Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 05:03 PM

101 posts, read 173,809 times

Advertisements

So after evaluating some things, I decided to move to NYC within the next 5-7 months, hoping to beat the rush of college grads looking for a place. And right now, I'm kind of struggling with whether to try to get my own place or get a roommate (or two...I don't really want to live with several people).

My thought process is as such:

Roommate:

I could live in a nicer place and pay lower rent, which will save money and help me have more fun in the city than I might paying for everything on my own. I could even make a friend. On the flip side, my roommate could be deadbeat and stop paying the rent, which would put me in a rough financial spot, as my budget for my own place is kind of limited. Also, I feel like living with a roommate means that I wouldn't truly learn how to live independently even if the other person isn't taking care of me per se. I could also get stuck with someone who lies about who they are (e.g. says they are quiet, but ends up coming home drunk or partying a lot). As a secondary issue, I'm already 28 and five years out of school. I've heard people older than me have roommates in NYC, but I'm still kind of worried about the stigma.

Own place:

I would feel responsible and more independent and finally get a taste of having all the say in my place. I wouldn't have to answer to anyone. I work from home most days (I anticipate going to my office 1-2 times a week once I move unless expectations change and I have to go more often) and I wouldn't have to worry about sorting through roommate ads that request someone who doesn't work from home. On the flipside, I know it will be hard without tons of money to spend on an apartment every month and will have to handle paying any utilities not included. However, I am willing to sacrifice certain things like having cable, not having laundry in my building, etc.

What should I do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2013, 05:15 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,297,214 times
New Yorkers, especially Manhattanites, have roommates at all ages.

What's your budget? Hypothetical cost-benefit analysis is not helpful. You have to compare potential apartments in real neighborhoods.

Old 09-03-2013, 05:17 PM

106 posts, read 129,441 times
Without question, get your own place!

Old 09-03-2013, 05:24 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,618,810 times
What's your budget?

Old 09-03-2013, 05:46 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,238,729 times
If you work from home get your own place. No one wants a roommate always home.

Old 09-03-2013, 05:46 PM

My 30% only calls for $925 a month, but I'm willing to pay more...nothing extreme but maybe up to $1,100 or so.

If I live alone, I'm obviously not worried about a huge space, as I won't be bringing any pets or a partner with me.

Old 09-03-2013, 06:20 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,618,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackGoldPride View Post
My 30% only calls for $925 a month, but I'm willing to pay more...nothing extreme but maybe up to $1,100 or so.

If I live alone, I'm obviously not worried about a huge space, as I won't be bringing any pets or a partner with me.
$1100 is a tough budget. With some effort you can probably find a studio for that in southern Brooklyn or parts of Queens though. There are many threads here comparing neighborhood safety, amenities, etc.

One thing to be aware of is that most landlords REQUIRE that you make 40x the rent, or have a guarantor.

Old 09-03-2013, 06:38 PM

I know...and I wish I had more of a budget, but I do really like my job/company and right now, I'm not ready to leave them just for the purpose of making more money. It would be nice to make more, but I'll probably have to see if I get promoted again. (I just got promoted about seven months ago, so I can't realistically expect another one for 1-2 years.)

Old 09-03-2013, 06:47 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,297,214 times
Your budget makes the answer self-evident: get a roommate.

Old 09-03-2013, 07:18 PM

1,739 posts, read 2,568,734 times
BlackGoldPride,

If I was you I'd get a roommate. I've seen you come to this forum several times now and I know how much it is concerning you. Your budget may seem adequate enough, but until you truly know your way around the city that's a really tough budget to work with. I'm in my own place now but it took me awhile to become acclimated to the city first. There is no way I'd have been able to find the place I have now as a newcomer, nor would I have been truly ready for it. You are talking like you are an old lady LOL, you are so fresh and new and life has so much to offer. Savor the experience... you are young and have your entire life ahead of you! You will look back on these things one day and smile. I had some crazy experiences with roommates but also made some great friends, a couple of which may possibly be friends for life. There are apartments BY OWNER you can go through. That way, if your roommate defaults the owner takes care of it directly and it isn't on you. You can find arrangements like this all over the city via word of mouth, agencies, and the internet. Plus, think HOW much money you will save. My first place was $650 a month and that included EVERYTHING (heat, gas, electric, water, trash, sewer, cable and internet). I had a 14x17 room and was able to make it into a mini apartment-within-an apartment. With a hookup like that you've still got plenty of money to save or use for things you might need (that you aren't considering now). Things I needed I didn't forsee include: a portable a/c unit, space heater, several well-made umbrellas (different weather requires different ones), good rain boots (not cheap plastic ones), good snow boots, multiple pairs of walking flats (they wear out quickly), multiple pairs of running/walking shoes, heel covers (for rain... go to Ame Ame in the East Village... if you've noticed by now you will spend a lot on clothing/accessories... especially anything related to your feet), about a gazillion different jackets for different types of weather, renters insurance, money to repair the iPod (a necessity for some, like me as I live with earbuds half on), a P.O. Box, ZipCar money... I could go on and on. What I'm saying is get ready. Because it's going to be hella more expensive than you think and you'll THANK GOD you have that extra cash. There is no stigma, plenty of people of all ages live with roommates here and it is not something to be concerned about. Good luck!

Last edited by EastBoundandDownChick; 09-03-2013 at 07:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City