Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2013, 10:05 AM

850 posts, read 796,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trundle View Post
u can have it. I wouldn't live there for less than 1/4 mill a year and at the end of that year, I'd take my money, invest it wisely, and live where climate and conditions are much nicer, doing nothing that I didn't feel like doing. Wage slavery sucks, no matter where you live.
Bitter much?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2013, 10:21 AM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,861,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
So lets do a couple back of the envelope calculations. At 50K, assuming an effective tax rate of 37% your take home would be $31,500.

Unlimited Metrocards: $1344 per year
Healthcare deductables: est. $500 (varies wildly per person, and assuming you have employer coverage)
Clothes: say $3500 per year

So lets round that off to $5500 before rent, leaving you with $26000. If you spent 100% of that on rent, you could pay up to about $2166 per month. If you found a place for $1500 in a good neighborhood (very do-able), you would then have $8K to spend on anything else for the year.

This is afforable to some, not to others. Again, completely subjective
The biggest challenge for most people are student loans and rent payments. The native NYer can live at home and may not have student loan debt if they went to a CUNY.

Old 09-05-2013, 10:22 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,728,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronkc View Post
media hype
And basic Math & algebra is a government conspiracy aimed to get you, right?

"In the period from April 2010 to July 2012, the city gained 161,564 residents, according to the Census Bureau's estimates. ... Announcing
the growth Thursday, Mayor Bloomberg gave credit to low crime rates and high life expectancy and graduation rates, as well as job prospects that draw new
arrivals. "New York City's the magnet," Bloomberg said in a Newscast report filed by NPR's Jamie McIntyre. "People want to come here.
""

New York City Hits A New Population Mark, Topping 8.3 Million : The Two-Way : NPR

New York City's Expected Population Boom Will Spur a Need for Housing - WSJ.com

Old 09-05-2013, 10:44 AM

43,682 posts, read 44,425,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Even without a car, NYC still has some of the longest commute times in the nation even with public transportation. Sometimes driving around with a car from point A to point B will probably be faster than an average subway ride. Also transportation in NYC is very expensive from 112 dollar monthly metro card, to 4.50 a gallon regular gas
Some people simply don't like to drive or are unable to drive and for those people NYC is a very convenient place to live.

Old 09-05-2013, 10:53 AM

414 posts, read 537,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
And basic Math & algebra is a government conspiracy aimed to get you, right?

"In the period from April 2010 to July 2012, the city gained 161,564 residents, according to the Census Bureau's estimates. ... Announcing
the growth Thursday, Mayor Bloomberg gave credit to low crime rates and high life expectancy and graduation rates, as well as job prospects that draw new
arrivals. "New York City's the magnet," Bloomberg said in a Newscast report filed by NPR's Jamie McIntyre. "People want to come here.
""

New York City Hits A New Population Mark, Topping 8.3 Million : The Two-Way : NPR

New York City's Expected Population Boom Will Spur a Need for Housing - WSJ.com
im not sayin people are not movin here, i am sayin people are moving here BECAUSE of the media hype and erything associated with it

Old 09-05-2013, 11:38 AM

15 posts, read 18,708 times
LOL! My friend wrote a hilarious article called "F*** You, New York." I love the city but I had to agree with some points in it. http://newtalkcitymag.com/2013/08/16/****-you-new-york/

"I don’t need a 6 a.m., sun rising on a rooftop among drunken beautiful people anymore. My hair is falling out and those beautiful people are looking haggard. Not to mention that I don’t have to watch my paycheck disappear at a single swipe of the grocery store debit card machine. I don’t stumble home and buy some worthless hippy remedy to make that cringing in my stomach disappear. "

Old 09-05-2013, 03:25 PM

414 posts, read 537,970 times
i heard some people say nyc nightlife fell off, is this accurate?

Old 09-05-2013, 03:34 PM

1,837 posts, read 1,614,661 times
Can you please capitalize the "I" when typing out a sentence.

Old 09-05-2013, 04:30 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,054,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Some people simply don't like to drive or are unable to drive and for those people NYC is a very convenient place to live.
I agree. Having a car in NYC is a hassle, especially when it comes to finding parking and looking for gas. Transportation in NYC is very convenient but the negative side is commute time which sucks.

Quote:
im not sayin people are not movin here, i am sayin people are moving here BECAUSE of the media hype and erything associated with it
Media hype is part of it like such shows from Sex and the City and Girls which contribute to NYC hype due to glam and glitz. People move here to NYC from across America for plenty of reasons, for one people are tired of living in cookie cutter homes in the cul de sac. Another thing is jobs, in some parts of America their is not much professional job growth for example the Midwest, this is why you see plenty of Midwesterners in Manhattan and parts of Brooklyn. Another thing is that people come here for persuing and contintuing education from going to Ive League schools like Columbia, to ultra expensive NYU to very affordable CUNY. Even tomorrow I'm going to hang out with a chick from LA who lives in Harlem. I don't have to go to California to meet a Cali chick, I can easily go to Manhattan and do that!

Quote:
i heard some people say nyc nightlife fell off, is this accurate?
NYC club scene died off a decade ago. Plenty of NYC mega clubs like Limelight, TWilo, the Tunnel, the Paladium have all closed down. Guliani era as well as the Bloomberg era ruined NYC club scene by issuing fines for violations like having only one exit, or not having a exit that has double doors to allow faster exit incase of an emergency, or maybe the establishment goes over capacity and gets shutdown and that's another violation. Plenty of these night clubs used to be on the West Side and in the Village. Most night clubs have been torn down and replaced with glimmering multi million dollar unit condos, case in point the former club CBGBs which hosted plenty of bands during the punk rock, heavy metal, grunge, and Goth Subcultures, a good thing CBGBs never got a taste of the Hipster subculture. Now a days new night spots are lounges which are smaller, intimate and pretencious as well as cultural segregated. As a New Yorker if one wants to experience a mega club just book a trip to Miami or Las Vegas which have better, bigger and more eccentric night clubs than NYC.

Old 09-05-2013, 05:23 PM

917 posts, read 2,005,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
You can get a decent apartment for less than $1800 per month. My point was that there are many people who make far less than 120k and they're doing just fine. Considering the average h/h income in NYC is far less than the figure you quoted, does that mean just about everyone is just sitting around in their s-hole apartment doing nothing?
I agree. And I would never spend $1800 for an apartment. This city is very expensive but you dont need 120K to live here (I'm assuming you were talking about a single person). I believe you can make it on 60K even 50K if you have no debt and no dependants and living in the outer boroughs of course.

I don't believe you have to spend a lot for entertainment either thanks to living social and groupon.

This reminds of an old thread where the OP said something like "why would someone live here if they couldn't afford to see broadway plays". Not everyone likes that or expensive restaurants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City