Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2014, 09:43 AM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,861,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miranda231 View Post
I never stated that life was grand for everyone in the rural South. I did however state that low income/working class blacks would do better in rural low-cost areas, because there is more space and less draconian policing. I certainly understand that they would remain low income/working class, but their quality of life would be better. Just having access to more green space alone would be a drastic improvement.

It's simply in my nature to care.
Life for a poor Black person in rural low cost areas is not necessarily better than it is for a poor Black person in NYC.

In NYC a monthly metro card is $112 and can travel on the bus or the subway in all five boros. You have access to many free, or cheap activities. Libraries have many free activities every month, for the youngest children to the oldest adults. Museums have free displays, and many shows, films, and other activities where only a donation is requested. In the spring and summer the Parks Dept has free concerts, plays, and other performances in most neighborhoods.

Most neighborhoods have farmers markets for fresh fruit and vegetables at lower cost.

Every boro has more than enough business and shopping areas to walk around and just sight see.

There is free breakfast, and lunch served in Public schools for every child year round. There is the same served in Senior Centers for older adults.

All these things are available in upstate NY as well. The larger cities also have public transportation. It is not crowded at all upstate, there is barely any wait time for medical care even for hospital emergency rooms. There are also extracurricular activities for children in the schools, and in the parks in the summer time. Although we have this too, but since the population is smaller children won't get turned down because the spaces filled up quickly

Old 01-21-2014, 10:38 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,254,179 times
Not to mention if the car doesn't start. In a rural area you are pretty much stranded at your front porch for some time. Unless you have already managed to establish a relation with your next door neighbor who might live several miles down the road. Or even worse across the county line.

Old 01-21-2014, 10:52 AM

17 posts, read 16,444 times
Hey bro'
I think u say that cuz u r under pressure from such situation, but make sure that
If u have qualification u will obligate other to accept u
And u must know that the racism present in eveverywhere in the world
So u must be strooooooong and fighting.

Old 01-21-2014, 10:17 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,582,822 times
Default It is what it is -- NYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach234 View Post
the NYC forum is by far the most ignorant and racist forum on CD. i thought this city was so "diverse", "liberal", and "open". threads like these make me wonder is it the transplants tarnishing this city with their naive ignorance or are native new yorkers really this closed-minded.
No one is tarnishing NYC's reputation. It is what it is. Apparently you don't live here or have never lived in NYC before. If you had, you would already know that although NYC is very diverse YET when people leave places where they're forced to interact with "others" on some level (such as work, gym, post office, Macy's), everybody sticks to their own kind for the most part. The exception to this is Puerto Ricans, Dominicans, and Blacks (both African-Americans and Caribbean) who are trapped together... um I mean live together in the ghettos. Outside of the ghetto factor, only a select few out-of-the-box individuals willingly engage in meaningful interaction with persons of "another race" on a regular basis. In my former career, I travel extensively all over the country numerous times for about 13 years working in various states. Every time I'd returned home, it would hit me that nowhere is the self-separation among races more prevalent nor the difference between social classes more appalling than in NYC. No other American city has such a huge gap between the haves and have-nots, between the upper class and the lower class on the scale that NYC has. Consequently, no discussion about daily living issues in NYC will get very far or remain realistically without race and social class being mentioned at some point.

Old 01-22-2014, 08:45 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,031,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
No one is tarnishing NYC's reputation. It is what it is. Apparently you don't live here or have never lived in NYC before. If you had, you would already know that although NYC is very diverse YET when people leave places where they're forced to interact with "others" on some level (such as work, gym, post office, Macy's), everybody sticks to their own kind for the most part. The exception to this is Puerto Ricans, Dominicans, and Blacks (both African-Americans and Caribbean) who are trapped together... um I mean live together in the ghettos. Outside of the ghetto factor, only a select few out-of-the-box individuals willingly engage in meaningful interaction with persons of "another race" on a regular basis. In my former career, I travel extensively all over the country numerous times for about 13 years working in various states. Every time I'd returned home, it would hit me that nowhere is the self-separation among races more prevalent nor the difference between social classes more appalling than in NYC.
It's not self-segregation because they WANT to be. It's FORCED segregation and everyone knows this.

Your post is so ignorant and you're trying to play stupid about the situation.

When I lived in LA, many native born blacks in the city practiced "self-separation". They WANTED to live in black neighborhoods. They didn't HAVE to like they do in NYC. I'm black and lived in all types of neighborhoods in LA and my race was never a factor. They didn't care. As long as I had the money, looked decent and was working, I got the apartment. NYC does "steerage". It's already been proven that NYC landlords and their supers will turn away black WORKING tenants and professionals in favor of other races.

Your post also reeks of someone who doesn't have any black friends, because if you did, then you'd know that many are middle and upper class here as well. They OWN homes in nice areas.

But Mach234 is right. The NYC forum IS the most racist and ignorant of all the forums. In fact, most of the northeast forums are.

Old 01-22-2014, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymags View Post
Similar to the OP, I can't understand why upper middle class white people would subject themselves to living in such a racist shthole like nyc. Make $200k / year so you can live in a 600 sq ft apartment, with homeless people outside your door, and forced to take the subway which looks like a third world country. Having to walk down the street worried about a bunch of racist ghetto thugs playing racially motivated knock out games. And then also the high tax burden which is racially discriminate. And for the property taxes paid, it would be nice not to shell out $40k per year to send a kid to private school. But I'd send my kid to school in Afghanistan before nyc public school.

Move to a place like Jacksonville, Texas, North Carolina, etc and don't have to worry about living in a cess pool, oversized homeless shelter

For people like YOU, I think you'd LOVE Texas.

Old 01-22-2014, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach234 View Post
the NYC forum is by far the most ignorant and racist forum on CD. i thought this city was so "diverse", "liberal", and "open". threads like these make me wonder is it the transplants tarnishing this city with their naive ignorance or are native new yorkers really this closed-minded.
Even though you can't judge an entire city on the "few" that post on this forum, but I have to agree with you and Bronxguyanese. It's BOTH.

The type of transplants NYC has received over the years are the outcasts that no one liked in their respective cities. Have you seen them? They look dorky, unattractive, have no social skills or grace and it doesn't matter how much money they have or successful they are. They are still the nerds and duds that the cool kids didn't want to hangout with either in high school or college. They basically had NO FRIENDS. They're male and female doofuses.

It wasn't always like this. When newcomers came to NYC, they absorbed themselves in the culture of NYC and wasn't trying to "change" things. Now, the city is a bore and full of doofs just like Bloomberg was. The man was the biggest DOOFUS of all, especially when he would try to speak spanish in his news conferences. I don't even speak the language and I could tell he sounded off with pronunciation.

The "archie bunker" type whites that still live here are either dead or dying (thankfully). Even their own offspring and descendants pay no attention to them anymore. Also, many of them have fled the city to Nassau and other "archie bunker" friendly enclaves.

When I lived in Los Angeles, I experienced none of this. In my opinion, as far as race relations go, I never had a problem with anyone based on race. You weren't "forced" to live in certain areas of the city, because of your race or culture. In LA, those people CHOOSE to live among their own, unlike this pathetic city which is why many blacks who can afford to get the hell out of here.

Old 01-22-2014, 09:41 AM

343 posts, read 1,093,059 times
whoever hates NYC so much plllleeeaaaassseeee relocate.. it'll make more space for those that wanna be here

Old 01-22-2014, 09:42 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,408,600 times
if they weren't so poor, maybe they wouldn't be stuck in ny and could move
or maybe they want to stay because ny is their home.

what's with this constant insulting focus on blacks on this site?
don't your own race have problems?

how about if someone asked why won't you move back to guatemala or wherever you are from?

Old 01-22-2014, 09:48 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,986,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Even though you can't judge an entire city on the "few" that post on this forum, but I have to agree with you and Bronxguyanese. It's BOTH.

When I lived in Los Angeles, I experienced none of this. In my opinion, as far as race relations go, I never had a problem with anyone based on race. You weren't "forced" to live in certain areas of the city, because of your race or culture. In LA, those people CHOOSE to live among their own, unlike this pathetic city which is why many blacks who can afford to get the hell out of here.
Blacks in LA don't chose to live among their own. LA, like NYC, is an expensive city. You certainly can live in the safe, white parts of town if you're making a lot of money. If you have a working class job or are otherwise low income most likely all you can afford is a bad neighborhood.

New York is no different in that regards. If you made a lot of money you could afford to live in Manhattan or wherever in whatever nice suburb. But working poor and working class jobs will put you in bad neighborhoods, plain and simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City