Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 06:11 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,514,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHuskies View Post
As a few others have picked up on the biggest problem with the legislation is that the fines are NOT high enough. Not yet anyways.

What will happen is the young & healthy will opt to just pay the fine and not seek health insurance. The people choosing these structured policies will be the ones with the serious health issues or those with pre-existing conditions. In other words the folks who will cost more to insure. For the first year or two it will be a mess and money down the tube as the sick are taken care of without the healthy folks to carry the cost burden. Because that is exactly how health insurance works.

Meanwhile the ACA will be roasted by Republicans and the media as the high costs keep rolling in. This will become a major campaign issue for the 2016 elections.
I think Obamacare has higher fines than the Massachusetts program. Here, the unisuranced rate dropped by 2/3rds, leaving 98% of the population with insurance.

Massachusetts health care reform - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2013, 06:17 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,514,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSNY...DirtyStayOut View Post
How is it possible that you don't know? What will they be dealing with? Here's a start, read this book " Beating Obamacare
Your Handbook for the New Health Care Law" by Betsey McCoughey. She knows the bill inside and out, do some research and see what's coming...big surprise!
I live in Massachusetts. Obamacare appears to be nearly identical, I'm confused what's so scary about it. There's nothing for me to deal with for the state law, perhaps you could explain why there'd be for Obamacare instead giving me a reading assignment?

Brad Burd: Obamacare Versus Romneycare: How Similar Are They?

Old 09-25-2013, 06:18 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,091,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I'm not getting you. Here, we have MassHealth, a state government sponsored program that functions as a health insurance pool for those not getting it through their employer combined with some health insurance regulations. There's (a rather low) fine for not having health insurance. I get health insurance through my employer. There's nothing for me to participate in except check a few boxes in tax forms.
how much does your employer contribute? 75%??

Old 09-25-2013, 06:35 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,985,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
who have managed fine without paying for medical insurance
in other words, the gamblers. people lucky enough to have not had a medical issue of their own or in their family to teach them just how important it is to have good health insurance. or people foolish enough not to learn the lesson

a better measure is how this will affect the budgets those who paid for their own insurance out of pocket without a subsidy from their employer, the government, or other large institution

and another measure would be how it will affect people who want insurance, but can't get it

people go around thinking, "hmm well i only go to the doctor 3 times a year, i can come out ahead on $ if i don't have insurance." this is retarded. homeowners in a severe flood zone don't think, "hmm, i can probably save money if i buy a dozen sand bags and a water pump" when they consider flood insurance

Old 09-25-2013, 08:41 PM

5,133 posts, read 4,976,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OdysseusNY View Post
in other words, the gamblers. people lucky enough to have not had a medical issue of their own or in their family to teach them just how important it is to have good health insurance. or people foolish enough not to learn the lesson

a better measure is how this will affect the budgets those who paid for their own insurance out of pocket without a subsidy from their employer, the government, or other large institution

and another measure would be how it will affect people who want insurance, but can't get it

people go around thinking, "hmm well i only go to the doctor 3 times a year, i can come out ahead on $ if i don't have insurance." this is retarded. homeowners in a severe flood zone don't think, "hmm, i can probably save money if i buy a dozen sand bags and a water pump" when they consider flood insurance

Usually those who don't pay for insurance does not equal that they are not aware of the risks that may face, but rather it is a way to prioritize where they would like to put the money on when money is tight. A lot of seasonal jobs or part time jobs pay hardly for people to feed and house themselves especially here in this costly city. Do you think that those people have the resources or wishes to throw money into insurers' pockets just "in case"?

The obamacare thing is an example of deprivation of American's freedom (of choice) if you really think about it.

Old 09-25-2013, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Exactly.As soon as leoliu finds out she has breast cancer her tune will change and the rest of us will wind up paying the bills.

Mr. bluedog, I will watch my breasts, but please take care of your own ovaries, too. Ovarian cancer will likely kill regardless whether you have insurance or not.

Old 09-25-2013, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
Believe me, doctors do realize the intent of Obamacare. It is to bankrupt the private system so that the government will socialize it into a single payer system.
Care to elaborate how exactly this plot would unfold? Do doctors see things in the medical universe without any telescope?

Old 09-25-2013, 09:14 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,985,374 times
Quote:
The obamacare thing is an example of deprivation of American's freedom (of choice) if you really think about it.
i have given it more thought than anyone else i happen to know IRL. i spent years taking care of my poor, terminally ill parents and then had to self insure as an independent contractor. later i considered various insurance options for a small business i was a partner in

no one thinks they are going to get a stroke, or cancer, or get hit by a bus. people would forego auto insurance if given the option, but that doesn't mean people should have that option

a century ago many people felt similarly about a high school education - it wasn't a requirement. nowadays it is mandated and taken for granted. a parent who denies their child the chance to learn to read is abhorred, and rightly so

likewise i feel that years from now health insurance will be a common and accepted facet of life for us all. sadly we are not there yet

i feel those who do not feel everyone should have access to health insurance should be forced to sit and watch people die and suffer from inadequate medical care. inevitably lack of insurance leads to substandard care for some people

i'm sure some doctor will jump in to remind me how much more death he's seen than i have, but i just can't wrap my head around telling anyone, "no, you can't have access to modern health care because you're poor/lazy/immigrant/old/young/whatever."

there is no reason for someone to not have health care. i can't understand the lack of compassion it takes to claim otherwise. it is on par with denying literacy to children IMO

now of course, one can make the argument there are better ways to provide it than this plan. that's fair. there are different ways to skin a cat. but most detractors are not proposing rational alternatives that insure everyone. more often it's just hyperbole that capitalizes on fear and ignorance. even the name "obamacare" originated as an effort to cloud what the plan really is. but, as has been pointed out, it's in fact very similar to what happened in MA under romney

Old 09-26-2013, 07:34 AM

Top 12 Obamacare questions

What you'll pay for Obamacare

Old 09-26-2013, 07:36 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,250,362 times
Quote:
There are probably lots of experts out there on this obligatory expense. For nyers who have managed fine without paying for medical insurance, you all will see a big cut on your budget when Obamacare will be enforced in 2014.
Do you have any real evidence to support that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City