Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2014, 09:32 PM

725 posts, read 806,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
I'm convinced now that you are stormfront poser or similar.

Just letting you know that this site will not be good for you and your beliefs.
I'm just telling the truth. There has got to be a reason that blacks and Latinos continually perform poorly in schools. Maybe just maybe it is genetic instead of environmental.

Old 03-26-2014, 09:35 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,491,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJW001 View Post
Studying won't do anything. Some groups as a whole just aren't good at certain things. They are not capable.
This post has to be the biggest crock of horse**** I've read in awhile.

Old 03-26-2014, 09:52 PM

Quote:
I'm just telling the truth. There has got to be a reason that blacks and Latinos continually perform poorly in schools. Maybe just maybe it is genetic instead of environmental.
It is the truth? Says who? You, an internet nobody? Care to back up your claim that it is genetic? I want to see you pull legitimate proof that performing poorly in school is genetic. Until then, you sir are a total dumbass bigot. My Latino husband attended University of Texas and majored in computer science. He scored very well on the SAT. I scored well on the SAT and also attended a good school. My daughter's average has consistently been over 90 and she reads well beyond her peers. My father is a retired engineer and attended school in this country on an academic scholarship. Now, according to you, because we are what we are, we should be performing poorly in academics. Because you know, it's something inherent..some flaw that we have by default. You know what? If I gave my mother that copout "genetics" excuse as a reason for failing an exam, she would have slapped me upside my head and made me study until the crack of dawn. My mother didn't play. Likewise, if my daughter ever tells me some bull**** about genetics as the reason for why she's failing a subject, I'll nail her butt to the chair and there would be NO entertainment other than the books. Our kid does well in school because we don't fill her mind with such asinine crap like "genetics". She can do whatever she puts her mind to and she can be whatever she wants to be. Your reason is nothing but a **** poor excuse and it is absolutely not true. If you have parents who demand excellence, you have a good chance of doing well in school. PERIOD.

You can take your genetics and shove it up your rear.

Old 03-26-2014, 09:57 PM

That's why I said "some groups as a whole". There are always exceptions to the norm and those exceptions can be substantial. But when 80 percent of a particular group is a certain way, yes I am going to perceive that group as a whole to be that certain way.

Old 03-26-2014, 10:00 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,415,956 times
Quote:
That's why I said "some groups as a whole". There are always exceptions to the norm and those exceptions can be substantial. But when 80 percent of a particular group is a certain way, yes I am going to perceive that group as a whole to be that certain way.
You have no proof of 80 percent.

Old 03-26-2014, 10:07 PM

Saying you can do anything you Put your mind to is pretty foolish. Not everyone is capable of anything. I can't be a good baseball player or good surgeon (unsteady hands) nor could I be a good mathematician because my mind is geared to analysis and intellectual curiosity and not formulas and numbers. I am limited by my body and by my mind. No matter how hard I try I will not be good at certain things. And that's ok. It is wonderful that I know what I am good at and what I am not so good at. Life is short enough. No need to waste time doing nonsense.

It doesn't help kids pushing them in a direction they will not succeed in. All these standardized tests a geared toward college. Maybe it is best for those kids to go on a different path in a way that is going to allow them to support themselves well and be productive.

Old 03-26-2014, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Saying you can do anything you Put your mind to is pretty foolish. Not everyone is capable of anything. I can't be a good baseball player or good surgeon (unsteady hands) nor could I be a good mathematician because my mind is geared to analysis and intellectual curiosity and not formulas and numbers. I am limited by my body and by my mind. No matter how hard I try I will not be good at certain things. And that's ok. It is wonderful that I know what I am good at and what I am not so good at. Life is short enough. No need to waste time doing nonsense.

It doesn't help kids pushing them in a direction they will not succeed in. All these standardized tests a geared toward college. Maybe it is best for those kids to go on a different path in a way that is going to allow them to support themselves well and be productive.
No, it is not pretty foolish when it comes to academics, ****wit. When I applied myself, I excelled. When I gave average effort, I got average results. With parents like mine, average efforts weren't common. My daughter will also not be limited by anything, short of physically being unable. If she wants to go down a certain path, she's going to do it. And you and those who think like you aren't going to stand in her way. I will continue to push my daughter to excel because that is my duty as a loving parent. I will continue to have high expectations of her. Just like our parents had high expectations of us. And it paid off -- we are successful. We live a good life. For us to not push our daughters would be total dereliction of duty as parents. To allow them to half ass it through life without any sort of pushback from us would be criminal on our parts.

That is the problem -- too many minorities buy into your excuse making. The parents do not push and you have a bunch of kids thinking that the "ways that are going to allow them to support themselves well and be productive" involve sports or some other non-academic pursuit. They'll go for the lowest hanging fruit on the tree vs. higher branches. I don't buy your argument and the people in my circle don't either. Peddle your bigotry elsewhere.

Last edited by riaelise; 03-26-2014 at 11:36 PM..

Old 03-27-2014, 01:31 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,986,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
No, it is not pretty foolish when it comes to academics, ****wit. When I applied myself, I excelled. When I gave average effort, I got average results. With parents like mine, average efforts weren't common. My daughter will also not be limited by anything, short of physically being unable. If she wants to go down a certain path, she's going to do it. And you and those who think like you aren't going to stand in her way. I will continue to push my daughter to excel because that is my duty as a loving parent. I will continue to have high expectations of her. Just like our parents had high expectations of us. And it paid off -- we are successful. We live a good life. For us to not push our daughters would be total dereliction of duty as parents. To allow them to half ass it through life without any sort of pushback from us would be criminal on our parts.

That is the problem -- too many minorities buy into your excuse making. The parents do not push and you have a bunch of kids thinking that the "ways that are going to allow them to support themselves well and be productive" involve sports or some other non-academic pursuit. They'll go for the lowest hanging fruit on the tree vs. higher branches. I don't buy your argument and the people in my circle don't either. Peddle your bigotry elsewhere.
Children certainly have other influences in life beyond their parents, and there are many other factors into success than parental pushing.

You can't predict what your daughter will be or do in the future. It's ultimately her choice, not yours.

And to excel in a field you have to be talented and/or interested ABOVE and BEYOND the average person. I'll never forget how many freshmen want to be doctors because that's what their parents want them to be. Wait until sophomore or year though. Most would be pre meds end up dropping out. Only those with top grades and top MCAT scores will advance to medical school. The ones who advance are much better than the majority of their peers.

I agree, it's not productive to push kids into a direction that they ultimately aren't interested in, particularly if they are blown out of the water by competitors. These things are true of people regardless of race.

Old 03-27-2014, 01:34 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,986,996 times
Quote:

Agreed. The notion that one has to have a college degree in order to be somebody in and of itself is just plain stupid.

Old 03-27-2014, 06:14 AM

1,521 posts, read 1,818,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Hahahaha

You can't handle the truth! Asian students dominate NYC "top" high schools.

Stuyvesant High: Asian-American Domination In Elite Schools Triggers Resentment, Soul Searching

Peeps need to stop hating and whining and get their act's together. *LOL*
Yea, you would think after all the statistic data and research people would wake the f up and just accept how things are instead of trying to explain X and Y or giving excuses on Z. Blacks and Hispanics who throw the race card are so pathetic. I'm sick of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City