Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2009, 03:54 PM

335 posts, read 747,928 times

Advertisements

700? are you kidding?

Old 03-03-2009, 04:45 PM

128 posts, read 268,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epyon7280 View Post
700? are you kidding?
Im starting to feel the same way.... Im in the 950s and I feel like it never gonna happen... I think im gonna take the NYPD test myself... Hey Epyon why did you say "are you kidding?" just wondering maybe you know something we dont......

Old 03-03-2009, 05:44 PM

576 posts, read 1,547,869 times
I think he means 700s is a low number and that he will most likely get called if not soon then later. NYPD isnt bad if I had the 2 years of college id do it. I was actually thinking of doing the credits just to try the NYPD! Good Luck tho On whatever you decide!

Old 03-03-2009, 06:26 PM

I mean I aint gonna tell anyone not to apply for other jobs but the idea that anyone with an list number around 700 or even 950s isn't going to to get called is just crazy talk. That would mean no more hiring from this list at all. By the end of the list we would probably be under the head count by 1000 guys if not more. Its my belief that there will be a class this year. Maybe only 2 like last year to replace those leaving. And if we dont have a class this year you can bet your house then next year. But trust me there has to be a class this year coming up. I am not saying there will be many classes, I think maybe 2 class of 100 each just to cover themselves for those who have left.

If anything the more it snows the better it looks for those wanting to get hired. Because all sanitation has to do when it summer or near fall is write the mayor " dear mayor, we need approval for 200 plus sanitation workers due to attrition of our current force to help with this years up coming busy holiday season and possible snow season to keep new york city's streets clean and operating. We sincerely hope you can grant this request to keep nyc running. We currently have 7,XXX sanitation workers active and the headcount is 7,YYY. "

I doubt if there is headcount space that the mayor would say no. Esp knowing that holiday season is coming and that means tourist and new year eve party at time square and snow storms and christmas tree that need to be picked up and etc,etc. The Mayor was just with the commisioner and first commisioner the other day on the radio saying what a great job sanitation was doing cleaning the streets. I just hope there are 2 classes this year. Then hopefully next year it picks up and there are more.

(btw i dont know what the letter looks like when they are requesting more sanitation workers, that up there is just my guess but i am sure it somewhat looks like that for any agency that is hiring that is part of the city and has to have the mayor's office approve it.)

Old 03-03-2009, 09:09 PM

156 posts, read 370,231 times
^^^ Epyon I think you might be overlooking something...headcount obviously isn't an issue right now...Nespoli told us they didn't even really need my class (imagine hearing that from the head of your Union the 1st day at Floyd Bennett), and I was hired before the 2 classes last summer...

besides that, Bloomberg is pushing HARD for the new 25/50 pension tier and for us to pay 10% of our health care costs (which I also found out is upped to 25% for a family)...it's ironic that Bloomberg was giving speeches on Monday commending us for our hard work during the snowstorm, while that same day he had an article in the editorial section of The Post talking about the need for city workers to "share the pain" (pension reform, health care reform, etc.)...

I seriously doubt anyone new is going to be hired until the pension/health care issues are settled one way or the other...and it's not just DSNY either, check any FDNY forum, they are worried about layoffs too, and some of those guys don't think there will be any new hires for 2 years...

as FULLTRUCK put it: "This job is about to take a turn"...layoffs would only make it a longer wait...kingcals said a shop steward spoke at his garage a few days ago about the possibility of layoffs, "if it happens it happens"...but with Night Plow ending next month, I think we'll all have a better understanding of what's going to happen in the future soon

Old 03-03-2009, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by illmatic View Post
^^^ Epyon I think you might be overlooking something...headcount obviously isn't an issue right now...Nespoli told us they didn't even really need my class (imagine hearing that from the head of your Union the 1st day at Floyd Bennett), and I was hired before the 2 classes last summer...

besides that, Bloomberg is pushing HARD for the new 25/50 pension tier and for us to pay 10% of our health care costs (which I also found out is upped to 25% for a family)...it's ironic that Bloomberg was giving speeches on Monday commending us for our hard work during the snowstorm, while that same day he had an article in the editorial section of The Post talking about the need for city workers to "share the pain" (pension reform, health care reform, etc.)...

I seriously doubt anyone new is going to be hired until the pension/health care issues are settled one way or the other...and it's not just DSNY either, check any FDNY forum, they are worried about layoffs too, and some of those guys don't think there will be any new hires for 2 years...

as FULLTRUCK put it: "This job is about to take a turn"...layoffs would only make it a longer wait...kingcals said a shop steward spoke at his garage a few days ago about the possibility of layoffs, "if it happens it happens"...but with Night Plow ending next month, I think we'll all have a better understanding of what's going to happen in the future soon

At the time when you were hired you techincally weren't needed. Now you are. At that time your class was only brought in to replace the guys that left annd were anticipated to leave in the coming months.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:44 PM

156 posts, read 370,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epyon7280 View Post
At the time when you were hired you techincally weren't needed. Now you are. At that time your class was only brought in to replace the guys that left annd were anticipated to leave in the coming months.
trust me, I hope you're right...I think any junior guy would tell you they'd love to see as many new hires as possible as often as possible, myself included...and maybe it's just my district, but there still doesn't seem to be a need for manpower right now...it also seems like they're not worried about the headcount if they're talking about possible layoffs by the hundreds

I guess the point of my post before this was that there doesn't seem to be much optimism about new classes anytime soon (at least in my garage), so for someone waiting on DSNY it can't hurt to leave all their options open, and to look at everything that might be available while you wait

Old 03-04-2009, 03:12 AM

32 posts, read 135,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7xxSanitList View Post
Took the NYPD test last week...... Sad really ....dont think I'm getting on Sanitation anytime soon with a list number in the 700's..... It's my luck though..... Oh well....... Sorry guys just venting.... I havent cryed in here in a while..
700's is a great # but probably better of with nypd sanitation is not all its cracked up to be the pay stinks the benifits are not great hours bite , for the life of me can't find nothing good to say about this job except mostly good people to work with.

Old 03-04-2009, 03:42 AM

32 posts, read 135,029 times
anyone going to the rally Thursday

Old 03-04-2009, 06:05 AM

372 posts, read 830,285 times
take all the tests im 23 since ive been 17 ive been taking tests and turning down jobs its better to turn them down then never have a shot at a job..ive taken post office nypd correctons (city and state) fdny nassau suffolk cops bus operator MTA...NYPD and corrections still call me and I throw the letter right in the garbage,the only job I would leave DSNY for is FDNY and with list number 25** I don't know if im gonna make it...cv3123 simple question how many cops become sanmen??and how many sanmen go to NYPD ill tell you there are hundreds more cops going DSNY then the other way around...who wants to get spit on and get in trouble for arresting someone wrong lol people give cops no respect...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City