Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2014, 05:43 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,544,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertee View Post
Many Indians from humble backgrounds go on to become leaders in their respective fields. The problem is American media tends to dumb ppl down. It wil only focus on what it deems is appropriate or newsworthy. Your point about the disproportionate % is not accurate.

Here is a link proving my point...

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/26/op...cess.html?_r=0

There are too many generalizations going around.....

Are you really posting the long discredited piece of drivel by Amy Chua as evidence?

Aside from the Chinese all the immigrant groups mentioned consist of people who are disproportionately from upper middle class to elite backgrounds.

So why the shock that these people, who are well educated, and often well connected, do well when they arrive in the USA? With their kids doing even better.

Admit it. People from the slums of Mumbai end up in Dubai, if indeed they migrate. Not on Wall Street or Mount Sinai hospital. Its not being Indian alone which explains things. Its the particular qualities that Indian immigrants to the USA bring with them.

Indeed she cites Nigerians. That group, while consisting disproportionately of college educated people (over 60% with college degrees from a nation where just over 50% are NOMINALLY literate) has household earnings of only $57k, moderately higher than Jamaicans, just over 20% of whom are college graduates.

So what she is doing is attributing success to Nigerians merely because a disproportionate % who reach the USA are either already college educated, or arrive in the USA with the goal of attending college. They therefore already have the educational background to achieve this, in a nation where few have been able to.

When one compares different ethnic groups, one must adjust for the human capital that they possess at the time of immigration. Doing that will show that Nigerians are earning LESS than populations with a similar educational profile. An analysis of why this is the case will then be necessary before conclusions are drawn.

Indeed some one pointed out how well Indian immigrants network with each other, pooling information about opportunities and assisting each other up the ladder. Maybe Nigerians are more individualistic and so less able to confront the bias that they may face due to being black, foreign born, or being African. So maybe characteristics (arrogance) which she attributes to them might actually hold them back.

So Amy Chua is being very simplistic.

Last edited by caribny; 03-15-2014 at 05:55 PM..

Old 03-15-2014, 05:49 PM

1,418 posts, read 2,547,956 times
California Colleges Mull Return of Affirmative Action | NBC Southern California

Old 03-15-2014, 05:49 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,986,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Societies are composed of individuals. This means that when large numbers of individuals fail, then so too does society eventually. Which means that life becomes harder for many individuals.

So lets say that the USA ceases to be a center of innovation because we don't produce enough people with STEM skills, and can no longer attracts those from overseas.

What happens to our economy, as we become a nation of Walmart workers importing products produced from scratch by Korean products? Even Facebook will have to relocate as they seek qualified people to hire.

So you ought to be concerned if a society doesn't produce enough talent, even if you don't care about the fortunes of each individual. No man is an island. Something that my father used to tell me all the time when he thought that I didn't understand the need to be connected to productive social communities, and that that I could do every thing on my own.

The biggest crisis that will hit healthcare in the USA is when the existing generation of primary care physicians retire. Who is going to replace them? Will we have to depend on nurses to take care of us? But then many of the more skilled nurses are also retiring too!
I am not at all concerned about the future of the US. What will be, will be. If the USA goes down, then it goes down.

Old 03-15-2014, 05:54 PM

Quote:
You are assuming I left a third world country. I was born and raised in NYC. I went back to live in a 3rd world country for 3 yrs as a single adult and also enjoyed the experience. But there are issues that would make me reconsider if I had a family to raise. I was trying to make a point, that's it. If the Caribbean is so great, why won't you leave yesterday? Keep your opinions to yourself and stick to the thread. I could give a **** about your experiences in Haiti. Either back up your statements about the thread topic or ****. I gave numeorus links to support my claims, how about you focus on the topic instead of focusing on my personal life?

The point is this an issue that affects all ppl not just AA or hispanics. Competition is here to stay, get used to it. Why should all taxpayers foot the bill for certain minorities only? If there is a quota and special considerations for AA and hispanics in education, then how about the same for Asians and others in media and sports? How about their parents take some responsibilty. When ppl try to expose the issues facing Asians in America, nobody wants to listen. As soon as its about AA or Hispanics, the media throws extensive coverage behind it.
And I chose to ignore your claims and your links. Yawn!

I've never met any Black or Hispanic person who got an education paid for because of their race.

As for the quota in media and sports, if you feel there's underrepresentation of Asians in those fields perhaps you should come up with a way to address that. But you and others on this thread claim to be super mathematicians, so perhaps the stereotypes of Asians perpetuated in this thread hinder their progress in media and sports. You won't do well in sports by studying in math (duh!) and people who work in media often have degrees in humanities, journalism, etc.

Old 03-15-2014, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Are you really posting the long discredited piece of drivel by Amy Chua as evidence?

Aside from the Chinese all the immigrant groups mentioned consist of people who are disproportionately from upper middle class to elite backgrounds.

So why the shock that these people who are well educated, and often well connected, do well when they arrive in the USA?

Admit it. People from the slums of Mumbai end up in Dubai, if indeed they migrate. Not on Wall Street or Mount Sinai hospital.

Today’s wealthy Mormon businessmen often started from humble origins. Although India and China send the most immigrants to the United States through employment-based channels, almost half of all Indian immigrants and over half of Chinese immigrants do not enter the country under those criteria. Many are poor and poorly educated. Comprehensive data published by the Russell Sage Foundation in 2013 showed that the children of Chinese, Korean and Vietnamese immigrants experienced exceptional upward mobility regardless of their parents’ socioeconomic or educational background.

Did you read the article?

Admit what? Poverty is a factor? Sure it is. Poverty is not the ultimate factor that decides your faith and future? Of course it isn't! What makes you think every person deserves to be on Wall Street or Mount Sinai? Its competitive, space is limited, etc.

So you think Indians in Dubai are from an Indian slum?

Last edited by Mistertee; 03-15-2014 at 06:08 PM..

Old 03-15-2014, 05:59 PM

5,145 posts, read 4,976,546 times
At individual level, you are right to certain extent, finding a job is a major motivation of education. but in cultures that value education, going through education is also a prestige thing not solely for job purpose.

At the national/societal level, education is the main approach to enhance citizenship and civilization, and this is easily supported by a positive correlation between the level of education of a country with its civilization status. Just compare the western european countries with african countries; or within asia, you can see this correlation easily between japan/singapor and india/china.

so please reconsider your position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilksFavoriteCookie View Post
The point of education is to find a job. Been that way for years even during the hippy era of your grandparents, parents, children. College equals success in life cause it opens the door to more financial beneficial opportunities aka above minimum wage jobs.

College was NEVER intended to advance human civilization or whatever crap you are spewing. We have actual professional organizations for that and going by your standards, USA is failing in every category except military might and finance. College was about jobs first dude. When hippies and women came into the picture college all of a sudden transitioned into becoming more liberal, freedom of expression, and learning BS degrees as you "experiment". The only difference between then and now is that employers hired you whatever degree you had cause college meant you were elite. It was just good enough that you went.

The reason wealthy send their kids to top Universities is because of the opportunities at those institutions. Not so their kid can go major in Medieval Women, write a revolutionary law for congress, and smash drunk girls. What happens at HPY, unlike other universities, is that you could major in English and get a 6 figure job in Finance or anything...If you can't understand that difference you are not only delusional, but gullible. Rich protect their investments by investing in their young. At top tier Universities, it literally is a fail safe win win situation regardless what their child majors in because the undergraduate programs (core classes) sets the foundation for them to learn anything and employers know this. That's why a Law student from Harvard can get into asset management easily while a Law student from NYU can't.

Advance civilization if we were in Tokyo, or Europe...only thing we excel at is Money and Bullets. As for medical no we don't because we buy our doctors from overseas with ahem Money, the only real thing we're good at. By the way for all our redundant i-pod products which are really only popular in America, overall, Germans dominant the engineering scene.

Old 03-15-2014, 06:01 PM

[quote=NyWriterdude;33881421]Dude, you're so full of BS you need a wastewater permit. I am not anti math knowledge. You, and some other people here are claiming everyone needs to be experts in math. Clearly that's not the case. [/quote

Dumping it all on you is all I need, no permit of any sort required....

Old 03-15-2014, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
And I chose to ignore your claims and your links. Yawn!

I've never met any Black or Hispanic person who got an education paid for because of their race.

As for the quota in media and sports, if you feel there's underrepresentation of Asians in those fields perhaps you should come up with a way to address that. But you and others on this thread claim to be super mathematicians, so perhaps the stereotypes of Asians perpetuated in this thread hinder their progress in media and sports. You won't do well in sports by studying in math (duh!) and people who work in media often have degrees in humanities, journalism, etc.

"Truth will always be truth, regardless of lack of understanding, disbelief or ignorance."

You ask for links to back up my claims. I post a few links, and you choose to ignore it? You and others are only hurting yourself by ignoring all points, whether you agree or disagree.

Maybe you should re read my posts....I never talked about Math. That was a sterotype perpetuated by others, not in line with my argument.

How many ppl do you know? Do you ask everyone you know how their education was paid for? Do you think it's a topic that ppl like to talk about?

Regarding the issue of underrepresentation of Asians in such fields, maybe its an issue that the media should pick up on.

You think Eminem was the first white rapper who could rap? Or was he the first white rapper given acceptance?

Last edited by Mistertee; 03-15-2014 at 06:17 PM..

Old 03-15-2014, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I am not at all concerned about the future of the US. What will be, will be. If the USA goes down, then it goes down.

that is the typical irresponsible citizenship you never fail to display through your posts. that explains all...

Old 03-15-2014, 06:12 PM

Quote:
"Truth will always be truth, regardless of lack of understanding, disbelief or ignorance."

Maybe you should re read my posts....I never talked about Math. That was a sterotype perpetuated by others, not in line with my arguement.

How many ppl do you know? Do you ask everyone you know how their education was paid for? Do you think it's a topic that ppl like to talk about?

Regarding the issue of underrepresentation of Asians in such fields, maybe its an issue that the media should pick up on.

You think Eminem was the first white rapper who could rap? Or was he the first white rapper given acceptance?
Obviously I don't know everyone. You made it seem though there's all this money that's just thrown at Blacks and Hispanics so they can just go to whatever college they want to and not have to worry about anything. And that's BS.

Regarding the underrepresentation of Asians in media, it's something the media isn't going to report unless activists force the issue. You might contact various activist organizations that deal with this matter, as well as various media organizations.

Last edited by NyWriterdude; 03-15-2014 at 06:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City