Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 11:24 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,320,015 times

Advertisements

I got a bunch of large parks to take my kids to, as well as multiple zoos (and an aquarium) and botanical gardens. Playgrounds are all over the place, no need to build one in the back yard for junior. We can share.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2013, 11:25 AM

414 posts, read 537,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
That vacation knocks out a much larger chunk off your salary if you make less money. Unless Expedia knows to charge higher fares to NYers.
well, nyc nightlife also knocks out a larger chunk off your salary cuz everything is overpriced
plus the salaries are not necessarily that much higher here unless ur some kinda big shot, but its only a small % of people

Old 09-04-2013, 11:26 AM

15,590 posts, read 15,684,170 times
Here's the point of living here.

Probably the best availability in the country of:
Opera
Ballet
Cinema
Restaurants
Museums
etc.

Then, best high-prestige places to work if you're in:
Advertising
Fashion
Finance
Publishing
Arts
etc.

Add to that, a city with a high number of smart, interesting, aware people.

Keep in mind that, yes, the city is expensive, but you don't necessarily need a lot of money for everything. There are astonishing free talks, free outdoor movies/concerts throughout the summer, cheap clothes via sample sales, etc.

Old 09-04-2013, 11:30 AM

4,829 posts, read 8,731,042 times
I moved from NYC to Long Island 16 years ago. BIGGEST. MISTAKE. EVER.

There is absolutely nothing to do out here. Everything you HAVE to do (work, grocery, etc) involves having to drive (and I hate driving!).

The people out here suck --- rude, obnoxious, pretentious. They live in their little bubble and are suspicious about everyone/everything..... they judge based upon appearance or "things"..... they all think NYC is just sooooo dangerous! Gasp! If, for some reason, they go into Manhattan (to see a show) they drive, park in a parking garage, take a cab to the theater, take a cab back to the garage, and drive for their lives to get back to Long Island. They don't to get mugged or raped by all the gangs in NYC!!!!!

Long Island (suburbia in general) SUCKS big time. If I had the money to move back to NYC, I would do it in a heartbeat. I'm almost done paying off all my debt and will start saving money and hopefully I'll be off this overpriced sandbar by this time next year!

Old 09-04-2013, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronkc View Post
well, nyc nightlife also knocks out a larger chunk off your salary cuz everything is overpriced
plus the salaries are not necessarily that much higher here unless ur some kinda big shot, but its only a small % of people
I'm sure it's overpriced anywhere that has a big scene like Vegas, LA and south beach. That's why you go to the local pub which is more inline with nightlife in most other US cities.

Old 09-04-2013, 11:42 AM

431 posts, read 660,177 times
I'm rethinking everything right now because its really getting expensive here. I make a good salary and I love my job but I'm struggling every month. Been here since I graduated from college back in 1997. My parents are native New Yorkers and they want me to move home (Atlanta area). Trying to figure out where I want to go because the middle class here is getting pushed out. I'm doing my research and the job market in other areas of the country is really bad. Especially the south and the midwest.

Old 09-04-2013, 11:45 AM

414 posts, read 537,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Here's the point of living here.

Probably the best availability in the country of:
Opera
Ballet
Cinema
Restaurants
Museums
etc.

Then, best high-prestige places to work if you're in:
Advertising
Fashion
Finance
Publishing
Arts
etc.

Add to that, a city with a high number of smart, interesting, aware people.

Keep in mind that, yes, the city is expensive, but you don't necessarily need a lot of money for everything. There are astonishing free talks, free outdoor movies/concerts throughout the summer, cheap clothes via sample sales, etc.
good points
seems like it would fit only a limited amount of people tho, as most people dont care for opera and museums and dont go to these expensive restaurants

Old 09-04-2013, 11:49 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,695,036 times
as an "average person" myself, if i was asked that question directly i would assume it was aimed at me so i wouldn't even answer it. its such a loaded question its pathetic. as long as the OP is "superior" to the "average person" and makes over $100 g and is living in an area they can afford, why ask this kind of question? why oh why oh why...

Old 09-04-2013, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
as an "average person" myself, if i was asked that question directly i would assume it was aimed at me so i wouldn't even answer it. its such a loaded question its pathetic. as long as the OP is "superior" to the "average person" and makes over $100 g and is living in an area they can afford, why ask this kind of question? why oh why oh why...
Because they are probably looking for reasons to tell the spouse of why they should move.

Old 09-04-2013, 11:54 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,838,205 times
I don't get why people come on her and say "I don't get WHY anyone would live here!" especially when they don't live here. I don't understand why anyone would live in Miami. Nice for a vacation, but don't think I could live there. I don't go on the Miami forum and criticize people who live there. They live there. That's there thing. Good for them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City