Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 12:45 PM

259 posts, read 368,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronkc View Post
thats true, but ability to have a car is still a plus, even in nyc it can be inconvenient to not have one
That is why there is zipcar. I don't have to worry about insurance, gas, and having to move the car constantly due to street cleaning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2013, 12:52 PM

27,556 posts, read 28,647,655 times
Quote:
no, but it means they dont have the standard of living and every day QOL that people in other places do
Have you considered the possibility that some people have already explored what else is out there, but they simply don't want to live in any other place besides New York City?

Old 09-04-2013, 12:53 PM

414 posts, read 537,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
aaron--people know what they make and how it compares to others. most people are going to keep that under wraps and not be open about it. when you ask somebody who doesn't make that much a third person question like why does average person still choose to live here it feels like its being aimed at them. most people who are struggling with salary issues even if they are comfortable don't want to be reminded in any way of the fact that they don't make that much $$. maybe when youre younger one doesn't care as much but as you get older and youve been thru the mill and grind such a question can be like striking a match to a matchbox
well its not like that, and im struggling too FYI

Old 09-04-2013, 12:55 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,311,859 times
Quote:
no, but it means they dont have the standard of living and every day QOL that people in other places do
As measured by you?

Old 09-04-2013, 12:55 PM

259 posts, read 368,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Have you considered the possibility that some people have already explored what else is out there, but they simply don't want to live in any other place besides New York City?

I've already lived in a couple of other cities in the Northeast; they don't compare. Also, this is home. I grew up here.

Old 09-04-2013, 03:11 PM

937 posts, read 1,134,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
You can have a perfectly good life here without making $120,000 a year if you choose to live in a non-trendy neighborhood.
Forget about "trendy" locations, the real problem is, it's often difficult to find a "safe" and "affordable" area in NYC.

Quote:
People in the city raise families, go to school, and find decent jobs to do if they are skilled tradesman, entrepreneurs, civil servants, or have a higher education. There are tons of free and moderately priced attractions -- many more than you can find in other cities.
I generally agree that NYC has a plethora of jobs for just about every type of person, whether skilled or unskilled. The problem is really the cost of living.

Quote:
There is the amazing diversity of people and neighborhoods that is second to none.
I was born and raised in NYC. It is true that there are people from all over the globe in NYC, but in reality, how many New Yorker's actually interact with people outside of their racial/ethnic group on a regular basis? If I had to guess, I'd say very few.

In all honesty, New York City is similar to other American cities, with respect to segregation. An example of a truly diverse/mixed city is London, not the big apple.

Quote:
There is, most of all, the chance for upward mobility that attracts both educated newcomers and impovershed immigrants from around the world. The streets are not paved with gold, for sure. And some will definitely fail. But the CHANCE to better yourself and your family will always make this town a magnet.
For the majority of the population, the class that you are born into, is the class that you will die in.

Quote:
If you just want an "ordinary" life maybe NYC isn't for you. But a hell of a lot of people -- including those of us born here -- want more than that. We may not get it, but aiming high and falling short still beats a split-level in some small town no one has ever heard of.
Those who are "poor," "uneducated" and/or "unconnected," lead very pedestrian lives in NYC. If anything, their lives mostly entail working, with little time for leisure. I will however say that NYC offers a certain vibrancy that's often unmatched. If one likes being around a lot of people, and enjoys unpredictable environments, they will certainly fall in love with NYC.

I currently reside in the DC metro area and in all honesty, I am very happy that I'm no longer in NYC. I don't miss living there, but I do enjoy returning to visit family and friends.

Old 09-04-2013, 03:28 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,714,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl332 View Post
Forget about "trendy" locations, the real problem is, it's often difficult to find a "safe" and "affordable" area in NYC.
Affordable is extremely subjective. I find people often use that term to mean able to meet basic expenses (rent, food, transportation, healthcare & clothing) AND have a large amount of disposable income left over. If you don't have as much money to go out a lot and buy lots of gadgets as somewhere else IMO that does not make a place "unaffordable"

Old 09-04-2013, 03:31 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,311,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl332 View Post
I was born and raised in NYC. It is true that there are people from all over the globe in NYC, but in reality, how many New Yorker's actually interact with people outside of their racial/ethnic group on a regular basis? If I had to guess, I'd say very few.

In all honesty, New York City is similar to other American cities, with respect to segregation. An example of a truly diverse/mixed city is London, not the big apple.
I disagree. This probably depends on where you grew up. I personally grew up in Queens. I myself am multi-ethnic, as were many of my friends growing up. You could not avoid meeting people of other ethnic or racial backgrounds. The main similarity that I had with the friends that I grew up with was the fact that our parents were foreign born. Go to Queens Center mall and you will see what I mean.

Old 09-04-2013, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
I disagree. This probably depends on where you grew up. I personally grew up in Queens. I myself am multi-ethnic, as were many of my friends growing up. You could not avoid meeting people of other ethnic or racial backgrounds. The main similarity that I had with the friends that I grew up with was the fact that our parents were foreign born. Go to Queens Center mall and you will see what I mean.
I was born and raised in Queens as well; however, I am not multi-ethnic. The average person in NYC is not multi-ethnic, therefore the trends that you observed as a multi-ethnic person, is simply not the norm.

NYC (like virtually any other city) is largely divided by socioeconomic status. This means that poor people are often surrounded by other poor people, who share the same ethnic and/or racial background.

Old 09-04-2013, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Affordable is extremely subjective. I find people often use that term to mean able to meet basic expenses (rent, food, transportation, healthcare & clothing) AND have a large amount of disposable income left over. If you don't have as much money to go out a lot and buy lots of gadgets as somewhere else IMO that does not make a place "unaffordable"
Many people in NYC barely earn a decent salary (i.e. at least 50K/year); therefore, these individuals are barely able to afford rent, food, transportation, and healthcare expenses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City