Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2013, 03:49 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,320,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl332 View Post
I was born and raised in Queens as well; however, I am not multi-ethnic. The average person in NYC is not multi-ethnic, therefore the trends that you observed as a multi-ethnic person, is simply not the norm.

NYC (like virtually any other city) is largely divided by socioeconomic status. This means that poor people are often surrounded by other poor people, who share the same ethnic and/or racial background.
I have never been to a place in either this country or any other that I found to be as diverse as what I am used to in Queens. Not in London, not in Amsterdam.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2013, 03:57 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,728,258 times
Quote:
Many people in NYC barely earn a decent salary (i.e. at least 50K/year); therefore, these individuals are barely able to afford rent, food, transportation, and healthcare expenses.
So lets do a couple back of the envelope calculations. At 50K, assuming an effective tax rate of 37% your take home would be $31,500.

Unlimited Metrocards: $1344 per year
Healthcare deductables: est. $500 (varies wildly per person, and assuming you have employer coverage)
Clothes: say $3500 per year

So lets round that off to $5500 before rent, leaving you with $26000. If you spent 100% of that on rent, you could pay up to about $2166 per month. If you found a place for $1500 in a good neighborhood (very do-able), you would then have $8K to spend on anything else for the year.

This is afforable to some, not to others. Again, completely subjective

Old 09-04-2013, 03:57 PM

937 posts, read 1,135,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
I have never been to a place in either this country or any other that I found to be as diverse as what I am used to in Queens. Not in London, not in Amsterdam.
I am not merely referring to "diversity," I'm referring to different races and ethnic groups establishing bona fide friendships with each other. I don't believe that most New Yorkers (whether, White, Black, Asian, Hispanic etc.), have various friends outside of their ethnic/racial group.

Old 09-04-2013, 04:15 PM

32,114 posts, read 34,747,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
So lets do a couple back of the envelope calculations. At 50K, assuming an effective tax rate of 37% your take home would be $31,500.

Healthcare deductables: est. $500 (varies wildly per person, and assuming you have employer coverage)

So lets round that off to $5500 before rent, leaving you with $26000. If you spent 100% of that on rent, you could pay up to about $2166 per month. If you found a place for $1500 in a good neighborhood (very do-able), you would then have $8K to spend on anything else for the year.

I don't think the average person is spending $3,500 per year on clothing. Not even in New York. $3,500 is a lot of Hugo Boss.

Old 09-04-2013, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I don't think the average person is spending $3,500 per year on clothing. Not even in New York. $3,500 is a lot of Hugo Boss.
Also depends on male/female. I personally don't spend nearly that much, but many women do spend that and more just to keep up regular appearances

Old 09-04-2013, 04:51 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,054,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberryanise View Post
That is why there is zipcar. I don't have to worry about insurance, gas, and having to move the car constantly due to street cleaning.
Zipcar is good and its affordable, much cheaper all together than owning a car in the city. THe only way to own a car in this city is either living in suburban parts of the city or parts of the city that is not near the innercore with space, but also those that have plenty of money and can afford monthly parking spaces. Inner city parts of the city is the worst place to own a car, not much space, cant afford parking or parking is limited, plenty of traffic making parked cars susceptible of accidents, also vehicalular theft and vandalism.

Quote:
Forget about "trendy" locations, the real problem is, it's often difficult to find a "safe" and "affordable" area in NYC.

I generally agree that NYC has a plethora of jobs for just about every type of person, whether skilled or unskilled. The problem is really the cost of living.

I was born and raised in NYC. It is true that there are people from all over the globe in NYC, but in reality, how many New Yorker's actually interact with people outside of their racial/ethnic group on a regular basis? If I had to guess, I'd say very few.

In all honesty, New York City is similar to other American cities, with respect to segregation. An example of a truly diverse/mixed city is London, not the big apple.

For the majority of the population, the class that you are born into, is the class that you will die in.

Those who are "poor," "uneducated" and/or "unconnected," lead very pedestrian lives in NYC. If anything, their lives mostly entail working, with little time for leisure. I will however say that NYC offers a certain vibrancy that's often unmatched. If one likes being around a lot of people, and enjoys unpredictable environments, they will certainly fall in love with NYC.

I currently reside in the DC metro area and in all honesty, I am very happy that I'm no longer in NYC. I don't miss living there, but I do enjoy returning to visit family and friends.
I do agree here to some extent, I do agree that NYC has a plethora of jobs but again competition is fierce and cut throat and much of its job creation is within in low range below 32k a year. Many New Yorkers do interact with other races besides probably at work and that's that. Sometimes you have different races that live in same socioeconomic background, these folks will interact with each other, someone from a lower socioeconomic background wont or even rarely interact with people of higher socioeconomic background. In general most New Yorkers are very insular and introverted, not so openminded. I also find Queens to be the most racist of all the boroughs, eventhouogh its multi ethnic, no economic groups live amongst each other and have their separate enclaves. Also I find that New Yorkers don't travel out that much unless if involves going to Miami or Dominican Republic! Those that always working due have time for leisure, their leisure is either getting high or getting drunk and no money for rent at the end of the month. I haven't been to DC in years and I have been told that DC like NYC has changed to a certain degree. How is DC? Are the subways and streets still clean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
I disagree. This probably depends on where you grew up. I personally grew up in Queens. I myself am multi-ethnic, as were many of my friends growing up. You could not avoid meeting people of other ethnic or racial backgrounds. The main similarity that I had with the friends that I grew up with was the fact that our parents were foreign born. Go to Queens Center mall and you will see what I mean.
I agree with this. It depends on where on lives. In certain parts of Queens some areas wont be mixed at all and just have usual one or bi dominated ethnic groups. Corona may have Dominicans, Ecuadorians, Peruvians and Colombians, but that does not mean all four groups get along, Ecuadorians, Peruvians and Colombians being South American and Andean may have something against the Caribbean cultured Dominicans, as well as turf for control of Black Market. I'm also Multi Ethnic and grew up and have friends of different backgrounds and creeds.

Quote:
I was born and raised in Queens as well; however, I am not multi-ethnic. The average person in NYC is not multi-ethnic, therefore the trends that you observed as a multi-ethnic person, is simply not the norm.

NYC (like virtually any other city) is largely divided by socioeconomic status. This means that poor people are often surrounded by other poor people, who share the same ethnic and/or racial background.
You probably lived in a very racially Homogenous part of Queens. Cambria Heights or St Albans? But yes its not race but socioeconomics that divide and segregate people.

Quote:
Many people in NYC barely earn a decent salary (i.e. at least 50K/year); therefore, these individuals are barely able to afford rent, food, transportation, and healthcare expenses.
50k a year can do well for someone in Williamsbridge section of the Bronx, or even Rockaway Queens, the more one lives in the inner city neighborhoods where prices are always going up. Lets not forget that NYC has plenty of single moms out there who struggle making ends meet, sometimes on 50 or even 60k a year. Who has it easy of sustaining a living a person making 40k a year and single or a person making 50k a year and has a child? But I do agree many people in NYC do not earn a decent salary

Quote:

Who spends 3500 dollars on average for clothing, unless if that individual has a family to support?

Old 09-04-2013, 05:12 PM

414 posts, read 537,970 times
Quote:

u dont spend that much on clothes regularly, for 1500 is not gon be a good apt in a good nhood, u forgot food as well, thats 4k/yr at least
like i said, comparable to normal america 1 bd apt in a non sh1thole nhood will cost 1800+, that and food and wat u said and ur already almost passed yo 50k figure, not counting random things like utilities, internet, college loan, etc and not even countin nightlife expenses so even without a car u need more than that
nightlife expenses are a big deal too cuz like i said if u not gon use what nyc has to offer wats the point of livin here, and of course for people who want a car this is even harder

Old 09-04-2013, 05:18 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,091,245 times
Quote:

food, con ed, cable bill, internet bill, phone bill, etc?

Old 09-04-2013, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ryu View Post
food, con ed, cable bill, internet bill, phone bill, etc?
yeah that's true, gas & electricity is going to be $1500+, cell phone $1000, another ~$1500 for cable & internet. Can't believe I missed food lol

Really adds up, some people willing to pay that sort of rent on that salary and barely anything left. But you can also make sacrifices on certain things, I know plenty of people with no TVs, but everyone needs a cell phone

Old 09-04-2013, 06:03 PM

3 posts, read 2,966 times
I moved here earlier this year from Seattle. I also live in the North Bronx, so it's not like I made the lateral move to Park Slope or something. I can only say that there are pluses and minuses to NYC over Seattle, but it's not like Seattle's a clear contest. It's a wonderful city -- but the only thing that makes it better is that it's easier because you can have a car and it's less crowded. Culture here is better, food (except Thai) here is better, and, unless you're a mountains person, the water and scenery here are good enough. It's cleaner and greener than downtown, but is that a comparison? If that's what you WANT, then move there. If you like the bustle, stay here. FYI -- Seattle is hella expensive, btw. It's cheaper in rent, but the housing market is back up and prices are VERY high for desirable areas in the nice neighborhoods. What you make up for in rent, you'll lose on everything else -- since Seattle is like NYC without all the bad parts, everything is expensive -- groceries, boutiques, services -- it's at a premium. Outside of rent, my cost of living there was much higher. I forgot, though -- Seattle does have one HUGE advantage over NYC -- good coffee. It's not that NYC doesn't have good coffee, but there's about a 10:1 ratio of good coffee in Seattle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City