've huge cut backs to social programs.

Old 04-24-2013, 01:28 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,407,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
The two main problems for the city are middle class housing inventory and a huge poor population. We basically have 1/3 of the city living off the other 2/3rds.

that's not sustainable but ny's economy started off worse than that during slavery.
It was more like 50/50, so I wonder how that 70/30 trend will ever really cease
with the way this country is being run. nobody really wants to bother with those facts.
somebody gotta be rich but most people gotta be poor to keep this ship in shape. too bad so many people are mad at poor people who beat the system, but how can you really blame them if the rich are doing it even more?

it's people who work who have to pay all the bills for america. we're just the help, nothing less, nothing more. everyone else is lucky we need the money but it's all really a scam when you look at it through history. why do you think america is always outsourcing plus needing illegal immigrants for cheap labor?

Old 04-24-2013, 02:00 PM

1,496 posts, read 2,238,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BinxBolling View Post
Do people really keep a million dollars in a savings account?
ANyone with a million bucks in a Chase savings account is either up to no good, or knows something we don't know, or needs to take their fiscal advisor out behind the barn and shoot them like a dog.

Old 04-24-2013, 03:15 PM

5,464 posts, read 5,713,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by high iron View Post
ANyone with a million bucks in a Chase savings account is either up to no good, or knows something we don't know, or needs to take their fiscal advisor out behind the barn and shoot them like a dog.
That savings account is not from Chase, note the surcharge. If you have a $1mil from Chase, you qualify for Premier and never get those charges at any ATMs.

Old 04-24-2013, 05:12 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,052,004 times
It's so bad that the US military even canceled fleet week. Uncle Sam gotta save money.

New York City Fleet Week Canceled Due To Sequestration

Old 04-24-2013, 06:03 PM

19,058 posts, read 13,973,458 times
Which really sucks because I had a private tour lined up for one of the ships via my best friend's brother who is 3rd in command.

Old 04-25-2013, 12:14 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,984,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by high iron View Post
How do you know they are up to no good? They could have just gotten paid for something. Or perhaps they have most of their real money elsewhere, and the one million is just there for readily available cash.

Old 04-25-2013, 06:28 AM

6,476 posts, read 7,325,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
should he? did I say he should give me a dime?
meanwhile obama continues to save rich people
a lot of money while basically taxing the hell out
of the rest of us to make up for it.

me move to another country?

you move your biscuit butt to another country or back where
your immigrant parents came from, know-it-all. america is my
country; always have been and always will be, for better or worse.
my people built this country for free, you dig?

you got a lotta nerve to tell me where I should go.
100% all-american is all I am yo.
Needs more cow bell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City