Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2014, 12:40 PM

343 posts, read 1,094,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoryBlizzard View Post
I'll take ghettoifying far over gentrifying any day. I wish every neighborhood that hasn't been sufficiently ghettoified would undergo it effective immediately. I lived in Manhattan from birth until the age of 13, and from then on to present, Queens. I won't specifically say where I live now, but you can be assured that it's known to be a rich, trendy neighborhood unlike places like South Jamaica and Far Rockaway, and I need my rent to go way down.

lolol this is funny.

Old 01-13-2014, 12:41 PM

2,678 posts, read 1,707,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bilmin View Post
or you could just shoot the "undesirables" with one of those many guns you have
Yeah BLIMIN, those damn undesirables.

I'll make up a fictional story.

Lets see.

Yeah a ghetto family moved in a couple of years back and I hated it. Playing their jungle salsa music all night I couldn't sleep and their kids making noise all times of night... lol. You know I told my son to stay away from those colored kids. So glad we moved out.

I love people with and Anglo Saxon sensibilities. LOL.

Old 01-13-2014, 12:47 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,182,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxx View Post
Yeah BLIMIN, those damn undesirables.

I'll make up a fictional story.

Lets see.

Yeah a ghetto family moved in a couple of years back and I hated it. Playing their jungle salsa music all night I couldn't sleep and their kids making noise all times of night... lol. You know I told my son to stay away from those colored kids. So glad we moved out.

I love people with and Anglo Saxon sensibilities. LOL.
You're incorrectly conflating race and behavior.

Old 01-13-2014, 12:47 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,744,516 times
when i rented in a RIverdale Co-op a caucasian guy from Wakefield/Mt Vernon moved in and caused all kinds of trouble i think he may have been kicked out. i heard reports of narcotics and unruly parties

an African American woman also from Wakefield (Edenwald Projects) moved in. there were other African Americans living in the bldg but this woman just had the ghetto stamped all over her--starting innapropriate convos with neighbors about how her neighbor thought she was out to steal her husband from her, reading newspapers in the courtyard and letting them fall all over the place, she just didn't fit in. its fine to dress the way you want but some behaviors just scream ghetto

but none caused the bldg to decline or anything

but both of these types were just unheard of in that bldg or the neighborhood in general

Old 01-13-2014, 12:48 PM

44,258 posts, read 64,496,657 times
Quote:
Yeah. Sure.

They bring everything down with them.

which in turn justifies their segregation and marginalization.

Everyone wants to blame someone else.
Whether it's fair or what to do with the information is another conversation.
But facts are facts and people around here are not happy about taking the hit on their property values.
I don't care much as I'm in for the long haul and lower values makes my property taxes lower for right now. But it irritates me that I will have to consider spending extra money to put my kid in private school when I chose this location for the schools AND for what we all know makes a school a good school - the other students.

Old 01-13-2014, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
You realize it was a joke right?

But you realize there are people who think this way?

Don't worry my dear, HENNA.

Some may eventually see the light.........I hope.

Old 01-13-2014, 12:52 PM

19,092 posts, read 14,056,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
It was done on purpose so that people like us look bad. If we speak negatively about poor behavior, they conflate it with race. If we don't, they accuse us of using "coded language." Tired.

Old 01-13-2014, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Whether it's fair or what to do with the information is another conversation.
But facts are facts and people around here are not happy about taking the hit on their property values.
I don't care much as I'm in for the long haul and lower values makes my property taxes lower for right now. But it irritates me that I will have to consider spending extra money to put my kid in private school when I chose this location for the schools AND for what we all know makes a school a good school - the other students.
Yes, facts are indeed FACTS my friend. I understand that.

However, the actions of a small few should not categorize entire groups of people.

These actions however will often very well confirm the prejudiced beliefs that people have or have been made to believe.

As for your school situation, bussing lower income kids to another location just may not have been a ingenious and resourceful idea as planned. I AGREE.

Old 01-13-2014, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
It was done on purpose so that people like us look bad. If we speak negatively about poor behavior, they conflate it with race. If we don't, they accuse us of using "coded language." Tired.
A little bit of truth, AIRBORNEGUY.

In the United States, "poor" and "low income" are often used as proxy for race.

When politicians speak of the “urban poor,” we know it's a code for black people.

When they talk about “welfare queens,” we know the race of that woman driving the late-model Cadillac.

Its not hard to understand.

and yes SADLY many people do correlate race with behavior. unfortunately.

TRUTH HURTS...and for many and not a mere few.

It was not done to make you look bad.

Its not a TIRED argument at all.

Last edited by Relaxx; 01-13-2014 at 01:14 PM..

Old 01-13-2014, 01:04 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,182,624 times
Quote:
You realize it was a joke right?

But you realize there are people who think this way?

Don't worry my dear, HENNA.

Some may eventually see the light.........I hope.
It was a stupid "joke" especially if it was directed at people like Airborne, who is NOT conflating race with behavior. It was only your stupid post that did so.

I can't stand it when people think they are making clever jokes when in fact they are just making themselves look more clueless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City