Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2008, 02:27 PM

148 posts, read 268,427 times

Advertisements

And I know I asked this before, but everyone keeps giving me different answers. What should I wear for day 1 at FBF? I just don't wanna look like an ass the first day out. Please someone give me a definitive answer.

Old 08-05-2008, 02:31 PM

1,809 posts, read 7,062,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 606313X View Post
My garage couldn't find the transfer paperwork today. It's like they don't want us to leave.
LOL,have they given you a nickname yet?

Old 08-05-2008, 02:33 PM

Sorry thekuai, does DSNY at least give you like a transitchek or ezpass to get to the Bronx? I live in Queens but I highly doubt that I could get a garage in QW. The Army does the same thing. They give you a dream sheet and whatever you choose, they give you the farthest point from it. Maybe when I get my chance I'll use reverse psychology and pick the worst place first. Anyone have any suggestions for the worst garage?

Old 08-05-2008, 02:35 PM

1,809 posts, read 7,062,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey_MV View Post
Question:

On the white sheet that tells you what to bring to FBF on 8/11 (the sheet with the yellow form attached) under "Uniform Requirements" it says "do not purchase before appontment date"

I'm ignoring that, since all you guys went with the yellow sheet & that's what I'm going to do, but then I noticed something like "cash, check or money order is accepted"

You mean I can't go to the uniform store & pay with a credit card, I need CASH??????
Each uniform store has its own policy. I am sure they all take credit cards. DSNY only takes money orders,same with the union. Just to be safe call the store beforehand to make sure they take credit cards. Nobody walks around with $600.00-$800.00 in cash in Brooklyn unless they are armed,lol.

Old 08-05-2008, 03:12 PM

389 posts, read 774,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by busterwolf View Post
And I know I asked this before, but everyone keeps giving me different answers. What should I wear for day 1 at FBF? I just don't wanna look like an ass the first day out. Please someone give me a definitive answer.
A button-down or polo, jeans and BOOTS and you'll be fine. Uniforms started popping up by the 2nd day since a bunch (most of us on here) ordered them earlier and picked them up after the 1st Monday.

Old 08-05-2008, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterwolf View Post
Sorry thekuai, does DSNY at least give you like a transitchek or ezpass to get to the Bronx? I live in Queens but I highly doubt that I could get a garage in QW. The Army does the same thing. They give you a dream sheet and whatever you choose, they give you the farthest point from it. Maybe when I get my chance I'll use reverse psychology and pick the worst place first. Anyone have any suggestions for the worst garage?
Live in Queens? Stand in line for a transfer - LOL.
It's just a matter of picking the right place to go for now if you at least want to get into the borough. Likely you can forget about some high seniority places like Q7 and 11 maybe 14, did OJT at Q1 that was pretty nice (guys good, garage could stand to be knocked down and rebuilt).
You get 3 garage choices for transfer. Apparently from what I heard you just can't pick Queens East Boroughwide or Brooklyn South or whatever, you need 3 specific locations and you can say 'districtwide' which will get you into any section in that garage.

Old 08-05-2008, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vantastic10 View Post
LOL,have they given you a nickname yet?
Well some guy called me Ray Liotta yesterday. I've been hearing that one for years.

Old 08-05-2008, 03:23 PM

Thanx 606313x for squaring me away. Now I just have to get my paperwork ready. I orderd my uniforms 2 weeks ago. Everything came up to about 500 bucks, but at least I'll have my duds ready for day 2.

Old 08-05-2008, 03:27 PM

473 posts, read 932,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vantastic10 View Post
Well then you are an exception along with SalSan(Bk14). I figure just about everybody wants to transfer out from where they were sent to. What garage were you in today? Oh and how is the parking? You park alongside New Calvary Cemetery right?
Today I was in Queens West Broom Garage which is 5A. The guy I drove with happened to have my section so I got to see more of where I will be working.

Old 08-05-2008, 03:32 PM

473 posts, read 932,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 606313X View Post
Well some guy called me Ray Liotta yesterday. I've been hearing that one for years.
I loved when rizzuto called you "Bud" and then asked your name and you said "Miller" I thought it was funny. I like "Bud" it is a good nickname
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City