Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 07:21 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,251,946 times

Advertisements

Some jobs aren't really meant to be living wage type of jobs. They are low-skill low wage jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2013, 08:12 AM

345 posts, read 854,183 times
I really don't think it's just the money. My cousin worked at Mcdonald's and she wasn't guaranteed a set number of hours. If she was told to come work 9-5 and around 2pm things slowed down, she was told to leave without getting paid from 2-5pm. I wouldn't mind getting $7 a hr, if I knew I had guaranteed hours.

Old 08-01-2013, 08:18 AM

345 posts, read 854,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Fire them all and start hiring kids again. Other than managers, fast food was never a career. They already get exactly what they are worth: minimum wage.
I could go back 40 years and say that about the auto industry. How much do those people get paid for manual labor now.

Old 08-01-2013, 08:20 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,869,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd10025 View Post
I wouldn't mind getting $7 a hr, if I knew I had guaranteed hours.
Nothing is guaranteed in the food retail business. If employers are paying hourly rates it's because they want to keep costs variable.

Old 08-01-2013, 08:21 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,068,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycangel View Post
Let them all strike and the place be closed down. No one needs to be eating that "food" anyways. McDonald's=Obesity in America.
Lets all go to KFC instead.

Old 08-01-2013, 08:24 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,068,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd10025 View Post
I could go back 40 years and say that about the auto industry. How much do those people get paid for manual labor now.
Please study a bit more before making such a ridiculous statement. Auto workers were high paid in the post war era.

Old 08-01-2013, 08:35 AM

706 posts, read 1,042,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Not really. Keep targetting the industry and keep pushing the point McDonalds is only viable because its workers are getting cash assistance, food stamps, and medcaid. In short, money is taking from taxpayers, and used to subsidize the operations of fast food workers.

Something is wrong with a business model if needs government subsidizes like that . They need to pay their workers enough money not to do welfare. You need reform in McDonalds labor practices and business models.

Which should also bring up welfare reform. If welfare for the individual "poor" person, or is it really a way to subsidize businesses and FAILING business models? Because if your workers can't survive on the wages you pay and you're a large corporation, you have a failing business that needs to go UNDER.

Now, if McDonalds and other companies like this can afford to pay more money, then they need to. Plain and simple, after all, these are Fortune 500 companies, not Mom and Pop Stores.

Its amazing, that comparatively poor people rush to defend the CEOs of wealthy fast food operations, though they will never see that degree of success in their own careers.
the biggest retailer, Wal-Mart, does the same thing.

Old 08-01-2013, 09:08 AM

4,511 posts, read 4,048,891 times
Any job that doesn't pay you enough to save money so you can eventually save up enough to better your situation, is slavery. period.

Old 08-01-2013, 09:24 AM

5,209 posts, read 4,675,356 times
I don't get this notion that fast food workers don't deserve to get paid $15/hr. Fast food workers, like any other employees, deserve to get paid as much as their employers are willing to pay them. If the result of these strikes is the employer conceding to pay them higher wages, then good for them. A lot of you must be envisioning the high school dropout with no tangible skills working these dead end jobs so they deserve nothing more than minimum wage. That may be the case now but don't you think once the salary becomes attractive enough, these people will face competition from more competent workers vying for employment as well? At the end of the day, are you more concerned that these people might be earning more than their worth or the price of Big Macs going up? You always have the choice of eating elsewhere.

Old 08-01-2013, 09:28 AM

18,478 posts, read 31,656,752 times
FF jobs are for college kids needing to earn money for books etc., or a P/T job for extra cash.
FF jobs are for immigrants that do not have any education.

FF jobs are not meant to support of family of 6...........or to be a life long career.

Also if you take a job and you know it is 15 dollars an hour, no one forced you to take it. So why should they go on strike.

How much could mcD's possibly pay someone, really?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: