Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 01:12 AM

21 posts, read 32,391 times

Advertisements

~ $2000 is for rent+utility+food. I have to move because of work. Rent looks really high in the city, and I'm fine with Brooklyn.

I don't mind if the neighborhood has these features, but I don't care for night life, restaurant or shopping at all, AT ALL. It must be close to or in reasonable vicinity of a good library, museum, theater, and even some nature (if I'm not asking for too much).

Any ideas?

Last edited by sidk; 12-05-2013 at 01:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2013, 01:16 AM

929 posts, read 1,659,774 times
When you say theater, you mean a cinema/movie theater or like, plays and musicals?

Old 12-05-2013, 01:18 AM

I will do research on my own, but information is a bit overwhelming. I just know from the show Louie that Harlem is probably not safe. That's just how much of a noob I am. This change of work is really unexpected.

Old 12-05-2013, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby BK View Post
When you say theater, you mean a cinema/movie theater or like, plays and musicals?
Both. I'd imagine that there are a lot of movie theaters. Having convenience access to plays would be fantastic!

Old 12-05-2013, 01:27 AM

929 posts, read 1,659,774 times
No, there aren't a lot of movie theaters. At least not in Brooklyn. Unless you're near Manhattan.

Good museums are few and far between as well.

What you want is Park Slope, Downtown, Williamsburg, etc... but whether they're in your price range, I don't know.

Old 12-05-2013, 01:32 AM

31,910 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidk View Post
~ $2000 is for rent+utility+food. I have to move because of work. Rent looks really high in the city, and I'm fine with Brooklyn.

I don't mind if the neighborhood has these features, but I don't care for night life, restaurant or shopping at all, AT ALL. It must be close to or in reasonable vicinity of a good library, museum, theater, and even some nature (if I'm not asking for too much).

Any ideas?
Believe it or not you might try the UES/Yorkville from Third Avenue to York from the 50's into the 90's. In fact you might want to go further up into the low 100's towards "Italian Harlem".

Walking around am seeing a good number of empty apartments and or (apartments for rent) signs in windows. You may be able to pick up a studio for or under $1500 per month. Electric shouldn't run more than $60 to $80 per month if you are careful.

As for food best way to save is to eat in and by that I mean cook your own most of the time. You can find interesting places for take-away up and down the avenues from Third to First. Indeed Chirping Chicken is moving to East 81st and Second into a newly renovated space.

If you want to hit other areas and still be "frugal" cross town buses take you to the West side, and or down town buses to the Village (East, but still), and so forth. Failing either of those options there is always the IRT line that will take you down town as well.

Old 12-05-2013, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby BK View Post
No, there aren't a lot of movie theaters. At least not in Brooklyn. Unless you're near Manhattan.

Good museums are few and far between as well.

What you want is Park Slope, Downtown, Williamsburg, etc... but whether they're in your price range, I don't know.
Thanks! Downtown is probably too noisy for me. I'm surprised at the lacking of movie theaters in Brooklyn. Do they prefer gallery in there?

Old 12-05-2013, 01:46 AM

31,910 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidk View Post
Thanks! Downtown is probably too noisy for me. I'm surprised at the lacking of movie theaters in Brooklyn. Do they prefer gallery in there?
Back in the days there were plenty of movie theaters in Brooklyn, however as tastes and demographics changed they closed down.

Old 12-05-2013, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Believe it or not you might try the UES/Yorkville from Third Avenue to York from the 50's into the 90's. In fact you might want to go further up into the low 100's towards "Italian Harlem".

Walking around am seeing a good number of empty apartments and or (apartments for rent) signs in windows. You may be able to pick up a studio for or under $1500 per month. Electric shouldn't run more than $60 to $80 per month if you are careful.

As for food best way to save is to eat in and by that I mean cook your own most of the time. You can find interesting places for take-away up and down the avenues from Third to First. Indeed Chirping Chicken is moving to East 81st and Second into a newly renovated space.

If you want to hit other areas and still be "frugal" cross town buses take you to the West side, and or down town buses to the Village (East, but still), and so forth. Failing either of those options there is always the IRT line that will take you down town as well.

UES was one of the first neighborhoods I looked at. Do you live there? I'd love to hear more about it from a resident! Food is no problem, I've lost interest in it and I always cook myself Electricity costs about 2X-3X compared to my current and previous city (Portland and Boston) if you are talking about normal usage.

Old 12-05-2013, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Back in the days there were plenty of movie theaters in Brooklyn, however as tastes and demographics changed they closed down.
I don't know what to say... what kind of change are we talking about?

(My probably far off impression of Brooklyn is that it's a place full of low key intellectuals)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City