Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2014, 11:01 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,320,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
The future of the US does not rest on my shoulders, dude. I don't claim to know what it will be, I'm not a psychic.
Phew

Old 03-15-2014, 11:36 PM

19 posts, read 38,441 times
As a Afro Caribbean guy, living in the city for a couple of years now i really wanna say

who are these black and latino apologists trying to fool?

Majority of the kids are under performing because they are not pushed by their parents to do well, there is a total breakdown in values and PRIORITIES. Some of them have the latest clothes, hottest weaves and are always in with the in crowd...on the train they are loud and ghetto coming from school because they are not tired in the least bit. I remember when i went to school and coming back from school i was tired because i studied. These kids have all the energy in the world to carry on with STUPIDITY.

Some of the black kids do well, but they are in the minority, those that do well don't usually hang out in a big groups of blacks. Also, they are more than likely kids of caribbean or african immigrants who force them to try to stand out and do well.

NYWriterdude shows us why Blacks underperform in academia, you heard his comment? he said "he does not care how black kids perform in school" if that is your group of people how could you not care?

The black community is inherently weak because there is no collective grouping among the race, its all individual mentality. thats why the black race is at the bottom of the economics, business and entrepreneurship totem pole.

It will be interesting to see the performance of Indo Caribbeans as opposed to Indians, because lately many Indo Caribbean descent here in NYC, particular Guyanese kids are acting like majority of blacks with the slangs, urban stylish wear and moving farther away from education.

As long as the media keeps lauding blacks for their physical prowess, like singing, dancing, basketball, football etc i dont see things changing especially for black men as most of them wanna be the next Lebron, Lil Wayne or Jay Z...while nothing is wrong with attaining success for physical prowess, there can only be so much Lebrons!

Old 03-16-2014, 12:36 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,986,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennieboom View Post
NYWriterdude shows us why Blacks underperform in academia, you heard his comment? he said "he does not care how black kids perform in school" if that is your group of people how could you not care?

The black community is inherently weak because there is no collective grouping among the race, its all individual mentality. thats why the black race is at the bottom of the economics, business and entrepreneurship totem pole.

It will be interesting to see the performance of Indo Caribbeans as opposed to Indians, because lately many Indo Caribbean descent here in NYC, particular Guyanese kids are acting like majority of blacks with the slangs, urban stylish wear and moving farther away from education.

As long as the media keeps lauding blacks for their physical prowess, like singing, dancing, basketball, football etc i dont see things changing especially for black men as most of them wanna be the next Lebron, Lil Wayne or Jay Z...while nothing is wrong with attaining success for physical prowess, there can only be so much Lebrons!
I graduated from Cornell, dude. Many of the people I know who graduated from top schools are struggling with debt. And they are of all races. There was an occupy wall street, among certain other movements because many recent graduates aren't doing well. Entry level jobs often don't pay well, and in many cases in order to break into certain fields you'll need to work in that field for free. It's called interning. And for that, you'll need wealthy parents to support you.

There are comparatively few jobs that pay well, period. I gave the situation with the medical schools as an example. The AMA restricts the number of slots in medical schools and the number of medical schools itself in order to reduce competition.

I am not responsible for how Black people perform academically. Whatever your race, you show your racist colors by implying I am. However they perform academically, they were performing that way before I was born and will be performing that way after I'm dead. Again, not really a concern of mine.

Old 03-16-2014, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
You probably see no future in your own life, but you don't need to spill all that negativity to mislead on a public forum.
Or I should actually tell the truth. Being educated doesn't mean you'll make a lot of money, and it's not just about my life or just about the lives of Blacks or Hispanics.

Old 03-16-2014, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
I have seen very few cases where a city or country fails because it stops producing skilled workers, particularly in America. Usually it's because institutions collapse and/or there is a mass emigration of skilled workers. Biggest risk to NYC is if the skilled and talented either can no longer afford to live in the metro area or if their productivity is choked because of high COL (ie 1-hr commutes). But producing skilled workers? Consider that the affluent (for now) suburbs produce a lot of capable HS graduates but they cannot find opportunities in the suburbs they came from.
Yes. Many recent graduates from colleges cannot afford to stay in NYC, so unless they have parents to live with their only other option is to live with 6 other people in Williamsburg. It's a really terrible situation to live in and yes I have indeed known STEM graduates themselves to live poorly like that.

In any area close to Manhattan below 96th Street, (including Western Brooklyn and Western Queens) you need to make well into the six digits in order to live comfortably by yourself. And if an "educated person" wants to have children and send them to private schools (and not have to deal with crappy public schools) the costs go up even more. Depending on where the kids private school is they may need a car to drive them there. The costs of this lifestyle are such at the low end of the six digits, 100k, is NOTHING. Ditto for living in other major cities. An educated person in order to survive would have to endure a horrific commute from the suburbs or live in a ghetto (but what schools would they send the children to) in order to semi survive unless he/she was one of the one's to get one of the TOP jobs in that city.

Old 03-16-2014, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
By having the masses concentrate on mathematics will result in a greater overall outcome then having them shoot a ball through a hoop over and over again.
Shooting through the ball hoop is more fun. Better for them to exercise and not be fat. Physical fitness is important to one's health.

Old 03-16-2014, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Purely speculating here, but I think young Black and Hispanic kids idolize rappers and sports/entertainment figures because those are the successful fields that have the most black/brown faces. Ball players, actors, and the like are so wildly successful, visible, and make so much money, it's easy for them to be the poster children for minority success. Whereas educated, professional minorities aren't as visible, aren't glamorized, and make considerably less. Obama is the President, but I'm sure he ranks below Kobe Bryant. It also doesn't help that many kids buy into the "minorities are good at sports and rap and not much else". What the kids don't realize is that rap takes a modicum of talent, as does sports, singing and acting. A majority of the kids do not have the talent, so they're gonna have to hit those books.
Everyone has seen "minority professionals". The key point is clearly they make FAR less. It's a fantasy, so if you fantasy about something who is going to dream about being a nurse when they could dream of being a millionaire in show business? That doesn't mean the show business career will happen, but dealing from a pure fantasy viewpoint, yes, being in the entertainment business is a much better fantasy than many so called professional jobs.

I have friends who are professionals who are well over the age of 30 and still living with roommates in big cities like NYC and LA. They don't make that much money over working class people.

Keep in mind Blacks and Hispanics know the system. This is the city where people who know how to exploit welfare can have a minimum wage job, yet get free housing, medical care, etc. All this while they do know professional people with degrees who are struggling. I personally know people who deliberately kept and maintained minimum wage jobs (in a couple of cases they had degrees and one even had a masters degree) all so they could keep the government benefits.

In a city like NYC, you need to either be rich, or poor enough to get welfare. No one gives a damn about your education and certainly not the real estate industry. The very concept of the middle class has largely fled NYC. And LA.

And let's talk about benefits (one excuse some people use is not getting rid of welfare is they don't want to get rid of their medical benefits). Obviously wealthy people like executives and entertainers have excellent benefits, including pensions. Many private sector jobs in NYC have slaughtered their retirement benefits (pensions are rare in lower level private sector jobs). The only jobs for people who aren't wealthy that offer good benefits are union jobs, most of whom are public sector.

Last edited by NyWriterdude; 03-16-2014 at 01:26 AM..

Old 03-16-2014, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
I already told you earlier in this thread that you couldn't out waltz a German.

You do realize that country music is more popular than hip hop in this country. But why not put it down? It is what makes you feel better about yourself after all.
According to this RIAA document, Rock has the greatest sales in the USA. Hip-Hop is number 2, and country is number 3.

http://76.74.24.142/44510E63-7B5E-5F...9B51EDCE0F.pdf This was as of 2007.

2011 had similar results, Rock was most popular, country was number 2, and pop was number 3.

http://76.74.24.142/840B4805-1853-1A...4EC741F7AF.pdf

In 2012, Country was the most popular music, with Classic Rock number 2, and Pop Number 3. So I guess what music is most popular varies from year to year.

Old 03-16-2014, 02:04 AM

6,836 posts, read 15,415,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennieboom View Post
As a Afro Caribbean guy, living in the city for a couple of years now i really wanna say

who are these black and latino apologists trying to fool?

Majority of the kids are under performing because they are not pushed by their parents to do well, there is a total breakdown in values and PRIORITIES. Some of them have the latest clothes, hottest weaves and are always in with the in crowd...on the train they are loud and ghetto coming from school because they are not tired in the least bit. I remember when i went to school and coming back from school i was tired because i studied. These kids have all the energy in the world to carry on with STUPIDITY.

Some of the black kids do well, but they are in the minority, those that do well don't usually hang out in a big groups of blacks. Also, they are more than likely kids of caribbean or african immigrants who force them to try to stand out and do well.

This is for the most part true.

Old 03-16-2014, 02:06 AM

6,836 posts, read 15,415,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
According to this RIAA document, Rock has the greatest sales in the USA. Hip-Hop is number 2, and country is number 3.

http://76.74.24.142/44510E63-7B5E-5F...9B51EDCE0F.pdf This was as of 2007.

2011 had similar results, Rock was most popular, country was number 2, and pop was number 3.

http://76.74.24.142/840B4805-1853-1A...4EC741F7AF.pdf

In 2012, Country was the most popular music, with Classic Rock number 2, and Pop Number 3. So I guess what music is most popular varies from year to year.
Hil hop sales would be higher then the records show. Hip hop is heavily boot legged. Rock and country not in the same situations unless they have their own black market which I'm unaware of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City