Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2014, 04:30 PM

2,678 posts, read 1,700,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blkwrt View Post
It's annoying and offensive to keep seeing the posters jump to conclusions that all black people are poor, single parents, jail, projects, Jordans, etc. But if that fantasy makes them feel better about the state of their own lives, fine.
I'm not surprised at all.

I understand why some racists may feel the way they do.

But that doesn't mean I AGREE with them... AT ALL.

and blacks who openly agree with them are just as SILLY and STUPID as the people who believe these stereotypes.

A few pages back someone said you will find welfare mothers in the projects like Mary from Precious who (in the movie) allowed who allowed her daughter to be raped by her father while she sits outside of the room smoking a cigarette.

My blood curled and boiled reading this.

This is NOT TRUE.

I'm not surprised that these posters will believe anything negative about black people.

Old 03-14-2014, 04:40 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vescuzzi View Post
Asian Americans as a group have higher median incomes than any other group. Using outliers like how many millionaires there are is strange. It is comically ironic how you spend so much time deriding basic knowledge of statistics and then unwittingly demonstrate the unfortunate consequences of the ignorance you celebrate.
It's also comical how you message me asking me for advice about going to Columbia Dental School and NYU Dental School for Dental Care. (My reply was you claim to know everything, figure it out for yourself). Why can't you use your superior knowledge of stats to earn a lot of money and go to a top private dentist?

Of course, after I basically told this person to figure out how to obtain his dental care himself (should be easy), he tells me not to take things personally. Reread your post, dude.

Now why on earth would I give advice to someone who says the above?

Old 03-14-2014, 04:43 PM

2,678 posts, read 1,700,899 times
Quote:

The real problem that should be addressed is why Blacks and Latinos are not performing as well on the test as other groups. The schools are a smashing success and send of droves of kids each year to our Nation's most selective universities. We should be facilitating wider participation in a system we know already works instead of trying to lower the bar and alter the system to accommodate certain groups.

I would also like to add The Brooklyn Latin School and Bronx Science High School have Black and Latino populations that are more representative of the Black and Latino population (percentage wise) as a whole. That seems really interesting to me and i wonder why people never focus on those kind of question. I imagine it may have something to do with the neighborhoods the schools are situated in (the Bronx and Bushwick) and maybe other groups not feeling as comfortable sending their children there.
I agree but under performance is linked to poverty plain and simple.

Old 03-14-2014, 04:51 PM

1,418 posts, read 2,546,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
What special scholarships do AA's get and why wasn't I made aware of them? When I went to Cornell, all I did was fill out the same FAFSA and the same financial aid forms at Cornell that people of all races filled out. There were no special scholarships for African Americans or Hispanics. NONE. I probably would have applied to them had they EXISTED, but isn't any special fund that's going to cover AA's or Hispanics at a private university costing upward $200k for a bachelors. I certainly had to put up my share of money and work, and money from my family as well.

I challenge to you show me evidence that there are all these scholarships that specifically fund AAs and Hispanics at general universities or colleges (Historically Black Colleges in the South might be a different matter).

Many African Americans and Hispanics are stationed in the military and have gone to wherever the US has wars or military missions. Vietnam, Iraq, Afghanistan, Panama, etc.

Many Blacks and Hispanics do indeed vacation or otherwise go on extended stays (sometimes with family or friends ) to various places in Mexico, Central America, or South America. Even the ones who have been here multigenerationally. And as I said in a city like NYC half the people (including many Blacks and Hispanics) were born in other countries.

It seems like you like to repeat lame stereotypes just for the sake of hearing yourself talk.

If it is true that more Indians do well in school than more Blacks and Hispanics, so the hell what? Do you want a gold medal for it? If you worked your way out of the slum from India, be happy you did and be grateful you aren't still stuck there. There's absolutely no reason for you to worry about what someone else is doing. There's no reason for you to pass judgment on anyone. I don't claim to have magical answers for what other people need to do, and despite your claims to have them, neither do you.

Be greatful you aren't stuck in some slum in the Caribbean either. You have a computer; use google to help yourself. I am not passing judgement on anyone....but lowering standards is not the solution. It will make the problems worse. Im complaining because all I hear about is AA and Hispanics bitching about this and that. The media pays attention. Do you think Asians would receive the same help and attention? NO.

And you can keep on making up stuff that I never stated. So, if you want to add BS to your arguements to strengthen them, then by all means go ahead. But I don't understnad why you are getting upset. This issue requires debate. The more you look into it, the issue is not about Asians versus AA/hispanics.

Considering you have an Ivy league education I'm surprised you missed some of this information available on the web. Here you go..

http://www.mindingthecampus.com/orig...es_asians.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Achieve...chievement_gap

http://www.schoolsoup.com/scholarshi...ican-american/

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/02/ed...cess.html?_r=0

http://www.finaid.org/scholarships/2...holarships.pdf

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/...colleges_x.htm

When I went to BK Tech, many of my classmates were AA and Hispanics. Whites were the minority fyi

Last edited by Mistertee; 03-14-2014 at 05:14 PM..

Old 03-14-2014, 04:55 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,478,210 times
Quote:
I agree with everything you said here and later on in this thread. I feel like your daughter is lucky to have you as a parent. One thing you made me consider was the difference in the material on the SHSAT and the 7th grade Regents, particularly in the Math section (it seems this is where deviation is widest between those who get in and those who don't). I just looked through the SHSAT and it deals with more complex algebra, geometry, and trigonometry while the Regents touches on those subjects at a much more basic level. Yet schools like Townsend Harris use the Regents, GPA, and attendance for admission criteria and are able to provide quality education. It's hard to know if there is a benefit to testing more advanced subject matter on the SHSAT (simulating the rigorous nature of the Specialized High Schools to select for student who can handle the workload, an additional filter to get the best of the best, allowing for more advanced instruction in high school, propping up the test prep and outside tutoring industry) but it's something to think about.
Thanks for the props. We try our best!! I came home one night and noticed that she received a 75 on her math work. This is a girl who normally gets 90 and above. When I examined the schoolwork it appeared that she was getting hung up on a particular concept. The next day I wrote all of the problems again and had her do them without intervention. She got the same ones wrong. So on the weekend, we spent some time going over the concept until she was able to consistently get the problems right. This of course took away from her playtime and she whined the whole time.. It's good that we did that bc already her teacher had moved on past the point where she was stuck and then she would fall behind. In my former junior high, which used to be a great school, most of the people who were admitted into the specialized schools were from TAG programs since the gifted classes covered more advanced subjects. I found that The regular curriculum just wasn't enough, so if you really wanted to go to the special schools you had to get assistance externally. I like that you gave a shoutout to the second tier schools, which are excellent choices as well. Manhattan center is a minority majority school in Harlem that is overlooked. It, along with Townsend Harris, in my book are just below the elite schools.

Old 03-14-2014, 04:59 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertee View Post
Be greatful you aren't stuck in some slum in the Caribbean either. You have a computer; use google to help yourself. I am not passing judgement on anyone....but lowering standards is not the solution. It will make the problems worse. Im complaining...because all I hear about is AA and Hispanics bitching about this and that. Do you think if Asian would receive the same help? I doubt it.

And you can keep on making up stuff that I never stated. So, if you want to add BS to your arguements to strengthen them, then by all means go ahead.
I wouldn't mind much about being on a Caribbean Island, even in a slum, if I was close to the beach. I love swimming. I'm not the one whose desperate to say he made it into mainstream America.

So you're apparently jealous about help you allege AA and Hispanics are receiving (which I personally never received and which doesn't really exist). Your education didn't seem to do you that much good if you're this jaded, washed up, and bitter.

Old 03-14-2014, 05:26 PM

1,418 posts, read 2,546,986 times
Quote:
I wouldn't mind much about being on a Caribbean Island, even in a slum, if I was close to the beach. I love swimming. I'm not the one whose desperate to say he made it into mainstream America.

So you're apparently jealous about help you allege AA and Hispanics are receiving (which I personally never received and which doesn't really exist). Your education didn't seem to do you that much good if you're this jaded, washed up, and bitter.

I am not desperate. I was trying to give some background information regarding my upbringing. Your thoughts on how you wouldn't mind living in a slum if it was close to a beach, reveals why you are an idiot. You are quick to choose such a location based on momentary pleasures, ignoring the violence and crime that you would inevitably face.

Im not jealous either. I am annoyed and think its unfair, when many ppl regardless of color face the same issues. If you think my education makes me seem jaded, washed up and bitter....then maybe Asians like me should get more help. Don't you agree? I see your "Ivy league education" did wonders for you

Last edited by Mistertee; 03-14-2014 at 05:53 PM..

Old 03-14-2014, 08:32 PM

79 posts, read 434,979 times
Quote:
It's also comical how you message me asking me for advice about going to Columbia Dental School and NYU Dental School for Dental Care. (My reply was you claim to know everything, figure it out for yourself). Why can't you use your superior knowledge of stats to earn a lot of money and go to a top private dentist?

Of course, after I basically told this person to figure out how to obtain his dental care himself (should be easy), he tells me not to take things personally. Reread your post, dude.

Now why on earth would I give advice to someone who says the above?
I said the above well after you gave me that hostile response and acted so pigheaded. I see you still mad though. Obviously I will do research, what do you think me asking you for your opinion is? Did you think airing that out would embarrass me or something? I'll repeat it again, don't take it so personal when people disagree with you. Instead of being so dismissive and quick to resort to ad hominem attacks, try to engage with reason.

Old 03-14-2014, 09:22 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,618,418 times
At the end of the day....NOBODY really wants to hear about the problems of black people. Many will cover up the downplay and try to completely cover up the facts that clearly exist. As an educated white collar black male I don't expect anyone to feel sorry for me. But, I have noticed that when issues like the education gap or black men being incarcerated comes up....people start to really get upset. No one really wants to hear the truth about things like this. It interrupts the vision that they have in their heads. Nothing wrong with this. I just wish people would just admit it and stop trying to downplay reality.

As a former public school educator and now college professor I must say that 3 things are keeping black youth from leveling the playing field when it comes to education.

(1) lack of parental support

(2) lack of educational resources in early years (elementary/middle)

(3) less focus on education/career and more on entertainment..sports...etc.

Old 03-14-2014, 11:08 PM

1,521 posts, read 1,816,904 times
Everyone always talks about environment, poverty, culture, but let's not forget IQ (race and intelligence). Google it if you are interested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City