Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2013, 12:15 PM

414 posts, read 537,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I would rather spend my time reading or sleeping on the train than concentrating in the morning driving to work.
if atl is too suburban for u, there are other denser cities available
jus sayin, nyc is not all there is out there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2013, 12:18 PM

79 posts, read 89,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronkc View Post
behind the rest of the civilized world on a lot of things, no offense
You are dodging the question and betting its because you really don't have an answer. Most people would have given an example of how large southern cities are "behind" places like ; Portland, Seattle, Sacramento, Denver, Minneapolis, Columbus, Pittsburgh which you said were good cities.

Old 09-08-2013, 12:19 PM

11 posts, read 13,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by overseer View Post
What you described not the reality for most large metros that aren't NYC but much cheaper than NYC. No one was even talking about small towns.
Most downtowns in cities other than those on the coasts are empty shells other than 9-5 M-F (other than maybe a tiny entertainment district). The people live in nearby suburbs and small towns. When a middle-class person tells you they live in Detroit or Cleveland or Charlotte or Atlanta, they most likely don't, they just identify with that area. The few residential neighborhoods in the city center are mostly either poor and crime-ridden or recently revitalized and affordable only to the wealthy.

The knocks against NYC -- rich/poor disparity and most people not being able to take advantage of the cultural amenities -- are true in these smaller cities as well.

Old 09-08-2013, 12:21 PM

Quote:
You are dodging the question and betting its because you really don't have an answer. Most people would have given an example of how large southern cities are "behind" places like ; Portland, Seattle, Sacramento, Denver, Minneapolis, Columbus, Pittsburgh which you said were good cities.
because i dont wan start a whole other debate, this is not a thread about that
i havent been down south, but know people who did and know enough about it, outside of cities, its still a conservative gun happy redneckville

Old 09-08-2013, 12:26 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
If you are one of the lucky people that can get a seat on the train then I can't argue that.
Majority of the time I get a seat coming or going.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-08-2013, 12:27 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
if atl is too suburban for u, there are other denser cities available
jus sayin, nyc is not all there is out there
Never said it was all. But I don't want to live anywhere else. I'll visit any place I want to but this is where I want to reside. I have family and a career here.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-08-2013, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Never said it was all. But I don't want to live anywhere else. I'll visit any place I want to but this is where I want to reside. I have family and a career here.
kul

Old 09-08-2013, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsoletest View Post
Most downtowns in cities other than those on the coasts are empty shells other than 9-5 M-F (other than maybe a tiny entertainment district). The people live in nearby suburbs and small towns. When a middle-class person tells you they live in Detroit or Cleveland or Charlotte or Atlanta, they most likely don't, they just identify with that area. The few residential neighborhoods in the city center are mostly either poor and crime-ridden or recently revitalized and affordable only to the wealthy.

The knocks against NYC -- rich/poor disparity and most people not being able to take advantage of the cultural amenities -- are true in these smaller cities as well.
Now it's just argument of city limits vs metro area. I can't speak for those others cities as don't have a ton of experience with them, the Atlanta area doesn't just have one urban area like downtown. Also plenty of non wealthy or non poor live in theses urban areas.

That's beside the point though. This isn't a debate about who is urban and who can afford to be urban. Your argument was that cheaper large metros don't have any culture or amenities and that's rediculas. There literally wasn't anything in NYC that I could not do in Seatle or ATL or Houston or Miami but much cheaper. these arent't backwater towns we are talking about. NYC had quantity over other cities in most things, but quality is debatable and most people can't afford or have the the time to do everything NYC has to offer.

Old 09-08-2013, 12:35 PM

Quote:
because i dont wan start a whole other debate, this is not a thread about that
i havent been down south, but know people who did and know enough about it, outside of cities, its still a conservative gun happy redneckville
Lol, thanks for admitting you only know what you heard and have not real experience. No one is arguing for rural areas so there no reason to even acknowledge your opinion on the south.

Old 09-08-2013, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Majority of the time I get a seat coming or going.
Lucky you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City