Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2009, 01:11 PM

372 posts, read 830,215 times

Advertisements

alot of things could happen like corruption, error in marking tests or soemone that knows someone (gives them a higher grade)..how safe is it to provide this service to a contractor what obligation do they have to the city of New York..

Old 02-13-2009, 01:23 PM

246 posts, read 593,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCsanman View Post
If people who are ALREADY on this job give a s**t about possible layoffs, then what can I say... It does not take a rocket scientist to figure it out. Just dont dump your truck on-shift. This will re-create the need for more relay-men.IE more jobs.-no layoffs ...if everyone did this then NYC would not even THINK about layoffs for DSNY but would be FORCED to hire MORE men. But Hey, what do I know? Iam just a garbage man LOL. peace n love.
They would just do what they did the last time we had layoff's back in 2002.In my district we have 17-19 relay men a nite depending on what day it is and what they did was cut ALL of those relay men .So if they ran 26 trunks on the day line there was 26 guys for overtime with nobody working nite's but the GU'S.Now people are going to say well how does this save money giving all these guys overtime they save there money on health insurance if they lay 500 people off that's 500 less people to pay health care for .That's were all there savings were the last time we had layoff's
So I don't think they will run out and hire more people to dump trucks if people stop dumping on shift there just going to give people overtime like crazy.

Old 02-13-2009, 05:06 PM

1,809 posts, read 7,062,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingcals View Post
alot of things could happen like corruption, error in marking tests or soemone that knows someone (gives them a higher grade)..how safe is it to provide this service to a contractor what obligation do they have to the city of New York..
That is the way that I see it as well. Although I see a lot of flaws in DCAS. The City makes money from these exams.

Old 02-13-2009, 05:17 PM

364 posts, read 739,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by offwing View Post
They would just do what they did the last time we had layoff's back in 2002.In my district we have 17-19 relay men a nite depending on what day it is and what they did was cut ALL of those relay men .So if they ran 26 trunks on the day line there was 26 guys for overtime with nobody working nite's but the GU'S.Now people are going to say well how does this save money giving all these guys overtime they save there money on health insurance if they lay 500 people off that's 500 less people to pay health care for .That's were all there savings were the last time we had layoff's
So I don't think they will run out and hire more people to dump trucks if people stop dumping on shift there just going to give people overtime like crazy.
I have said that a million times. Plus they are so over even if you did lay off a thousand, because of surplus cleaners they would just cut the cleaners and reassign them. The other thing would be assign them days then bring them back at midnite to dump the loads. This department hired in mass from 99 to 2002 for the purpose of the relay export program. Extra people were hired to clean up after 9/11. Those people were eventually layed off, then rehired. Bottom line is we have to many people, and the only reason people care now is because of the economy. Not dumping or giving back work is not going to change that.

Old 02-13-2009, 06:12 PM

372 posts, read 830,215 times
if were over so many people why do they cancel charts....also we only have what 6,600 guys compared to the 70s 15,000...I hear were over every day but it just doesnt feel that way to me...

Old 02-13-2009, 06:41 PM

364 posts, read 739,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingcals View Post
if were over so many people why do they cancel charts....also we only have what 6,600 guys compared to the 70s 15,000...I hear were over every day but it just doesnt feel that way to me...
They only cancel charts after a holiday, because they are behind a day workwise. Snow threat is another reason otherwise you will never make a chart. The 3 man truck was around back in the day that could account for most of those people, that and the fact that there was no recycling meaning alot more garbage. Containerization ie ez packs ro ro routes there are many reasons.

Last edited by Turkey Tuesdays; 02-13-2009 at 07:07 PM..

Old 02-14-2009, 07:24 AM

72 posts, read 198,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbysgirl23 View Post
I totally understand not wanting to give anything back that you worked so hard to get.

I have a question though, a friend of ours otj brought over his contract book & in it (page 10) it says regarding the longevity increases...... "the 15 & 20 year steps are pensionable AFTER 25 years of service"

So don't most of you stay the 25 years in order to get the maximum pension? Because if you leave after 20 years you are kinda getting screwed, no?

If they change it to 25 years will they then make you work 30 to get the maximum?? YIKES! They are a little deceptive I've noticed, lol

Your right, the 15 & 20 year longevity rates are ONLY pensionable after 25 years of service. But we are ONLY talking about the longevity rate...not anything else, i.e. differentials, overtime, and reg. pay. I'm not sure of the exact increase from 10 to 15 years, and then 15 - 20 years...but probably around $1,000 to $1250. So you would have to work another five years to get the additional two longevity (15 & 20 year rate increases) which would mean an additional $2000 - $2500/yr. in pensionable income. For arguments sake (and to make make very workable numbers)...let's say $2400 per yr at 50% pay for retirement purposes is $1200 or $100/month.

Question....do you want to make $100 more a month in retirement pay by working another FIVE years....or do you want to retire now. I guesss only each individual can answer that. It's like if someone said to you....retire now and your pension will be $4,300/month or work another five years and it will be $4,400 a month....what would you decide?

Again, that's considering all things being equal. Of course they would not. Naturally, by working an additional five years your pension would be greater because your salary would be higher over those last five additional years. Even at a compounded 2.5%/yr the current top pay would go from around the current $70,000 to nearly $80,000. That would have a much greater impact for me personally.

Lastly, that whole you have to work 25+ to get the 15 & 20 year longevity reates as pensionable is a joke in my opinion. I don't know how unions agreed to that. I understand during contract talks you odten have to give something to get something...but this is just flat out wrong. It's in the contract to keep people in the job, its part of your paycheck....YOU PAY REGULAR TAX on it each week...yet you dont count it for your pension. Seems so arbitrary...like why not no differentials are pensionable, or truck money. Peole would go nuts if that happened...then why accept a CERTAIN part of your longevity... at the same time a CERTAIN portion IS pensionable. When the union needs to give something up in the next contract talks... this is something I think they should get back or put on the table to use in negotiating.

Just my opinion. As always, good luck to all.

Old 02-14-2009, 12:25 PM

57 posts, read 158,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanManHopeful View Post
Your right, the 15 & 20 year longevity rates are ONLY pensionable after 25 years of service. But we are ONLY talking about the longevity rate...not anything else, i.e. differentials, overtime, and reg. pay. I'm not sure of the exact increase from 10 to 15 years, and then 15 - 20 years...but probably around $1,000 to $1250. So you would have to work another five years to get the additional two longevity (15 & 20 year rate increases) which would mean an additional $2000 - $2500/yr. in pensionable income. For arguments sake (and to make make very workable numbers)...let's say $2400 per yr at 50% pay for retirement purposes is $1200 or $100/month.

Question....do you want to make $100 more a month in retirement pay by working another FIVE years....or do you want to retire now. I guesss only each individual can answer that. It's like if someone said to you....retire now and your pension will be $4,300/month or work another five years and it will be $4,400 a month....what would you decide?

Again, that's considering all things being equal. Of course they would not. Naturally, by working an additional five years your pension would be greater because your salary would be higher over those last five additional years. Even at a compounded 2.5%/yr the current top pay would go from around the current $70,000 to nearly $80,000. That would have a much greater impact for me personally.

Lastly, that whole you have to work 25+ to get the 15 & 20 year longevity reates as pensionable is a joke in my opinion. I don't know how unions agreed to that. I understand during contract talks you odten have to give something to get something...but this is just flat out wrong. It's in the contract to keep people in the job, its part of your paycheck....YOU PAY REGULAR TAX on it each week...yet you dont count it for your pension. Seems so arbitrary...like why not no differentials are pensionable, or truck money. Peole would go nuts if that happened...then why accept a CERTAIN part of your longevity... at the same time a CERTAIN portion IS pensionable. When the union needs to give something up in the next contract talks... this is something I think they should get back or put on the table to use in negotiating.

Just my opinion. As always, good luck to all.
Actually I think the 15 year longevity was over $3,000 & the 20 year was over $4,000. You are right though, they probably had to give something back in the negotiation & they snuck this in.

You are also correct that it's not fair, as you pay tax on that money, it's YOUR SALARY. You are still better off than those of us in the private sector though..... In my job, (non city) my pension is based on BASE salary excluding ALL overtime and bonuses, now that really sucks, lol

Old 02-14-2009, 07:09 PM

72 posts, read 198,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbysgirl23 View Post
Actually I think the 15 year longevity was over $3,000 & the 20 year was over $4,000. You are right though, they probably had to give something back in the negotiation & they snuck this in.

You are also correct that it's not fair, as you pay tax on that money, it's YOUR SALARY. You are still better off than those of us in the private sector though..... In my job, (non city) my pension is based on BASE salary excluding ALL overtime and bonuses, now that really sucks, lol
Yeah the 15 & 20 year are around $3000 & $4000 but you would still get the 10 year longevity ($2,000) as pensionable so the difference would be only $2000. Anyway...your right the private sector rarely offers any pensions anymore. However, working for the city you re never going to be rich...so you need a solid pension. LOL.

Old 02-15-2009, 05:59 AM

18 posts, read 52,023 times
Default UPDATE on Test !!!!

I haven't been here for a very long time.Can someone update me on the hiring from test #6063 ? What number are they up to? Etc....

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City