Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2014, 06:13 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
that is the typical irresponsible citizenship you never fail to display through your posts. that explains all...
The future of the US does not rest on my shoulders, dude. I don't claim to know what it will be, I'm not a psychic.

Old 03-15-2014, 06:23 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,866,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
So lets say that the USA ceases to be a center of innovation because we don't produce enough people with STEM skills, and can no longer attracts those from overseas.

What happens to our economy, as we become a nation of Walmart workers importing products produced from scratch by Korean products? Even Facebook will have to relocate as they seek qualified people to hire.
I have seen very few cases where a city or country fails because it stops producing skilled workers, particularly in America. Usually it's because institutions collapse and/or there is a mass emigration of skilled workers. Biggest risk to NYC is if the skilled and talented either can no longer afford to live in the metro area or if their productivity is choked because of high COL (ie 1-hr commutes). But producing skilled workers? Consider that the affluent (for now) suburbs produce a lot of capable HS graduates but they cannot find opportunities in the suburbs they came from.

Old 03-15-2014, 06:23 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,317,052 times
Quote:
How many people in the USA of any race care anything about square dancing? I would dare to say that most white kids would sooner hang out in a hip hop club than one where they actually do the square dance.

Any case the square dance isn't hard to learn either. Come better than that. Try a waltz or something.
I already told you earlier in this thread that you couldn't out waltz a German.

You do realize that country music is more popular than hip hop in this country. But why not put it down? It is what makes you feel better about yourself after all.

Old 03-15-2014, 06:24 PM

5,125 posts, read 4,972,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
The future of the US does not rest on my shoulders, dude. I don't claim to know what it will be, I'm not a psychic.
You probably see no future in your own life, but you don't need to spill all that negativity to mislead on a public forum.

Old 03-15-2014, 06:27 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,317,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
As for the quota in media and sports, if you feel there's underrepresentation of Asians in those fields perhaps you should come up with a way to address that. But you and others on this thread claim to be super mathematicians, so perhaps the stereotypes of Asians perpetuated in this thread hinder their progress in media and sports. You won't do well in sports by studying in math (duh!) and people who work in media often have degrees in humanities, journalism, etc.
By having the masses concentrate on mathematics will result in a greater overall outcome then having them shoot a ball through a hoop over and over again.

Old 03-15-2014, 08:07 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,484,806 times
Purely speculating here, but I think young Black and Hispanic kids idolize rappers and sports/entertainment figures because those are the successful fields that have the most black/brown faces. Ball players, actors, and the like are so wildly successful, visible, and make so much money, it's easy for them to be the poster children for minority success. Whereas educated, professional minorities aren't as visible, aren't glamorized, and make considerably less. Obama is the President, but I'm sure he ranks below Kobe Bryant. It also doesn't help that many kids buy into the "minorities are good at sports and rap and not much else". What the kids don't realize is that rap takes a modicum of talent, as does sports, singing and acting. A majority of the kids do not have the talent, so they're gonna have to hit those books.

Old 03-15-2014, 08:17 PM

79 posts, read 435,014 times
Quote:
Are you really posting the long discredited piece of drivel by Amy Chua as evidence?

Aside from the Chinese all the immigrant groups mentioned consist of people who are disproportionately from upper middle class to elite backgrounds.

So why the shock that these people, who are well educated, and often well connected, do well when they arrive in the USA? With their kids doing even better.

Admit it. People from the slums of Mumbai end up in Dubai, if indeed they migrate. Not on Wall Street or Mount Sinai hospital. Its not being Indian alone which explains things. Its the particular qualities that Indian immigrants to the USA bring with them.

Indeed she cites Nigerians. That group, while consisting disproportionately of college educated people (over 60% with college degrees from a nation where just over 50% are NOMINALLY literate) has household earnings of only $57k, moderately higher than Jamaicans, just over 20% of whom are college graduates.

So what she is doing is attributing success to Nigerians merely because a disproportionate % who reach the USA are either already college educated, or arrive in the USA with the goal of attending college. They therefore already have the educational background to achieve this, in a nation where few have been able to.

When one compares different ethnic groups, one must adjust for the human capital that they possess at the time of immigration. Doing that will show that Nigerians are earning LESS than populations with a similar educational profile. An analysis of why this is the case will then be necessary before conclusions are drawn.

Indeed some one pointed out how well Indian immigrants network with each other, pooling information about opportunities and assisting each other up the ladder. Maybe Nigerians are more individualistic and so less able to confront the bias that they may face due to being black, foreign born, or being African. So maybe characteristics (arrogance) which she attributes to them might actually hold them back.

So Amy Chua is being very simplistic.
Yeah you're right. Nigerians tend to become nurses, work for the government, and take on other jobs that place them in the middle class. Also, from the 70's and onward when a lot Nigerians began immigrating to the United States, the United States immigration policy was very discriminatory, but one path that was easier than others was the student visa, so you had young Nigerians coming here to set up a life but getting educated in the process. I can't say with a reasonable degree of certainty why they self select for the jobs they do, but I think it is a result of them being Black. The individualism thing is far from the true though. Nigerians agglomerate in cities like NYC, Houston, and Atlanta and build huge and substantial social networks. However, I anticipate that as time progresses the demographic of the current and future generations will change (more professionals).

Old 03-15-2014, 08:27 PM

1,521 posts, read 1,817,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakers4kb View Post
Googled it, but couldn't find a reputable source. Would you be able to provide the forum with such? Or go into more detail as to what you're implying(if you're implying anything)?
Try harder

Old 03-15-2014, 08:29 PM

5,125 posts, read 4,972,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Purely speculating here, but I think young Black and Hispanic kids idolize rappers and sports/entertainment figures because those are the successful fields that have the most black/brown faces. Ball players, actors, and the like are so wildly successful, visible, and make so much money, it's easy for them to be the poster children for minority success. Whereas educated, professional minorities aren't as visible, aren't glamorized, and make considerably less. Obama is the President, but I'm sure he ranks below Kobe Bryant. It also doesn't help that many kids buy into the "minorities are good at sports and rap and not much else". What the kids don't realize is that rap takes a modicum of talent, as does sports, singing and acting. A majority of the kids do not have the talent, so they're gonna have to hit those books.
good thoughts.
i start to wonder if many black/hispanic kids look down upon education....from i what i observe/hear, "nerds" are not a popular figure in their world and probably are often the targets of the bullies, therefore creating a fearful environment to discourage kids who might be interested in studying. taken together with the anti-education attitude that nyritedude has been trying desperately to promote on this forum, i believe my speculation is hitting the root or one of the roots of the phenomenon.

can you imagine what would happen to Jose when his next door neighbor a big mouth ritedude would come to argue that there is no point of studying, and no big difference if jose works as a plumber or a dentist.

Old 03-15-2014, 10:06 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
good thoughts.
i start to wonder if many black/hispanic kids look down upon education....from i what i observe/hear, "nerds" are not a popular figure in their world and probably are often the targets of the bullies, therefore creating a fearful environment to discourage kids who might be interested in studying. taken together with the anti-education attitude that nyritedude has been trying desperately to promote on this forum, i believe my speculation is hitting the root or one of the roots of the phenomenon.

can you imagine what would happen to Jose when his next door neighbor a big mouth ritedude would come to argue that there is no point of studying, and no big difference if jose works as a plumber or a dentist.
I've had many black friends that were somewhat nerdy and yes they get picked on more than other races because blacks look at nerds, geeks, and gays the same way. The believe males should all be macho and strong. They all grow up looking up to male athletes as the benchmark of what black males should be but in the real world not everybody get to be pro athletes only a few and even they have to go through an education system in order to get where they are.

What some people speculated is that education system in general is training program to keep the middle class where they are become the working class. You are taught the skills to do a job but not taught the skills to become thinkers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City