Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2013, 10:17 AM

414 posts, read 537,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
It's all subjective. Stop beating a dead horse.
well, the whole forum is subjective, maybe everyone should stop beating wateva they beating
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2013, 10:19 AM

34,103 posts, read 47,316,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronkc View Post
well, the whole forum is subjective, maybe everyone should stop beating wateva they beating
Actually no. However this subject is. Who are you to decide what quality is? Are you the chief expert on what determines a city's quality? Where's your credentials? What type of certfication must one have to attain this position? Out my face.

Every few months or so we get silly threads like this. NYC will never have the space to build out like other cities. We are on islands (Brooklyn, Queens, Staten Island and Manhattan). You don't like it then leave.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-08-2013, 10:28 AM

414 posts, read 537,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Actually no. However this subject is. Who are you to decide what quality is? Are you the chief expert on what determines a city's quality? Where's your credentials? What type of certfication must one have to attain this position? Out my face.

Every few months or so we get silly threads like this. NYC will never have the space to build out like other cities. We are on islands (Brooklyn, Queens, Staten Island and Manhattan). You don't like it then leave.
have u lived or been anywhere else? jus askin
my credentials are that i lived somewhere else so have someth to compare with
like i said, QOL is arguable, standard of living is not, generally, the salaries here dont correspond with COL

Old 09-08-2013, 10:59 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,320,015 times
These type of threads are subjective. Haters are gonna hate, so they create threads like this to do so.

Old 09-08-2013, 11:09 AM

937 posts, read 1,135,473 times
Quote:
like i said, QOL is arguable, standard of living is not, generally, the salaries here dont correspond with COL
I have to agree with you. A number of NYC residents have never lived anywhere else, so they do not have a good source for comparison.

I find it interesting that many people who relocate to NYC after college, often live in NYC for a number of years, but at some point, they return back to their home state or choose another area with a lower cost of living, if they are unable to make a sizable income while working in NYC.

Old 09-08-2013, 11:20 AM

79 posts, read 90,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
What city in this nation has a flourishing middle class that has a top notch QOL? Anywhere you go you can find a good portion of the population living in subpar QOL conditions. Some cities might just hide them better than others but during an era that lacks opportunities, pretty sure that social issues exist.
Houston, ATL, Charlotte, Dallas, Nashville, Etc

Old 09-08-2013, 11:25 AM

79 posts, read 90,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
So in these cities, someone can buy a home in a location that is just as walkable as NYC while making less than $60k?
That's isn't a apples and apples comparison because no one said they could. To answere your question though, yes they could, but it may be a fixer upper or in a non gentrified area.

Old 09-08-2013, 11:26 AM

5 posts, read 6,823 times
because moving anywhere else will downgrade your lifestyle. New York City, well Brooklyn is very convenient, to where you don't need a car to go to a store.

Old 09-08-2013, 11:27 AM

34,103 posts, read 47,316,181 times
Quote:
No I haven't...but I spent a lot of time in Atlanta and I am very familiar with the COL down there. I still think the standard of living up here is better. I'm not a fan of being dependent on a car, and I prefer the medical care of NYC to Atlanta. I would rather take the A train 5 days a week for work than sit in a traffic jam on 85. I could have had a job down there making $65K and I didn't take it.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-08-2013, 11:32 AM

937 posts, read 1,135,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAntigua View Post
because moving anywhere else will downgrade your lifestyle. New York City, well Brooklyn is very convenient, to where you don't need a car to go to a store.
NYC offers a certain energy and convenience that is unmatched by many other locations, but it is a fallacy to believe that you can only be car free in NYC. There are other more affordable cities that have good public transportation systems and nearby amenities as well.

In my opinion, NYC is a good place to visit, but not such a great place to live, if you don't have an extremely high income, but yet still have certain living standards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City