Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2013, 07:23 AM

210 posts, read 426,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedos View Post
I remember it being sold as "free" healthcare for all. That free stuff is not cheap.
Could you provide the backup for Obamacare being sold as "free" Healthcare for all?

To my knowledge, it was always sold as Affordable for everyone. Now, whether that is true or not remains to be seen. I have been trying to get a quote so I could compare my employer based insurance with Obamacare but the site has been down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2013, 09:33 AM

2,228 posts, read 3,690,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
There are probably lots of experts out there on this obligatory expense. For nyers who have managed fine without paying for medical insurance, you all will see a big cut on your budget when Obamacare will be enforced in 2014.
The costs may not come in forms of actual health care costs but your JOB. A lot of people are having their health care dropped or their hours slashed from 40 to 29. If you lose a 1000k a month through your job isn't that a very expensive health care law? Home depot just dropped everyone.

Old 10-02-2013, 09:36 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,407,485 times
republicans should just come back with a better plan,
like something less expensive, but you know they
don't have the intelligence to figure that out. they
would rather just leave the scam the way it is and
keep bankrupting america with enormous healthcare
costs.

do you know any average people or bums that can come
up with 150 dollars a month for healthcare insurance? it's
unrealistic to make it mandatory for everyone to pay
into it if they don't have the money.

the president is working for the medical insurance lobby
basically, just like bush was working for the pharmaceutical
lobby.

Old 10-02-2013, 09:42 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,067,667 times
and its unrealistic to think that the existing freeloaders would even think of now paying a dime for healthcare.

Old 10-02-2013, 09:48 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,407,485 times
^ yep, pretty much. they don't have any dough and that's
why they are freeloading in the first place i guess lol. it
doesn't take a scientist to figure that out.

Old 10-02-2013, 10:20 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,541,583 times
I'm curious, those of you who are currently not insured... are you planning on buying insurance on the health exchange or are you gonna to pay for the tax penalty?

Old 10-02-2013, 10:45 AM

2,228 posts, read 3,690,516 times
Check out California. having health insurance and USING health insurance are 2 very different animals. The stupid republicans should have let this monstrosity go through. Never shut down the Government. They have given Potus and the Blues a lifeline. Point out that it's not fair that big donors to Obama, Big Business, and Congress& Staff are exempt or have a 1 year waiver. Now the press which by and large love Obama are all over the Government shutdown.

Old 10-02-2013, 01:01 PM

1,500 posts, read 887,165 times
Quote:
I remember it being sold as "free" healthcare for all. That free stuff is not cheap.

can you cite a source that sold it as being "free" for all...

sorta like Canada and UK calling thier coverage FREE...it is not ...paid for by their tax system..someone has to pay...

just my two cents

Old 10-02-2013, 01:04 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,331,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I find it funny that people can be so short sighted until things happen to them. Like MS. Which afflicts suddenly many healthy, young people. That is a chronic disease that will require expensive, long term care. Neurological diseases, which are very common, don't give a hoot about how thin you are, how many fruits and veggies you eat, and how many miles you can run. You just wake up one day and your nerves are on the fritz.

I used to think "to hell with it, I'm young. There are more important things to think about". That was until I got out of the car one day and I had difficulty uncrossing my legs. My entire left side was fatigued. That, my friends, was the start of a medical journey. Sorry, but health insurance to me is just as important as people's precious savings, retirement accounts, whatever. If I didn't have my employer plan, I probably wouldn't have access to 5 MRIs. I would've been allowed maybe 1, and the co-pay would have been horrendous. The above poster is right...Obamacare may or may not be the answer, but it's a help to all of the uninsured who want to be insured but can't. If you don't want it, pay the fine and opt out. Gamble with your own life.
Couldn't agree more. I just laugh at all the people, especially politicians, whining about ACA.

I've had the fortune of never going through a major medical issue but I know how important having access to GOOD insurance is! One of my "healthy, young, fit, active, etc" friends caught meningitis! Landed her in the ER and was hospital bed ridden for 2 weeks. I believe her total hospital bill was like $50,000. She has good insurance through her employer and only had to pay the ER co-payment of $100.

Another friend was not so lucky. She has bad insurance. I think also through her employer. She is also an active, fit, healthy, young, woman. When she suddenly started feeling sick, her coverage wouldn't pay for specific tests. She suspected she had lime disease (because she hikes a lot) but they didn't want to pay for the "expensive" tests. Well, turns out it was lime disease but by the time they finally tested, it had progressed to such an advance state, she is now bed ridden for life with such pain, she has to have a nurse provide her with basic daily tasks (food, bathing, toilet). The woman is 30.

Old 10-02-2013, 04:24 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,089,626 times
Quote:

No, I followed closely and it was never touted either as "free" or "for all" and it is neither.

Last edited by Kefir King; 10-02-2013 at 04:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City