Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2013, 07:31 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
There is a sizable Arab community in the north part but other than that, I have only seen white people in Bay Ridge. I wouldn't want to live there but to each his own.

I have lived in Queens for 50 years and have watched the changes over time. There are parts here and there that are isolated and very white but where I live is beautiful, and very diverse.
And in the past most of Queens was nearly all white. It got a lot more diverse starting post WW2.

It would not be diverse today if non whites shrieked in fear from every predominately white neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2013, 08:02 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,304,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Truthfully, I'm sure that those types of tactics have been used everywhere in the country. So what? You move on to the next person until you get the housing where you want. DUH! Double Duh!

When you apply for anything, be it housing, jobs, or educational programs, you often have to apply to a lot before you get what you want. That's just the way life goes the world over, ultimately for people of all races.

So again, what's your real beef? The Op and her husband should give up on Bay Ridge and move to Brownsville. because some white people in Bay Ridge might be prejudiced?
I don't see the point in going somewhere where they won't be cared for and wasting their time going through the application process (if they get that far) and having their credit dinged just to be told they didn't get it. Looking for apartments is a tiring and expensive process and I don't see why anyone would want to subject themselves to that if they can have an easier time elsewhere. There are plenty of other nice and affordable neighborhoods that they can move to, so I don't know why you're bringing up Brownsville for as if their only option is Bay Ridge or the ghetto.

We have a higher White majority here and yet we have a bigger Black population than Bay Ridge does...

//www.city-data.com/neighborhoo...-Bronx-NY.html

//www.city-data.com/neighborhoo...ooklyn-NY.html

In fact I even see a few interrcial couples here from time to time. Not many, but certainly more than you would see in Bay Ridge.

Old 06-01-2013, 08:22 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,353,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
And in the past most of Queens was nearly all white. It got a lot more diverse starting post WW2.

It would not be diverse today if non whites shrieked in fear from every predominately white neighborhood.
Who is shrieking in fear? I have lived in pred white communities. I'm talking about preference. My neighbors are white, black, latino, asian, african, gay. I love where I live. Diversity is important TO ME.

Besides, I have a great commute that I wouldn't give up for the slow R train.

Old 06-01-2013, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosvenor View Post
I don't see the point in going somewhere where they won't be cared for and wasting their time going through the application process (if they get that far) and having their credit dinged just to be told they didn't get it. Looking for apartments is a tiring and expensive process and I don't see why anyone would want to subject themselves to that if they can have an easier time elsewhere. There are plenty of other nice and affordable neighborhoods that they can move to, so I don't know why you're bringing up Brownsville for as if their only option is Bay Ridge or the ghetto.

We have a higher White majority here and yet we have a bigger Black population than Bay Ridge does...

//www.city-data.com/neighborhoo...-Bronx-NY.html

//www.city-data.com/neighborhoo...ooklyn-NY.html

In fact I even see a few interrcial couples here from time to time. Not many, but certainly more than you would see in Bay Ridge.
Ditto on the bold.

Old 06-01-2013, 08:30 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,314,170 times
[quote=Bronxguyanese;29814285]Repped you.

I agree with you. Most progressive Brooklyn neighborhoods tend to be very liberal and highly educated like Park Slope, Clinton Hill, baby stroller Williamsburg, Western edges of Bedstuy, Propspect Heights, Greenpoint. Bay Ridge is a traditional classic NYC neighborhood and that's not going to change anytime soon, and its very affordable for working class, middle class blue collar and city workers. It is a diverse neighborhood and I'm sure Hispanics may date whites and vice versa or maybe middle easterners date outside their race or what not but its looked down upon if these groups date Blacks. But I think its best for the OP to live in North Western Brooklyn which is more accepting of Black and White interracial relationship such as Park Slope or Fort Green.[/QUOTE]

Is this really true? Upper-class white liberals may like to tell themselves this, but how many of these of these white yuppie women have black boyfriends/husbands? How many of these strollers being pushed around Park Slope have half-black babies in them? I come from a working-class city neighborhood where white girls who have half-black children are pretty common. Such a situation is not, however, very common among "educated progressives," regardless of what they'll try to tell you.

Old 06-01-2013, 08:36 PM

[quote=fat lou;29831413]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Repped you.

I agree with you. Most progressive Brooklyn neighborhoods tend to be very liberal and highly educated like Park Slope, Clinton Hill, baby stroller Williamsburg, Western edges of Bedstuy, Propspect Heights, Greenpoint. Bay Ridge is a traditional classic NYC neighborhood and that's not going to change anytime soon, and its very affordable for working class, middle class blue collar and city workers. It is a diverse neighborhood and I'm sure Hispanics may date whites and vice versa or maybe middle easterners date outside their race or what not but its looked down upon if these groups date Blacks. But I think its best for the OP to live in North Western Brooklyn which is more accepting of Black and White interracial relationship such as Park Slope or Fort Green.[/QUOTE]

Is this really true? Upper-class white liberals may like to tell themselves this, but how many of these of these white yuppie women have black boyfriends/husbands? How many of these strollers being pushed around Park Slope have half-black babies in them? I come from a working-class city neighborhood where white girls who have half-black children are pretty common. Such a situation is not, however, very common among "educated progressives," regardless of what they'll try to tell you.
In my neighborhood you see a white-black children in strollers being pushed by their black mothers (not the babysitter). There are also a lot of white-asian children.

Last edited by queensgrl; 06-01-2013 at 08:53 PM..

Old 06-01-2013, 08:45 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,653,602 times
White + Asian is very common these days. However, Black + Asian is extremely rare.

Old 06-01-2013, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill83 View Post
White + Asian is very common these days. However, Black + Asian is extremely rare.
White Man + Asian Woman is very common. I rarely see Asian Man + White Woman.

Old 06-01-2013, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
Who is shrieking in fear? I have lived in pred white communities. I'm talking about preference. My neighbors are white, black, latino, asian, african, gay. I love where I live. Diversity is important TO ME.

Besides, I have a great commute that I wouldn't give up for the slow R train.
Yes, you, but that has nothing to do with whether Bay Ridge would be hostile to the OP's husband or daughter. She was wondering if they would have problems, and she said she wanted to stay in Brooklyn.

Old 06-01-2013, 09:25 PM

[quote=fat lou;29831413]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Repped you.

You do see educated professionals who will marry educated professionals, of other races.

A white yuppie woman would have a black boyfriend or husband, but he's going to be a well off person. Her family and friends just aren't going to tolerate someone from the hood.

Among poor whites, were single motherhood has become pretty common, yes, you'll see a lot of white women with mixed/black babies. But among more professional women (of all races) they aren't having children till they have stability/moved up in their career, and often wait till they are older to get married.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City