Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 07:26 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,544,307 times

Advertisements

Obviously the OP is poking fun at the hipster transplant taking over the neighborhood thread. However, I can't think of any neighborhoods that de-gentrified.

I'm sure some white people in Bayside were pissed that asians were moving in and consider them ghetto, but those asians have money. Other than that, I can't think of any degentrified areas.

When the new democratic mayor comes in, the more recently gentrified/gentrifying hoods will probably revert.

Old 09-04-2013, 07:50 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,325,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
Obviously the OP is poking fun at the hipster transplant taking over the neighborhood thread. However, I can't think of any neighborhoods that de-gentrified.

I'm sure some white people in Bayside were pissed that asians were moving in and consider them ghetto, but those asians have money. Other than that, I can't think of any degentrified areas.

When the new democratic mayor comes in, the more recently gentrified/gentrifying hoods will probably revert.
Like DoomDan said earlier Ozone Park has not really gotten any better. Same for Woodhaven to a lesser extent.

Old 09-04-2013, 08:11 AM

675 posts, read 1,257,305 times
Why hasn't Ozone Park/Woodhaven gotten any better because the new residents are "ghetto" or because they're of a different race/ethnicity? Does the smell of curry or sazon offend ya? lol

Old 09-04-2013, 08:12 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,620,176 times
Quote:
By what mechanism will this occur? What will the sequence of events be? Please be specific.

Old 09-04-2013, 08:19 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,149,528 times
Quote:
Other than that, I can't think of any degentrified areas.
I can't either, but there must be some. Rents have gone so crazy high in so many parts of the city (mostly areas that are near good subway access to Manhattan) that the poor people must have been pushed out further. I'm not implying that poor always equals ghetto, but there can be a correlation.

Are they being pushed all the way out to Long Island? I have heard there are some bad neighborhoods on the Queens Long Island border.

Old 09-04-2013, 08:23 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,325,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Brown View Post
Why hasn't Ozone Park/Woodhaven gotten any better because the new residents are "ghetto" or because they're of a different race/ethnicity? Does the smell of curry or sazon offend ya? lol
No, probably has more to do with the increase in section 8 housing and that it borders ENY. If we were offended by people of different race/ethnicity than I think we would of left Queens long ago. Don't be so sensitive.

Old 09-04-2013, 08:30 AM

530 posts, read 1,361,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I can't either, but there must be some. Rents have gone so crazy high in so many parts of the city (mostly areas that are near good subway access to Manhattan) that the poor people must have been pushed out further. I'm not implying that poor always equals ghetto, but there can be a correlation.

Are they being pushed all the way out to Long Island? I have heard there are some bad neighborhoods on the Queens Long Island border.
There are NO bad areas along the Nassau side of the Nassau-Queens border (though some parts of Elmont near Hempstead Tpke could be a bit shady).

NYC's poor population would never go out to Long Island en masse since public transportation/convenience is extremely crappy (for those that can't afford cars) and rents are just as expensive if not more than the outer-boroughs. There actually isn't even that many rentals available even in the less nicer parts of Long Island, the vast majority of homes are owned; so they would have little inventory to choose from.

If anything they would go out to the Newark/E.Orange or Paterson area of Jersey since that's a dirt cheap area with lots of rentals and good public transportation/convenience.

Last edited by PrestigiousReputability; 09-04-2013 at 08:39 AM..

Old 09-04-2013, 08:55 AM

5,154 posts, read 4,987,205 times
[quote=PrestigiousReputability;31266900
If anything they would go out to the Newark/E.Orange or Paterson area of Jersey since that's a dirt cheap area with lots of rentals and good public transportation/convenience.[/quote]

I happened to drive through Paterson the other day...and I could not believe it is a town in the Garden State...all streets and homes look so run down.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:14 AM

25,556 posts, read 24,001,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
I wouldn't call that forced diversification. Had more to do with the construction of highways, vast car ownership, Hollywood marketing the suburbs as the American dream and always depicting urban areas as dirty and crime ridden, and bank lending practices that followed the trend.
The thing, eventually people with money want space. Living in tenement housing or extreme tight space in apartments was always for poor people, and by the nature of that you do tend to have more crime. What well off white person ever would have lived in a tenement in the Lower East Side? Answer, none. The whites who were living in these "urban" areas were POOR and working class.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:17 AM

25,556 posts, read 24,001,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrestigiousReputability View Post
There are NO bad areas along the Nassau side of the Nassau-Queens border (though some parts of Elmont near Hempstead Tpke could be a bit shady).

NYC's poor population would never go out to Long Island en masse since public transportation/convenience is extremely crappy (for those that can't afford cars) and rents are just as expensive if not more than the outer-boroughs. There actually isn't even that many rentals available even in the less nicer parts of Long Island, the vast majority of homes are owned; so they would have little inventory to choose from.

If anything they would go out to the Newark/E.Orange or Paterson area of Jersey since that's a dirt cheap area with lots of rentals and good public transportation/convenience.
A lot of the poor are in NYCHA facilities, so as long as the NYCHA facilities are standing they are not going anywhere. Ditto for LAMP, or other affordable housing. Ditto for rent stabilized and rent controlled apartments (the stabilization and control can only be ended when someone moves out or DIES).

So because of this you still have quite a few poor in Manhattan itself, which people don't want to see. But just look at the massive Chelsea projects, and the nearby Mitchell Llamas. Lower East Side and Chinatown are full of low income housing too.

I wonder if some posters here are even in NYC? You can't miss the LES or the Chelsea projects......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City