Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2014, 04:13 PM

475 posts, read 852,664 times

Advertisements

I've had full time jobs since 1990, military, civilian, college student, and skilled trade. I will say that you younger folks today have a lot of obstacles you are trying to overcome, and with the cost of college as it is now, I wish you nothing but great luck in your future.

Old 01-20-2014, 04:16 PM

2,678 posts, read 1,699,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeSurfer View Post
Amen. It's easier said than done. (move to another city and star over). You need to have the relocation money, emergency money, and be extremely charismatic in order to get a job ASAP.

I hope to move as soon as I pay off my student loan. Either to another state or to New Jersey.
Exactly. I know people who want to move to New York City thinking its going to be easy and that they will easily find and job and I keep telling them the reality of things is not what they expect.

Old 01-20-2014, 04:16 PM

If I can offer an opinion I would say that the best route is probably to have multiple transitional skills, which is why I served my country, took up a trade, and returned to school to finish a degree program. There is so much instability right now that you would have to be able to transition into something else rather quickly if something goes bad.

Old 01-20-2014, 04:19 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven r. View Post
I've had full time jobs since 1990, military, civilian, college student, and skilled trade. I will say that you younger folks today have a lot of obstacles you are trying to overcome, and with the cost of college as it is now, I wish you nothing but great luck in your future.

I think it's best for people in the workforce today to see their current job as temporary since layoffs are so common these days. Not only will that help you stay active in transitioning to other opportunities, news of a layoff won't hurt as much when it does happen.

Old 01-20-2014, 04:25 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
If I can offer an opinion I would say that the best route is probably to have multiple transitional skills, which is why I served my country, took up a trade, and returned to school to finish a degree program. There is so much instability right now that you would have to be able to transition into something else rather quickly if something goes bad.
Exactly. You'd need multiple transitional skills and you'd need to keep your personal and professional networks up.

Old 01-20-2014, 04:25 PM

Remember employers today care less about you or your family, especially in the corporate environment. Get an education so you can compete for jobs but also spend 5 years learning a skilled trade. Technical/mechanical skills can never be taken away, cannot be outsourced, and with those type of skills, you can always work for yourself.

Old 01-20-2014, 04:28 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Remember employers today care less about you or your family, especially in the corporate environment. Get an education so you can compete for jobs but also spend 5 years learning a skilled trade. Technical/mechanical skills can never be taken away, cannot be outsourced, and with those type of skills, you can always work for yourself.
Bad advice.

First of all, your friends and family are an extremely importance resource.

What if your house gets destroyed in a hurricane? The same hurricane could destroy your job. You might have to crash with your family temporarily, or be homeless.

People you know can advise you about job openings, housing ,etc. I've lived in different cities but I always had people on the ground tell me which neighborhoods are bad or good, let me know which places they heard or hiring, etc.

Everyone, I repeat everyone needs a social support network.

Corporations come and go, btw. A good network doesn't.

As for an education goes, the easiest way to get a good education is to have family who is willing and able to pay for it. Comparatively few students don't have at least some parental involvement/investment in their education.

Its one reason why its so hard for the poorest people to move out of the ghetto or wherever there are. No money for anything including education. No contacts for housing and for job opportunities.

Old 01-20-2014, 04:50 PM

Well I know they say networking is important so what about the Linked In and all that other stuff? How many people actually have a professional profile on facebook? Most of us go on that site to goof around. You make a lot of good points, everyone who commented on this post has, but I think it really comes down to being a humanitarian and how much one cares about the community they live in.

Job incubators like NYC and DC attract a lot of transient type people, they come to those places to become successful in their chosen career and once they're done, they leave. There is no pride for community nor social interest big enough to create change.

That's why I love living in Small Town USA. Here my neighbors say hello, here people will jump in and help someone in need. We support our football team, and they don't win a lot, we have what NYC doesn't, community, friends, church, and a very nice quality of life. We're simpler, we don't mind working hard, and we're certainly not judgmental but we are aware of those who are not from around here.

NYC needs to change it's focus, it needs those old skool communities back. It needs to help those who if given the opportunity, would do something wonderful. On September 11th 2001, NYC stood as one, they didn't care if you were rich or poor, black or white, they stood united, all people, all boroughs, with all of America. Wouldn't it be nice if NYC, along with the rest of our country, was like that everyday?

Old 01-20-2014, 05:15 PM

2,678 posts, read 1,699,840 times
Quote:
Well I know they say networking is important so what about the Linked In and all that other stuff? How many people actually have a professional profile on facebook? Most of us go on that site to goof around. You make a lot of good points, everyone who commented on this post has, but I think it really comes down to being a humanitarian and how much one cares about the community they live in.

Job incubators like NYC and DC attract a lot of transient type people, they come to those places to become successful in their chosen career and once they're done, they leave. There is no pride for community nor social interest big enough to create change.

That's why I love living in Small Town USA. Here my neighbors say hello, here people will jump in and help someone in need. We support our football team, and they don't win a lot, we have what NYC doesn't, community, friends, church, and a very nice quality of life. We're simpler, we don't mind working hard, and we're certainly not judgmental but we are aware of those who are not from around here.

NYC needs to change it's focus, it needs those old skool communities back. It needs to help those who if given the opportunity, would do something wonderful. On September 11th 2001, NYC stood as one, they didn't care if you were rich or poor, black or white, they stood united, all people, all boroughs, with all of America. Wouldn't it be nice if NYC, along with the rest of our country, was like that everyday?

I think people have this misconception that everything "old skool" as you say was a more amiable time and tend to act as if hardships did not exist during those times for many people.

Those communities or times were never completely great.

Last edited by Relaxx; 01-20-2014 at 06:24 PM..

Old 01-20-2014, 06:55 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
Quote:

I would like to add ditto for Boston and SF. Four of these cities attract to many transient folks and many are culturally bland not because of their ethnic background but because of their continuation of college lifestyle/fratboy/fratgirl life style. Most of these transient folks want to build up their career repertoire on the resume and when the time is come most will move out. Actually where I work I know of two Transplants who are done with NYC and want to move to somewhere more easy going and not so competitive. They asked me about New Orleans since I visited that city for a week. New Orleans is one of the fastest growing cities in America thanks to Katrina plenty of boom is going on. As for New York City. NYC needs to become an aspirational city for all its of residents and not for a select few people. The city is becoming increasingly unaffordable, education, rent, mortgage, healthcare, taxes will all continue to go up while wages stagnate decline and for a select few might rise a bit. The city needs to be aspirational. Art for example should not be entitled for the rich and wealthy, same for music venues like Opera. People of all races and classes should have access to many art institutions, also these instutittions needs to shake off its elitism and shabby. If the city was more aspirational the city would have more folks like Bronx native Neil Tyson De Grasse who is African American and the head Astronomy of the National History Museum. I have great respect for this guy.

Neil deGrasse Tyson on the New Cosmos - YouTube

Another thing is the main culprit of African Americans but also Americans as a whole is the breakdown of the family unit. Two parent households are very uncommon in NYC, but also becoming very uncommon across the American landscape. Visit your average Bronx neighborhood or even Brooklyn neighborhood and you get what I mean. THis is not good for youth development and also creates plenty of poverty as well unless safety nets such as child support or welfare are not established to support mother and child. Also the breakdown of the family unit helps create generational poverty, a cycle of deprivation which is very viewable in the African American people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City