Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2014, 08:35 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,924,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Not that many well to do people spend much time at the opera either, and I doubt wealthy regular New York City residents spend much time at the museum. Tourists go a lot, for starters. Or people take their children. Once you've seen those exhibits a few times what else is there to see? Ditto the zoo. Another reason to go is if you're doing academic research on something in the museum. But this doesn't translate into large numbers of people needing to go to the museum on a regular basis.
Absolutely bizarre.
Most people we know visit museums on a regular basis. And are involved in other ways.
Many have season opera tickets. Thus the idea of the seasons being "sold out," a constant challenge if you move too slowly.

Old 01-20-2014, 08:36 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,924,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxx View Post

But your right. I think people have misconceptions that people with a lot of money are interested in the opera, museums, etc. but for the most part they probably aren't.
And you base this assumption on ...

Old 01-20-2014, 08:39 PM

2,678 posts, read 1,699,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
And you base this assumption on ...
I base this assumption on the fact that many people from poor backgrounds, the ones that I know in particular are not sitting around saying

"Hey lets go see the opera tonight/today!" "Have you seen that opera show______________?"

Museums could be different however.

So yes. That is indeed my very own assumption, which does not in any way make it true.

Old 01-20-2014, 08:47 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,963,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Absolutely bizarre.
Most people we know visit museums on a regular basis. And are involved in other ways.
Many have season opera tickets. Thus the idea of the seasons being "sold out," a constant challenge if you move too slowly.
Do opera sales match the sales of pop music? Obviously not, there's a reason an A pop star makes much more money than an A list opera singer. The masses of people in the public are not terrible interested in opera or classical music.

As for museum ticket sales, they don't match the revenues of the restaurant/bar industry. Don't even try to suggest they do.

All this is provable by counting how much money people are willing to spend on the things they do or like.

Old 01-20-2014, 09:34 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
Poor immigrants from Mexico, China, and India keeps coming to NYC and they have nothing, they can collect any benefits and they work all the hard jobs that nobody wanted and they usually within a few years their lives improve.

Old 01-20-2014, 09:45 PM

2,727 posts, read 2,832,514 times
Similar to the OP, I can't understand why upper middle class white people would subject themselves to living in such a racist shthole like nyc. Make $200k / year so you can live in a 600 sq ft apartment, with homeless people outside your door, and forced to take the subway which looks like a third world country. Having to walk down the street worried about a bunch of racist ghetto thugs playing racially motivated knock out games. And then also the high tax burden which is racially discriminate. And for the property taxes paid, it would be nice not to shell out $40k per year to send a kid to private school. But I'd send my kid to school in Afghanistan before nyc public school.

Move to a place like Jacksonville, Texas, North Carolina, etc and don't have to worry about living in a cess pool, oversized homeless shelter

Old 01-20-2014, 10:30 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,578,964 times
Default True

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miranda231 View Post
The prospects for young black inner city low income boys is truly appalling. Again, they are serving as nothing more than revenue for the prison industrial complex.
The true definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, yet expecting different results.
True. Their prospects are so horrible due to several factors: unjust prison sentencing (often for non-violent crimes, often bad or unbalanced upbringing by mom/grandmother. His absentee, irresponsible, drugged up, or jailbird/criminally-minded father is the albatross around the boys' neck. We can not neglect the fact that the fruit doesn't fall too far from the tree. As the father goes, so will go the son in many cases. Growing up in a neighborhood environment full of other little boys in the same predicament is another factor. These neighborhoods also tend to laugh and applaud behavior, from the boys, of which they should be ashamed so that encourages the boys to continue on the WRONG path in life. When you are raised to have no sense of dignity, self-respect, or self-discipline then this is what happens -- horrible prospects in life.

Old 01-20-2014, 10:44 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,578,964 times
Default Whose job is it to keep close watch on the kids?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelismaticEchoes View Post
I think more outlets should be given to help push and educate and keep close watch on kids to get them on the right path to education so that way future generations can get out of poverty and learn that they don't have to stay in an impoverished setting.

When you know better, you do better.
There are already many outlets (free libraries in every community, free computer use at the library, often monthly classes to teach computer skills, internet use, thousands of books from which to get information or educate one's self on a topic they if they chose), and a push for education has been going on for decades now. Many of the parents do not think highly of education so they don't keep close watch on their kids to get them on the right path. Their children end up taking on the same mentality. Homework is an after thought and rarely done. They can fail tests or classes, be absent, play around, curse out teachers and other school staff, fight each other as well as school staff, and continue to disrupt the class without fear of punitive actions by parent(s) for doing so. School is seen a place for them to go to get out the house for a few hours, not to get an education. Glorified baby-sitter even for the teens. More outlets aren't needed. What is needed is for people to take advantage of what is already available. As long as they continue to disregard to do so, then they apparently choose to continue to extend poverty over the family and the problems that accompany it.

Old 01-20-2014, 11:15 PM

284 posts, read 640,959 times
the NYC forum is by far the most ignorant and racist forum on CD. i thought this city was so "diverse", "liberal", and "open". threads like these make me wonder is it the transplants tarnishing this city with their naive ignorance or are native new yorkers really this closed-minded.

Old 01-20-2014, 11:37 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,963,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymags View Post
Similar to the OP, I can't understand why upper middle class white people would subject themselves to living in such a racist shthole like nyc. Make $200k / year so you can live in a 600 sq ft apartment, with homeless people outside your door, and forced to take the subway which looks like a third world country. Having to walk down the street worried about a bunch of racist ghetto thugs playing racially motivated knock out games. And then also the high tax burden which is racially discriminate. And for the property taxes paid, it would be nice not to shell out $40k per year to send a kid to private school. But I'd send my kid to school in Afghanistan before nyc public school.

Move to a place like Jacksonville, Texas, North Carolina, etc and don't have to worry about living in a cess pool, oversized homeless shelter
There would be those who can't understand why some people would subject themselves to living in the South. Not everyone is a frightened woman when it comes to poor people. Some people of both genders can take care of themselves. Some people love public transportation. Some people love colder winters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City