Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2014, 03:02 AM

8,572 posts, read 8,544,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennieboom View Post

It will be interesting to see the performance of Indo Caribbeans as opposed to Indians, because lately many Indo Caribbean descent here in NYC, particular Guyanese kids are acting like majority of blacks with the slangs, urban stylish wear and moving farther away from education.
!

This is true.

However its a fact that you can have a kid raised in the Caribbean who might do well. Bring the same kid here and all sorts of problems occur.

There is a whole vision of one's self that becomes radically transformed for the worst. Many black/Hispanic kids, including Caribbean kids who grow up in NYC, have a very limited notion of what their possibilities are, and so don't expend as much effort as they can to excel.

Maybe in the Caribbean they see more people who they can identify with excelling, and this is less so here.

Guyanese kids are slightly more likely to drop out than Jamaicans. If we assume that black Guyanese aren't different from Jamaicans, that means that Indo Guyanese have a problem. I do know that people from India look down on them.

Old 03-18-2014, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertee View Post

I don't know what your point is. This article basically says that it is more difficult for race to be used as the sole criteria for admittance, suggesting that fewer blacks and Hispanics are admitted solely because of their race.

You actually need to focus more on the fact that white kids get in with lower SATs than do Asians, as there are far more white students, and therefore a higher probability of them displacing Asians.

So why do you focus on the small (and diminishing) % of blacks/Hispanics at top colleges when they are not your biggest problem?

Old 03-18-2014, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I am not at all concerned about the future of the US. What will be, will be. If the USA goes down, then it goes down.

OK. It has been established that you are a self centered person as you aren't interested in anything unless it involves you.

But it will involve you if the USA ceases to be a competitive nation, unless you plan to migrate some where.

Old 03-18-2014, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertee View Post
Today’s wealthy Mormon businessmen often started from humble origins. Although India and China send the most immigrants to the United States through employment-based channels, almost half of all Indian immigrants and over half of Chinese immigrants do not enter the country under those criteria. Many are poor and poorly educated. Comprehensive data published by the Russell Sage Foundation in 2013 showed that the children of Chinese, Korean and Vietnamese immigrants experienced exceptional upward mobility regardless of their parents’ socioeconomic or educational background.

Did you read the article?

Admit what? Poverty is a factor? Sure it is. Poverty is not the ultimate factor that decides your faith and future? Of course it isn't! What makes you think every person deserves to be on Wall Street or Mount Sinai? Its competitive, space is limited, etc.

So you think Indians in Dubai are from an Indian slum?

I have read the article and analyses of many others who have also read it.

The vast majority of Indians arrive with college degree, arrive to go to college, or arrive with the ability to attend college when ever they chose. These are facts.

I will give her Chinese. While the parents will struggle as they have poor education, they invest lots in the kids who succeed.

Now we can look at many other Asians, like Cambodians, Hmongs and others. Not doing well at all, but we do know that most of them arrive quite poor and uneducated and end up in the under class.

I am not aware that Koreans who migrate represent the poorest groups in that nation either. There are loads f Vietnamese gang bangers in California. Not every one who migrated from Vietnam was poor, and indeed its likely that most weren't, as those who flee communism tend not to be.

When you can prove that sizeable numbers of Indians from the ghettoes of Calcutta are in NYC excelling then you will have a point. But to claim that just because some one came on a family reunification visa they must be poor is quite silly. Even many of the Indian guys who sell newspapers are well educated people, who just weren't able to find their niche within their profession in the USA.

Old 03-18-2014, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
I have seen very few cases where a city or country fails because it stops producing skilled workers, particularly in America. Usually it's because institutions collapse and/or there is a mass emigration of skilled workers. Biggest risk to NYC is if the skilled and talented either can no longer afford to live in the metro area or if their productivity is choked because of high COL (ie 1-hr commutes). But producing skilled workers? Consider that the affluent (for now) suburbs produce a lot of capable HS graduates but they cannot find opportunities in the suburbs they came from.

One of the biggest issues that corporations have is being able to import talent from Asia and Eastern Europe. Suppose that source dries up because those people can live well at home? Suppose those people become quite innovative and we lag because we don't have enough talent. South Korea has MORE engineers than the USA, even though they export and we IMPORT engineers.

While the demise of the USA mightn't come tomorrow it will come one day if we cant produce our own talent and rely on stealing others.

And yes civilizations go through cycles. Just look at Italy and Greece. Or even the UK. Shadows of their former selves. Do you think that the USA is immune? If it falls why do you think it might happen?

Old 03-18-2014, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
I already told you earlier in this thread that you couldn't out waltz a German.

You do realize that country music is more popular than hip hop in this country. But why not put it down? It is what makes you feel better about yourself after all.

How many German's waltz, and why should I care? I have absolutely NO interest in waltz.

Hip hop GLOBALLY is way more popular than country. And most folks into country cant even dance it. I have seen them.

Old 03-18-2014, 03:26 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,986,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
OK. It has been established that you are a self centered person as you aren't interested in anything unless it involves you.

But it will involve you if the USA ceases to be a competitive nation, unless you plan to migrate some where.
I have a passport ready if need be, and you do not need a visa to leave the US.

Again, it does not involve me if the USA ceases to be a competitive nation. I could leave if I felt the need to, or honestly I could stay. As long as I personally have the things I need, whether the US is competitive or not is not my concern.

Clearly one can be poor and homeless in a so called competitive nation, and one can be rich and living the fabulous life in a so called non competitive nation.

As far as businesses are concerned perhaps the US is becoming a competitive nation. Wages have dropped substantially for unskilled workers, (this includes some positions requiring a bachelors). That's actually competitive because businesses will lower costs where they can, and labor is always a big cost.

As money flows out of the US (because companies offshored and like cheap labor) and as technological and industrial advancement continues in China, India, Brazil, Russia, and other emerging markets, the US economy will never again be what it was in the 1950s.

Post WW2 the US had it made as Europe and Asia were wrecked post WW2, and Latin America and Africa had no notable industries. The US was the primary industrial country, and it exported manufacture goods around the world. Europe and Asia are rebuilt, and parts of Latin America are now industrialized. Investors are even entering African markets. In short, the US has become just another country.

It's going to get increasingly not worth it to immigrate to live in major American cities unless you're already rich. With working class immigrants being pushed out of desirable parts of Queens and Brooklyn, many are being pushed towards the worst neighborhoods. Enjoy being shot at in Brownsville!

Last edited by NyWriterdude; 03-18-2014 at 03:40 AM..

Old 03-18-2014, 03:32 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,986,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
How many German's waltz, and why should I care? I have absolutely NO interest in waltz.

Hip hop GLOBALLY is way more popular than country. And most folks into country cant even dance it. I have seen them.
Most of the major Black artists popular overseas are at least someone pop oriented. Beyonce, Rihanna, Farrell Williams, etc.

Pure Hip Hop isn't popular, and you usually have only a couple of hip hop artists that the music industry pushes to the masses in a big scale.

The RIAA listed the top genres of music by sale. Generally it goes back and forth between Rock, Country, and Pop, though some years Hip Hop is a contender.

Old 03-18-2014, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
good thoughts.
i start to wonder if many black/hispanic kids look down upon education.

Go to any country and you will see that where visible minorities feel that they have limited opportunities to excel they don't expend the effort. Arab kids in Paris are exactly like Puerto Rican kids in NYC, and yet Puerto Rican kids in PR itself are way more interested in education. This is evidenced by the greater % of Island PRs with college degrees than mainland raised PRs, even though college education is more available.

The challenge is to convince these kids and their parents that the opportunities do exist if they try. This is not 1950.

Don't over estimate the adoration that these kids have for entertainers. I was once a speaker in a class in one of those disgraces in the Bronx. I was supposed to talk to the kids about the importance of education. I decided to ask THEM what they wanted to do with their lives, instead of being the boring middle aged man talking down to them. I got answers like car mechanic, electrician, paralegal, nurse, etc. All professions within their capabilities, if they applied themselves. I was then able to tell them the role of maths, etc., if they wanted to enter those occupations.

These kids aren't as stupid as we think, and we are wasting what might be a valuable resource, unless we get them to change the way that they see the world, and away from instant gratification.

BTW not ONE of them said anything about careers in sports or entertainment!

Old 03-18-2014, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Shooting through the ball hoop is more fun. Better for them to exercise and not be fat. Physical fitness is important to one's health.

They can shoot hoop and beat the books. I know loads of people who did both. Indeed for the reason that you cited, they were often the better students. The book worms eventually burned out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City