Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 04:58 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,362,517 times

Advertisements

Well off = white folks.
At least that's the mentality of those hating the well off.

Take from it what you will but it won't end well either way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2013, 05:15 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,070,140 times
Sometimes well off can be known as sellouts in up and coming and gentry areas. I advice those who local educated, working a stable or career job and own property in areas like Harlem. Bedstuy, Mott Haven, Bushwick, Crown Heights, Washington Heights, Bushwick to be very careful and do not flaunt your agenda around these places amongst the majority populace. With plenty of people unemployed or underemployed , and with plenty of folks coming from abroad but also from the American Midwest seeking employment opportunities after college. I smell a recipe for disaster. Hopefully things will change in the next 5 months when Bloomberg is gone. Well off can be anybody but yes it is mostly white, but if you want to break it down the top of the cream is mostly old blood blood Wasp/Dutch and current money Jews! But increasingly many Easterners from China, Russia and India are spending and bringing their wealth to the city along with those from Latin America.

Old 08-09-2013, 05:19 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,329,185 times
Really needed to start a new thread for this post? I'm sure you could of embedded it into 90% of the threads out there. Either way, that's what happens when politicians use blame to get their agenda across or need scapegoats to rationalize economic or social ills.

Old 08-09-2013, 05:28 PM

530 posts, read 1,361,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
Well off = white folks.
At least that's the mentality of those hating the well off.

Take from it what you will but it won't end well either way.
Most of the people on extremely high incomes in NYC are white people. Including most of the do-little jobs for college grads that pay $70k+ right off the bat. So taking into account the disparities, it is natural for people to feel some animosity.

But i'm in no place to hate the rich white people since I have a decent job and come from a reasonably well off family so there's no animosity coming from here (i'm black).

Old 08-09-2013, 05:36 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,939,623 times
People in general are really dumb and growing dumber, and they can usually only manage the stupidest of knee-jerk reactions to anything. That means ... bash anyone who seems like they have money. Which is usually someone who does not, or who only has a little.

Many of our friends fear the poor, in my opinion. I therefore think that it depends on a given person's attitude ...

Old 08-09-2013, 05:37 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,939,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrestigiousReputability View Post
Most of the people on extremely high incomes in NYC are white people.
I would say most, rather than "many," but I have begun to think that my view is particular to a very specific world so I could be wrong.

Old 08-09-2013, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Most of the people on extremely high incomes in NYC are white people. Including most of the do-little jobs for college grads that pay $70k+ right off the bat. So taking into account the disparities, it is natural for people to feel some animosity.

But i'm in no place to hate the rich white people since I have a decent job and come from a reasonably well off family so there's no animosity coming from here (i'm black).
If you think there are many 70k do-little private sector jobs out there then you're out of your mind. I can assure you that there are very, very, very few 70k entry level jobs in the private sector or any sector for that matter.

There are plenty of do little 70k public sector jobs but there are plenty of non whites working for the city. In fact, whites are vanishing from public sector work in NYC.

Do whites occupy most of the better corporate jobs in NYC? Yes. Why? Because they tend to be better educated. A college degree puts many minorities at the top relative to their peers but for white folks, a college degree means doo doo. It isn't even worth the paper it's printed on.

The competition for quality corporate jobs is intense but most don't get that. A simple college degree doesn't mean squat.

If one has an AAS degree in sociology or a BA in social work, do they really expect to get a good corporate job unless they have connections or further their education?
What are the percentage of Blacks/Hispanics with engineering or technical degrees? It's probably way under 5% (prob under 1%).

To be honest, the most hate/animosity that I see comes from Caribbean blacks. I don't know the deal but whitey seems like the devil incarnate to them. Asian immigrants know what the deal is ( education/luck/hard work) and Hispanic immigrants just tend to keep their head down, work really, really hard and keep on trucking.

Carribean immigrants seem to have a sense of entitlement like NYC/America owes them something. Why is that?

Last edited by wawaweewa; 08-09-2013 at 06:05 PM..

Old 08-09-2013, 06:07 PM

530 posts, read 1,361,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
If you think there are many 70k do-little private sector jobs out there then you're out of your mind. I can assure you that there are very, very, very few 70k entry level jobs in the private sector or any sector for that matter.

There are plenty of do little 70k public sector jobs but there are plenty of non whites working for the city. In fact, whites are vanishing from public sector work.

Do whites occupy most of the better corporate jobs in NYC? Yes. Why? Because they tend to be better educated. A college degree puts many minorities at the top relative to their peers but for white folks, a college degree means doo doo. It isn't even worth the paper it's printed on.

The competition for quality corporate jobs is intense but most don't get that.

If one has an AAS degree in sociology or a BA in social work, do they really expect to get a good corporate job unless they have connections or further their education?
What are the percentage of Blacks/Hispanics with engineering or technical degrees? It's probably way under 5% (prob under 1%).

To be honest, the most hate/animosity that I see comes from Caribbean blacks. I don't know the deal but whitey seems like the devil incarnate to them. Asian immigrants know what the deal is ( education/luck/hard work) and Hispanic immigrants just tend to keep their head down, work really, really hard and keep on trucking.

Carribean immigrants seem to have a sense of entitlement like NYC/America owes them something. Why is that?
I will agree that many of the ultra-high paying jobs for college grads started to slowly go away in the late 2000's as a result of the recession, but most of the ones who benefited from them the most are whites.

As for the Caribbean thing, that is a sweeping generalization. I am Black Caribbean-American descended and neither of my parents nor I feel that way. I actually grew up in a largely Caribbean-American community and didn't witness much of that. One large portion of my family almost exclusively interracially dates (almost all of one of my grandmother's descendants)- if that means anything.

Old 08-09-2013, 06:15 PM

Quote:
I will agree that many of the ultra-high paying jobs for college grads started to slowly go away in the late 2000's as a result of the recession, but most of the ones who benefited from them the most are whites.

As for the Caribbean thing, that is a sweeping generalization. I am Black Caribbean-American descended and neither of my parents nor I feel that way. I actually grew up in a largely Caribbean-American town and didn't witness much of that. One large portion of my family almost exclusively interracially dates (almost all of one of my grandmother's descendants)- if that means anything.
There were 50-55K out of college jobs out there but 70k? The only jobs that paid that well (and still do) out of college are IB/corp finance jobs and I wouldn't call them do-little jobs.

Also, yes, whites benefited the most but that's because they tend(ed) to be the most educated. You can argue whites have an advantage when it comes to education but that's a different story. It's like me arguing that there should be more whites in pro sports and ignoring the fact that non whites are just better athletes at higher levels ( some genetically and some because they play/practice/compete more when they're young).

As for the Caribbean comment; it is a sweeping generalization so of course it doesn't apply to all Caribbean immigrants. However, I grew up and live in Brooklyn and the general feeling is palpable. I don't get the same vibe from Asian/Hispanic/ Eastern Euro immigrants.

Old 08-09-2013, 07:16 PM

2,727 posts, read 2,837,884 times
Starting compensation at investment banks is generally over $70k but it is far from all white. I'd say the racial diversity of the banking entry level programs is rather representative of the demographics of the country.

And what magically changes when Bloomberg leaves office that there will just be an abundance of free money for whoever wants it? Please tell me his policies that are 'holding people down'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City