Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2013, 07:58 PM

5,134 posts, read 4,976,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
I'm seeing nothing anywhere near this low either. This confusion is part of the reason I am against the bill...other than, of course, the huge part of the country's health care costs that is being funneled into insurance company coffers. With enough confusion only the consumer loses.

AND toss in a $6000 deductible for an unseen $500 a month more if you need any kind of surgery or a day in the hospital.

I had a stent put in and an overnight for observation in the hospital: $111,000. Think about that if you are planning on going without insurance.

A lot of hidden costs to pay out of pocket, if you indeed need the insurance. if you don't need the insurance, it is a lot of money to throw into the insurers' accounts for most families. It is a no win situation for most families.

regulate the absurd health care charges and all the loopholes in the medical service system. That will cut the budget deficit and steer the huge medical system in the right direction in the long run.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2013, 10:26 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,408,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 071402 View Post
Nice try as in there are quotes at $200??? WE wish. wdym?
I guess it will be repealed and then it's back to your million dollar doctor bills that no one but the taxpayers will pay.

Old 10-28-2013, 04:24 AM

531 posts, read 595,177 times
It had to happen sooner or later

Old 10-28-2013, 08:21 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,542,087 times
Question to all you the young folks out there who thought Obamacare=Free medical care for all. Now that you realize you (healthy young people), need to buy into the system in order for it to work, do you still support Obamacare? Do you regret re-electing Obama since now your bottom line is affected? Either buy insurance or pay a tax penalty, either way you are out of money. No more $2,500 purses of $350 belts.

Old 10-28-2013, 08:23 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,250,362 times
Ironically the everyone buying insurance thing ie individual mandate was a republican idea first...

Old 10-28-2013, 09:22 AM

Mr. Garry, if you are an expert in the insurance business, you may have more to add to rebut what keif said below, and I am all ears. Otherwise, based on my limited knowledge about how insurance business operates, the enrollment base is the key to the success of the business. Now you have a government to push all sorts of people into the insurers' network and I can only imagine that are happily busy with working out an algorithm to calculate "acceptable charge limits" to maximize their profits.

Does an insurer really pay for the pre-existing conditions? no, it's yours and mine and his premiums pooled together to pay for the preexistings. What happens when an unfortunate insurer got hit hard by too many preexistings? They will be backed up by other insurers, and the ultimate insurer of the insurance business is the fed gov, who has access to your and my and his money to finance and support the insurers when things get out of control. Remember the big three story and the AIG insurer too big to fall stories? It is the average americans who eventually pay for large scale governmental fiascos, and I am afraid this OBCare will be just one of those.

When you divide the total national debt of US by the number of working and productive americans, you and I can expect to pay well over $100,000 per person to pay it off on top of mandatory contributions to social security and all sorts of other maintenance fees to keep the fed gov afloat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garry26 View Post
obamacare is a good thing. However, insurance companies have a vested interest in scaring the public because they will lose lots of money. The inability to use pre-existing conditions to deny coverage alone, will cost medical insurance companies millions. Obviously they're keen on stopping it. Furthermore, medical insurance companies give politicians huge campaign contributions. The fact that most of Washington politicians hate Obama to boot, is only the icing on the cake. This is why this is happening. Racism is alive and well in our nations Capital. They are just smart about it. So long as they don't use certain hot button and/or key words, you can't prove it, but it exists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post

Firstly, the insurance companies will NEVER lose money. Who do you think WROTE the ACA that puts the insurance companies squarely in the drivers' seat.
Insurance companies skim 25% of the entire cost of health care right off the top. They rig costs so that they CANNNOT lose money.

Secondly, Obmacare was a feeble ATTEMPT at a good thing. A GOOD thing would have been rolling the entire population into Medicare, a popular program that has proven itself for nearly half a century.

As written the new law is a mish-mosh of a first attempt that will be patched around the edges for years. What finally comes out of all this is anyone's guess. But right now that's ALL that it is... a guess.

But as long as it remains insurance company run it will never be much of a "GOOD THING." Perhaps the BEST outcome would be for all the insurance companies to agree to QUIT the system and have the government take it over...but we all now there is too much money in it for them, so all they'll do is whine all the way to the bank..

Old 10-28-2013, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Ironically the everyone buying insurance thing ie individual mandate was a republican idea first...
The idea might sound the same but how to implement it would probably be completely different. OBCare stole the idea of it but did not interpret it correctly I am afraid. Regardless of democrats or republicans, it seems like that the US is experiencing a shortage of visionary leaders for an extended period. all those in the office or those vying to get into the office are just rolling the snowball of national crisis and have no clues of how to reverse the crisis. So a big fall off the cliff is predictable and the ultimate destination, unless the almighty senses this and sends a superhero to the rescue in the near future.

Old 10-28-2013, 01:51 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,093,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noggin of Rum View Post
It had to happen sooner or later

That is one of the funniest things I have seen in months. Kudos, Noggin.

Also one of the best performance by an actor I have ever seen, so I put the film DOWNFALL in my Watch Instantly Neflix queue.

Old 10-28-2013, 02:15 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,557,849 times
Don't pay much attention to politics since most you hear is the word "failure", but what I do know is that this recession isn't over and well:

higher taxes + flat wages = wtf

However, I do know doctors are not liking this bill.

Old 10-28-2013, 05:12 PM

Hidden pitfalls for average americans with Obamacare

The Truth About Obamacare Will Shock You - YouTube

even though I am not a fan of this OBCare, I am still surprised to hear about this credit score factor in assessing one's premium payments. Also as discussed in the clip, for those irresponsible citizens who manage to pay their premiums and are entitled to medical services, what happens when they default on their co-pays and significant medical bills? how will OBCare rectify those problems? Disqualifying them from the OBCare? Do you know how many diabetic americans who need glucose test strips but cannot afford them now. Once these people are forced to pay their basic coverage premiums, do you think they will have money left for paying their co-pays of their medical treatments and supplies?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City