Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2014, 07:19 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,993,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrestigiousReputability View Post
Incorrect.

South Central and Compton are not predominately black anymore, the majority group is Hispanics. Yes, some parts of South Central still have above-avg concentrations of blacks compared to the rest of the county but few areas over there are majority black.

These are all the black neighborhoods in Los Angeles: (65% black or more)
1. View Park-Windsor Hills:
- 87% black
- Household income: $81k (high-income for LA county&city)

2. Gramercy Park:
- 86% black
- Household income: $56k (average-income for LA county&city)

3. Leimert Park:
- 80% black
- Household income: $46k (average-income for LA city)

4. Manchester Square:
- 79% black
- $46k (average-income for LA city)

5. Baldwin Hills-Crenshaw:
- 71% black
- Baldwin Hills: (high-income)
- Crenshaw: (low-income)

6. Ladera Heights:
- 71% black
- Household income: $118k (very high-income for LA county&city)

7. Hyde Park:
- 66% black
- Household income: $39k (average-income for LA city)

Source: Black Ranking - Mapping L.A. - Los Angeles Times

I agree. Again, never refuted that and anybody who disagrees with that is a moron.

This is incorrect.

These were the main two riots in LA involving blacks:
1. 1992 riots: Main cause was police brutality/abuse.
2. 1965 Watts riots: Almost 50 years ago; causes were a variety of issues including but not limited to police brutality, school/housing discrimination, civil rights, etc.

Incorrect.

Clearly in Los Angeles, many if not most of the well to do ones are picking well-off majority black places like Ladera Heights, View Park-Windsor Hills and Baldwin Hills or else those communities wouldn't even exist. lol, its really not hard to understand: just connect the dots!

Personally-speaking: I don't know if your black or not but many black ppl value the idea of living in a community where they know they'll be wanted&welcome, has beauty supply/black hair care stores/afro barber shops/salons nearby, a predominately black church and living in a community where their family&friends likely live. Whether that be a black community or a diverse community w/ a lot of blacks.

True, diverse and white neighborhoods do tend to have more employment/amenities.

I also agree that it is a national issue; but citing Los Angeles was not the best example. If you didn't mention LA and lay down a blanket statement like that then I wouldn't have responded and most of what you have written would've been correct.

Well written and well researched HOWEVER-- what you don't mention is that LA is unlike NYC in that the geographical borders go on for miles and miles.. what you consider the city limits we would consider the suburbs or even another state... to do a fair comparison start at the city center and draw a circle the size of NYC and do the comparison that way.

Old 01-23-2014, 08:22 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,986,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrestigiousReputability View Post

Incorrect.

Clearly in Los Angeles, many if not most of the well to do ones are picking well-off majority black places like Ladera Heights, View Park-Windsor Hills and Baldwin Hills or else those communities wouldn't even exist. lol, its really not hard to understand: just connect the dots!

Personally-speaking: I don't know if your black or not but many black ppl value the idea of living in a community where they know they'll be wanted&welcome, has beauty supply/black hair care stores/afro barber shops/salons nearby, a predominately black church and living in a community where their family&friends likely live. Whether that be a black community or a diverse community w/ a lot of blacks.

True, diverse and white neighborhoods do tend to have more employment/amenities.

I also agree that it is a national issue; but citing Los Angeles was not the best example. If you didn't mention LA and lay down a blanket statement like that then I wouldn't have responded and most of what you have written would've been correct.
Can you provide statistic showing that most Blacks in Los Angeles who are rich live in Black neighborhoods? I really doubt that.

Most of those neighborhoods you listed had people making on average 39k-81k. That is NOT WELL OFF in LOS ANGELES!!!! You will not be buying a HOME in the NICE parts of Los Angeles with so little money. (The West Side, the nicer parts of San Fernando). So again, the people living in those neighborhoods are living there because that's what they can AFFORD.

I'm Black, and I don't do churches, and my world does not revolve around black hair care products. I don't know anyone Black who does. Perhaps you should speak for yourself and your friends.

You're going into denial and harping over the existence of a couple of middle class Black neighborhoods because of your own internal issues. Every city in the country has some middle class Black neighborhoods. Eastern Queens is middle class Black homeowners. That does not negate that the worst neighborhoods in the city are Black, and that the wealthy, nice parts of NY are predominately white. As noted, this is a national issue and you have the same issue in Los Angeles.

The Black middle class areas are typically FAR from the URBAN CORE and the MOST desirable parts of town. That should tell you something as well.

You're so desperately to prove you're not ghetto you put on blinders and go on tangents.

Old 01-23-2014, 08:28 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,986,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven r. View Post
It's an issue driven by excess and lack of social interest. We all know that when it's time to start a family Small Town USA is a better option because it's safer, cleaner, and more affordable. At the rate Manhattan continues to raise it's COL, I'm surprised everybody who lives there isn't poor. 4,000 a month for an apartment no bigger then my bedroom is ridiculous. This is what happens when you have more liberals and less conservatives creating social programs that only benefit a percentage of communities.

I have no idea how to stop poverty but I think a good start would be to create jobs, lower the staggering costs of college, and let's slow down on the corporate machine a bit. When Wall Street celebrates news from companies that lay offs are coming that's a serious issue. A higher stock price is more important then the humanity of people. It's a sick and twisted game promoted through greed and the idealism of more is not enough.
Small town USA is not NECESSARILY the best place to raise a family. People who want to get their kids into top universities and have money typically send their kids to private schools in big cities or suburbs. You have a lot more educational opportunities in or near major cities.

Oh, and just because you have kids doesn't mean parents can give up their professional careers. I seriously doubt investment bankers on Wall Street are going to quit their jobs just because they had kids and move to small town USA. Ditto Silicon Valley programmers, Doctors, Professors, Film Industry Types, Advertising Types, Fashion Industry types, etc.

As a child, having been in both big cities and small towns, I enjoyed adults taking me to museums, to zoos, etc. I enjoyed being able to eat food from ethnic groups from all around the world.

As far was why rents in Manhattan are so expensive, its because you have a high concentration of some of the wealthiest people in the world who chose to do business in NYC. Ditto a few other big cities.

Old 01-23-2014, 09:03 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,031,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
When the government subsidizes your rent, food and health care, you can afford that $1000 baby stroller I see all the baby Mommas pushing around the Farragut projects.
You're a liar.

Old 01-23-2014, 09:25 AM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,861,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven r. View Post
I'm not a bigot, I have friends who are black, and they have good jobs, and some were college or military. It would seem by this post NYC is more racist then the south is. The problem with you folks moving down here is ya'll complain how much better New York is, how you can't find a good slice of pizza, how you did it up in New York. Nobody down here cares how you did up in New York and the south is known for fried chicken and biscuits, not pizza, so don't be shocked if you cant find good pizza here. I know that that if I want good Pizza I will have to take a road trip to New York, cause New York has the best pizza on the planet. I wouldn't move to New York and expect to find good fried chicken or biscuits, cause I know that's not what New York is known for.

We don't hide it in the south, yes there is racism here too, look at the south and it's history. But the south of today is far different then it was many years ago, 75% of our population aren't southerners, they're mostly mid-west or up north. And perhaps that's where the true racists are coming from?

The better question is why is there poor anybody in this country? With all the resources America has for education, the many ways it can be pursued, the technology we have to present it, more people should be able to get out of poverty and into a skilled trade or white-collar profession.

My dad was a truck driver for the Putnam County Highway Department, my mother was a hair dresser. I went on to serve in the military, learned a skilled trade, I am certified automotive technician, and with a wife and 2 kids, I returned to school to finish my degree in in electronics and computer technology. If I can do it with the blue-collar background I had, so can anyone else. If you want something bad enough, you'll find away to do it.
I just wanted to comment on this post because you are bringing up good points that some of us on the NYC forum are constantly pointing out.

Your first section of this post, I find on many forums on this site that people point this out, how NYers compare the place they are currently living in to NY. My brother lives in a mid sized city in the south, he and his wife are professionals, and they live very well. However he told me that he used to do this, but he wasn't complaining, he really likes his new city (he's been there about 20 years now). He lived most of life in NYC and that was his point of reference, he wasn't saying that they should change anything they were doing down there, he just had nothing else to compare to when having friendly conversation trying to get to know people better, and to share with himself with them.

An older person that he worked under early in his career when he was still in NYC and became his mentor since that time, pointed out that he shouldn't do that, when my brother was wondering why some of his conversations went awry. His mentor was from the south and also returned to the south to teach in a university. My brother was totally unaware that people consider this complaining.

I know you are sharing a little about yourself and most of us like learning a little about each other it helps us all understand our viewpoints better. Keep in mind that people that are in poverty, that don't have the necessary social skills to be successful were probably not raised in a stable home, with loving nurturing families. They usually are comfortable mostly around people like themselves. Also others that come from the stable, nurturing environments are not comfortable around them either. So there is a barrier there that prevents them from learning the necessary social skills quick enough to change the course in their lives and get them out of poverty.

Plus it is really hard to learn as an adult if you are functionally illiterate by the time you are the age to finish HS. GED diplomas especially in NYS are hard to earn if your reading, math, and writing skills are less than equivalent to 12th grade level. A person would need this in order to go into the military, or skilled trades. For people that grew up in violence, in shelters, in foster care, it is a miracle if they are just able to remain relatively sane by the time they reach adult hood.

Before gentrification in communities like Harlem, Bedstuy etc we could take care of these adults to some degree, let them sleep in the buildings basement, one person give a plate of food one day, another person give a plate another day etc. The church down the block could give them a few dollars to clean the church on Friday before Sunday's service. Some churches would house a few men or women until they could get on their feet. But most of these people would be victims of the upbringing that I have described.
They would lack education and attempt to get it, but some need basic literacy programs before attempting a GED. After basic literacy their are very few programs that bridge the gap between someone that is on 6th grade reading and math level and 12th grade, so the GED is almost unattainable.

Old 01-23-2014, 09:32 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,542,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
You're a liar.
I wish I was lying. I live in Dumbo and the other day as I was driving home past Farragut, some lady is pushing a Stokke Stroller. Thats not even counting all the Bugaboos I see, but I always assumed they were getting them second hand since Bugaboos have been around a while... but I guess not.

Lots of nice cars with blingy rims in Farragut parking lot too.

Old 01-23-2014, 09:57 AM

343 posts, read 1,093,059 times
this thread is all over the place - literally! LA to Dumbo to the projects & back.

Lord Jesus its a fire.

Old 01-23-2014, 10:13 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,320,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
I wish I was lying. I live in Dumbo and the other day as I was driving home past Farragut, some lady is pushing a Stokke Stroller. Thats not even counting all the Bugaboos I see, but I always assumed they were getting them second hand since Bugaboos have been around a while... but I guess not.

Lots of nice cars with blingy rims in Farragut parking lot too.
Blingy rims are the number one reason for car thefts these days. Not trying to stereotype all those in the Farragut houses as having stolen rims or babystrollers.

Old 01-23-2014, 10:24 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,542,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Blingy rims are the number one reason for car thefts these days. Not trying to stereotype all those in the Farragut houses as having stolen rims or babystrollers.
Forget the blingy rims, why do people in the projects even have cars??? Its a luxury item in NYC proper, even if you driving a crappy Toyota.

Old 01-23-2014, 10:25 AM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,861,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Well, if you came from a poor background and went to Princeton, you can indeed work at Goldman Sachs. It might not be easy, but there are certainly people who can do it. Sonia Sotomayor was born in the Bronx, has two ivy league degrees, and is now a Supreme Court justice. Spike Lee came from a poor family in the South, went to Moorehouse in Georgia undergrad and NYU for grad school, and is now a known film director.

Mind you, that's not the path for everyone. Some poor people may be better of working their way up in retail. Others may end up getting civil service jobs like working in the Post Office or Sanitation Department. Different people have different strengths and talents and interests.
Spike Lee comes from a family of educators in the south. But he was not born poor, and his family owned a row house (brownstone) in Carroll Gardens, Bklyn. His mom was a teacher. His dad was a Jazz musician. Both of his parents have college degrees. I'd hardly use him as a person that worked their way out of poverty. Morehouse is not cheap, and they give few scholarships. Spike is smart but he is not a rocket scientist.

Sonia Sotomayor was born in the Bronx and was not rich. Her mother was a widow but raised her in a loving, nurturing, stable environment. You could use her as a person that worked their way up, but her families love and stability went a long way in helping her to succeed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City