Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 06:15 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,315,174 times

Advertisements

What were his warnings?

Old 09-08-2013, 06:23 AM

2,517 posts, read 4,256,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSNY...DirtyStayOut View Post
Hey Sobro, liberals love to mention the Koch brothers as you just did. But do you ever mention George Soros? The Koch brothers aren't a pimple on Soros' ass when it comes to influencing Sally Soccermom and Joe Sixpack. The sheep have a much bigger shepherd then Fox news, but that's an inconvenient truth isn't it?
Amen!

Old 09-08-2013, 08:14 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,028,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
It has been working wonderfully...have you seen the Tea Party and their completely fabricated "outrage". (Paid for by the Koch brothers) "Keep Government Out of Medicare" the sign read.....gotta love it. The sheep are easily led and are far dumber than you or I can imagine.

However another commentor claimed the answer then is to be anti-business, have crime run rampant, and turn into Detroit...cause really...there is nothing in between! Either you get raped by big business, or raped by roaming gangs of thugs! This is of course a false choice and the usual scare tactics and fear mongering by those seeking to keep the status quo and/or the uninformed (see Tea Party sign above).

And this will be the same false choice by whoever the Republican candidate is for Mayor of NYC. If you no longer use S&F, crime will explode and you will die! You can't raise taxes on the ultrawealthy, they will move to Podunk, Iowa and we will be bankrupt! You can't create more regulations, the financial companies will relocate to Hickory, Arkansas! We can't get rid of Ray Kelly, the city will turn into Haiti! And on and on....all lies to instill fear to maintain status quo (the raping of our society).

DON'T BELIEVE IT. THE BOOGIE MAN UNDER YOUR BED IS NOT DETROIT, IT IS NOT A BLACK GUY TRYING TO TAKE YOUR IPOD, NOR IS IT A HIPSTER SEEKING YOUR APT, IT IS THE WAL-MARTS AND GOLDMAN SACHS OF THIS COUNTRY.
You're wasting your breath.

The sheep you are trying to reach are too stupid to believe you.

Old 09-08-2013, 08:16 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,028,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I mention the Koch brothers because they spend their money making sure the public is less informed, they support candidates that want less regulations, and their agenda is to defund the government and replace it with some corporation (or several, all of which will be owned by them of course) whose only purpose is to make them richer at the expense of our society and humanity. None of which Soros or his ilk support...and that is the truth.

These 2 men are both wealthy, but that's where it ends....so trying to allege that what they are doing is the same is more misinformation and deflection from truth..maybe you are on their payroll also.

As for 85Dumbo...you do realize NYC was never close to bankruptcy in the 80s..it was the 70s. And it wasn't a conservative mayor who salvaged it...it was liberal ones! Go back to sleep.
That's why the person's screen name is "Dumbo". LOL!

Old 09-08-2013, 09:58 AM

34,096 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
Detroit is not some right wing, Tea party invention to scare people... its reality, and a concrete exampled of a mismanaged city. You people forget how close NYC was to detroit in the 80's until a conservative mayor cleaned it up. 2 decades of a safe and stable NYC under conservative mayors have made everyone complacent.
As bad as NYC was in the 1980s, it does not hold a torch to what Detroit is now.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-15-2013, 08:59 PM

5 posts, read 12,217 times
This was not meant to be a race debate from my stand point. That's why I left race out at first. It was a responsibility debate. If any man encourages anyone from any race to destroy his own habitat, he is adding wood to the fire, instead of trying to help put that fire out. The apartment complex I live in is predominantly black only a few whites. Now that I've revealed the race involved in the crime, it is no longer a black and white issue, but only a black thang. Those who moved in are blacks, should they be allowed to destroy this black neighborhood because they are black. Should they be justified because they are black, NO! They should be held responsible for their actions and either asked to leave or straighten up their act.

Old 09-17-2013, 11:43 PM

135 posts, read 230,915 times
Default Wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
As bad as NYC was in the 1980s, it does not hold a torch to what Detroit is now.
You would need 4 Detroits to equal how bad NYC was in the 1980's. Infact the crimerates now a days aren't as bad as they were in the past. When Cocaine was turned into crack back in the 70's 80's etc. It lead to a bloodbath in the streets. NYC had around 2,000 murders in a single year and many years NYC had over a 1,000 murders. Detroit dosen't even come close to those numbers in its worst years. Detroit dosen't have the population or size to match those numbers. New York Citys per capita was most likley worse as well.

Alot of Detroit from what I seen is single family homes with front yards, back yards, green grass, garages, and plenty of spaces in between the houses. If you cleaned those areas up it would be the suburbs in New Jersey. The MidWest and Westcoast cities area more spread out then the EastCoast. NYC had 6-8 story project buildings with 60 to 80 or so families living in them and the buildings looked like the were crumbling to the ground. The buildings looked bombed out falling to the ground, like the buildings in Berlin after being bombed by allied war planes in WW2.

Camden NJ is worse then Detroit is now. Its crimerate is usually higher in most years and its umemployment rate is usually higher. It also looks worse.

Old 09-18-2013, 08:30 AM

11 posts, read 13,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
If your NYC neighborhood when you first moved in was halfway decent at minimum but as time went on the quality of life began to decrease due to ghetto people moving in as they began imposing their will, lifestyle and culture on the community, ultimately ghettofying your community...please share your horror story!

Disclaimer for the politically correct people on this board: Ghetto people come in all shapes and colors.

This is a hilarious thread!!! YES, YES and YES...my neighborhood used to be just that, where neighbor's watched out for each other, kids played together and kept the streets clean...now (true story) I guess one of the my neighbor's ran out of diapers or her toilet was broken and she hung the baby out the window to take a dump....mmmm I wonder where she went to the bathroom???????

Old 09-18-2013, 12:24 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,916,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
NYC manage to recover from the 1980's, really though at this point, I don't think Detroit could ever recover from the mess it is, no matter how much money gets put into fixing it.

Old 09-20-2013, 11:24 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,241,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
Ghetto people come in all shapes and colors.
Not an NYC story, but close enough.
How would you feel, to learn your house was trashed while you were away, by local trash.
Then, when you publicize them, to be threatened by the equally trashy parents?
Parents want to sue ex-NFLer for outing brats | New York Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City