Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 08:49 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,307,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
Asians oppress their own people, not us. What do you mean the way I feel?
Own people? Some type of Asians oppressed other types of Asians. The way some types of westerners oppressed other types of westerners. Asians aren't all the same people just because you think we all look alike.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2014, 01:59 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,398,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Own people? Some type of Asians oppressed other types of Asians. The way some types of westerners oppressed other types of westerners. Asians aren't all the same people just because you think we all look alike.

I didn't say that all Asians were the same. Asia is a whole continent, so you're splitting hairs, man.

Old 07-29-2014, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
I didn't say that all Asians were the same. Asia is a whole continent, so you're splitting hairs, man.
Sorry...sometimes your posts can be extremely vague.

Old 10-05-2014, 06:07 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,860,440 times
Anyone tried the rotisserie chicken and ribs at that Calvin Rib House? I saw the pics in the NYDN article about the black kids in Park Slope. Looks delicious.

Old 10-05-2014, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
Anyone tried the rotisserie chicken and ribs at that Calvin Rib House? I saw the pics in the NYDN article about the black kids in Park Slope. Looks delicious.
No, but I pass by it all the time with temptation. I'll stop in over the next couple weeks to check it out.

Old 10-05-2014, 09:35 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,963,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
^
My last boss (at a major media company) had a South American background. Unless he told you, you wouldn't know he's not from a European background. And lots of Puerto Ricans have basically become white. There just not the ones you see in the ghettos.

Hispanics are just the next wave of immigrants. After a generation or two, they'll assimilate like the rest. The fact that so many just came over, or are first generation here camouflages that fact.
There are certainly white Puerto Ricans ,but outright white Puerto Ricans are not the majority of Puerto Ricans.

Most Mexicans are not white, either. They have lots of Native American ancestry, some white ancestry, small amounts of African ancestry, etc.

And while certainly many Hispanics have already assimiliated, many have not for whatever reason.

Hispanics aren't one big giant robot. It amazes me when people have a coworker or friend and use that person as the spokesperson for hundreds of millions of people. You do realize all Hispanics are not your boss, right?

Old 11-04-2014, 09:46 PM

34 posts, read 39,322 times
I'm white living in a mostly black part of Brooklyn. When I first moved here, I was the only white person I saw. Then one night about a year ago, I saw some white guys at a bodega. A new building opened, and suddenly the subway was full of white people in the morning. It caused observational conversations between my neighbors and myself, mostly in terms of rents going up. But it's not a shock. If you live in NYC, you know this keeps happening. Plus side, we have a few nicer stores and restaurants that have come along. Negative side, we know our landlord is hoping the old-timers in rent-stabilized apartments move out. Me? I think it's much ado about nothing. These people are moving in so they can get a fancy two-bedroom with all the modern conveniences, a balcony, laundry room on site, as well as a gym, etc., for $3K a month. They aren't fighting to pay $3K for my dumpy walk-up. And as far as I've seen, the city isn't really approving new construction that involves knocking down occupied buildings.

Regardless, you don't live in NYC! Remark on changes you see all you want. But don't berate the city because of one experience in one bar. I live here, and I wouldn't go to that bar.

Old 11-04-2014, 09:52 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philopower View Post
So I visited NY last weekend and stayed in the bed-stuy area with a friend. I am appalled at the gentrification, there were renovated town brownstones everywhere and the hip new restaurants were charging $15+ a plate. I even went to a bar called one last shag and it was supposed to be latin night, but there was more white people with barely any latinos. They started playing Notorious BIG and I heard all these white girls rapping along saying the n word. I was appalled.
Head over to Newark.

Old 11-04-2014, 10:19 PM

10 posts, read 18,935 times
Gentrification takes many years. Is it really moving that fast in Brooklyn? Forget Brooklyn Heights, but is Bedsty moving that fast?

Old 11-05-2014, 05:11 AM

3,244 posts, read 5,238,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizardofmoz View Post
one night about a year ago, I saw some white guys at a bodega. A new building opened, and suddenly the subway was full of white people in the morning.
There goes the neighborhood!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City