Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2014, 10:50 PM

2,678 posts, read 1,702,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
I meant bootlegged off the street. You won't find underground bootleg shops in white areas. Go to Hispanic or black areas and you will see a ton. Only difference now is that they don't do it on the street they do it in the back of stores.
Bootlegging, the sale of knockoff items, goods, or services has been around for years and not just in black or hispanic areas.

I've seen this done quite openly...and not in the rear of a store either lol.

Old 03-16-2014, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post

And I am getting somewhere with these scenarios. People who have both professional and/or personal experience with the underclass do not believe you can magically cure their problems by offering math classes. In fact, social workers/mental health workers tend to be negative on thinking much can be done for the underclass. Ditto for people who had to personally deal with them. I think a lot of people here are proposing solutions based on their own naivety and their own strange needs to feel good.

Many of the people I know who work in social services/mental health emotionally distance themselves from their clients, because their beggar clients will always want more and more and more help. Those who personally know these people also have had to either set strict boundaries or otherwise write these people out of their lives.
I have experience with both and I have to say this is true...I DON'T.

Old 03-16-2014, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennieboom View Post
As a Afro Caribbean guy, living in the city for a couple of years now i really wanna say

who are these black and latino apologists trying to fool?

Majority of the kids are under performing because they are not pushed by their parents to do well, there is a total breakdown in values and PRIORITIES. Some of them have the latest clothes, hottest weaves and are always in with the in crowd...on the train they are loud and ghetto coming from school because they are not tired in the least bit. I remember when i went to school and coming back from school i was tired because i studied. These kids have all the energy in the world to carry on with STUPIDITY.

Some of the black kids do well, but they are in the minority, those that do well don't usually hang out in a big groups of blacks. Also, they are more than likely kids of caribbean or african immigrants who force them to try to stand out and do well.

NYWriterdude shows us why Blacks underperform in academia, you heard his comment? he said "he does not care how black kids perform in school" if that is your group of people how could you not care?

The black community is inherently weak because there is no collective grouping among the race, its all individual mentality. thats why the black race is at the bottom of the economics, business and entrepreneurship totem pole.

It will be interesting to see the performance of Indo Caribbeans as opposed to Indians, because lately many Indo Caribbean descent here in NYC, particular Guyanese kids are acting like majority of blacks with the slangs, urban stylish wear and moving farther away from education.

As long as the media keeps lauding blacks for their physical prowess, like singing, dancing, basketball, football etc i dont see things changing especially for black men as most of them wanna be the next Lebron, Lil Wayne or Jay Z...while nothing is wrong with attaining success for physical prowess, there can only be so much Lebrons!
Some of these kids (and their parents) have low self esteem, inferiority complexes, and very poor self image.

In my personal opinion this is a major reason. This is why I feel positive self esteem is important for children from these backgrounds.

You can push your child to study hard. YES.

But at the same time raising your child to be a valedictorian is equally as destructive when they should be allowed to see that they can impact the world in a positive way.

You do not have to get all As or an Ivy League degree to do this.

Old 03-17-2014, 02:20 AM

1,268 posts, read 2,562,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxx View Post
Some of these kids (and their parents) have low self esteem, inferiority complexes, and very poor self image.

In my personal opinion this is a major reason. This is why I feel positive self esteem is important for children from these backgrounds.

You can push your child to study hard. YES.

But at the same time raising your child to be a valedictorian is equally as destructive when they should be allowed to see that they can impact the world in a positive way.

You do not have to get all As or an Ivy League degree to do this.
I agree. Being a poor minority whose reflection of oneself that is, usually, negative really takes a toll on one's psyche and when somebody doesn't feel worthy, it will show up in how they perform in life including education. That's why I think it's fundamental to have communities show up for one another. Yes, individualism is important (especially when it comes to self-identity), but collectivism has its place and education & wealth are two places where it really counts.

Old 03-17-2014, 03:42 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,986,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxx View Post
There is nothing "Afrocentric" about a black person supporting another black person.

There is economic/military/intellectual/scientific weakness of black people. And this truth does not offend me.

If an "Afrocentric" person wishes to change what he or she sees, then by all means they can do so.

It has nothing to do with race or being naturally inferior. Lots of other groups UNDERPERFORM as well.

There are plenty of groups around the world that exist who wish to preserve their ethnic, cultural, religious, collective identity, or way of living. (pan-Arabs, Pennsylvania Dutch/Amish, Jews, Quebecois, and plenty of others are examples).

There is nothing wrong with this.
Those who wish to preserve their group do things like demand everyone perceived to be in the group do things for the "group". There is something wrong with that because that's oppressive. They resort to things like emotional blackmail and manipulation.

Why should I necessarily support a Black person, for example? If you say that I have to support other people with the same skin color as me, that is racist.

I have the right to support who I chose, or not support anyone if that so pleases me. For the record if I chose to help someone on anything, I do not look at the color of their skin and that is my right.

The fact there there is whatever perceived weakness of Black people as such does not concern me. And there are wealthy Blacks, there are Black scientists, Black academics, and Black professionals. And high ranking Black officials in this and in other countries. Of course, Black militants fetishize the underclass in an attempt to milk guilt from people. Basic manipulation 101.

Mind you, if I support anyone of any race, I'm looking for what do I get back in return. If the association is overall beneficial to me, I'll talk. If not, then it's goodbye. I think if more Blacks got rid of collectivist garbage and guilt they'd do better. Worrying about garbage will only weigh you down and actually prevents you from rising. Some people in any race are just dumb. Only the idiots among Blacks try to hide behind the race, and demand help from the race. It's a hustler's game/plain con. Nothing more, nothing less.

Old 03-17-2014, 03:49 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,986,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njnyckid View Post
I agree. Being a poor minority whose reflection of oneself that is, usually, negative really takes a toll on one's psyche and when somebody doesn't feel worthy, it will show up in how they perform in life including education. That's why I think it's fundamental to have communities show up for one another. Yes, individualism is important (especially when it comes to self-identity), but collectivism has its place and education & wealth are two places where it really counts.
Some people are smarter than others. Some people are talented. Why should more capable, smart people among "minorities" waste their time providing mental health/social services? Who has time to listen to psychobabble? You got low self esteem and feel bad about yourself? That's on you, and if you can't fix that, it's entirely on you. There's a concept called PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY, which group thinkers/collectivists seem to be unaware of.

Old 03-17-2014, 09:57 AM

1,268 posts, read 2,562,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Some people are smarter than others. Some people are talented. Why should more capable, smart people among "minorities" waste their time providing mental health/social services? Who has time to listen to psychobabble? You got low self esteem and feel bad about yourself? That's on you, and if you can't fix that, it's entirely on you. There's a concept called PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY, which group thinkers/collectivists seem to be unaware of.
Yes, Nywriterdude, I know you would rather leave those who you deem unworthy or trash behind, but you know what, some people care because they understand that nobody is truly an island. As far as I'm concerned, it would be disgusting for me to think that because I'm smart, I'm too special to not offer any help or service that I can to those less fortunate than myself. I know you don't care, but I want to future generations of Black & Hispanics doing well academically, so it decreases the chance of them becoming another statistic.

As far as I read, nobody in this thread is disagreeing with personal responsibility, they're just stating that having a group of people to back each other up and give support goes much further than people who try to things by themselves.

Old 03-17-2014, 10:03 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,250,362 times
More math less Lil Wayne.

More reading less Twerking.

It really is that simple folks.

Old 03-17-2014, 10:28 AM

1,418 posts, read 2,547,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakers4kb View Post

Yea thats exactly what I did when I read that post

Old 03-17-2014, 02:28 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,415,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njnyckid View Post
Yes, Nywriterdude, I know you would rather leave those who you deem unworthy or trash behind, but you know what, some people care because they understand that nobody is truly an island. As far as I'm concerned, it would be disgusting for me to think that because I'm smart, I'm too special to not offer any help or service that I can to those less fortunate than myself. I know you don't care, but I want to future generations of Black & Hispanics doing well academically, so it decreases the chance of them becoming another statistic.

As far as I read, nobody in this thread is disagreeing with personal responsibility, they're just stating that having a group of people to back each other up and give support goes much further than people who try to things by themselves.
AMEN to you my dude. I agree. I may have had it better then my fellow blacks and latino but one thing for sure I never look down on them.

Nothing better then speaking to a group of minorities and letting them know what the world has to offer.

I'm also proud of the fact that I was the main reason my friend from the north Bronx changed his life around from being a criminal gangster like his father to now being a future business owner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City