Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 09:57 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,162,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post

There are fears more poor immigrants will be pushed out of the neighborhood (thoughts)?
I think this is an example of small-minded thinking. There are business owners who understand that making the area more pleasant will allow them to attract better and more customers. And the businesses can grow with those new opportunities.

Then there seem to be other, scared business owners who think that keeping the area seedy and ugly will somehow be better for them because it will keep their rent lower. Perhaps an ugly, seedy looking area would have lower rents. But why can't these businesses see it as an opportunity to grow and become better?

There are precedents with other BIDS where areas became better and immigrant owned mom and pop businesses thrived. See below for the FAQ from the BID itself addressing these issues:

1. Will the BID displace immigrant businesses and bring in chain stores that are able to afford higher rents?

No. Making Roosevelt Avenue safer and cleaner will attract more customers. Too many of our local residents feel like they have to leave our community to shop in a safe and pleasant environment. And local business owners that are part of Business Improvement Districts in immigrant neighborhoods such as Washington Heights, Brooklyn’s Myrtle Avenue, Main Street in Flushing, and Fordham Rd in the Bronx have seen how cleaner, safer streets help immigrant and mom-and-pop shops thrive there

2. Is the BID anti-immigrant? Anti-small business?

No. We want a cleaner and safer Roosevelt Ave that will allow our businesses to thrive. In fact, organizing together in a Business Improvement District gives smaller businesses the power to compete with the big malls and box stores. If we work together we can do more–no individual business can always afford to hire an extra person to clean up the street or put a new streetlight–but together we can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2014, 10:06 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,419,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
That's called breathing. Inflation is one of things in the same bucket as death & taxation

Ok, if you say so. I think you're just making an excuse to justify it tho,
because you didn't answer yes or no.

Old 03-14-2014, 10:14 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,880,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
I think all these developers are putting this country in deeper debt as well as the people who work to pay for all the condos they're building. I wonder if they're really turning a profit at the end of the day
for spending all these billions of dollars to displace former residents and gentrify everything, or is it
just another scam, money-pit bubble. When will people wake up? There's nothing wrong with rebuilding unless it is just too expensive to afford.
There's not a lot of new developments in Jackson Hts. Maybe Woodside but not JH. Too many barriers to new construction given the area has landmark status.

What is making it harder to afford is precisely the absence of development - not a lot of housing stock to meet demand.

Old 03-14-2014, 10:14 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,333,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
1. Will the BID displace immigrant businesses and bring in chain stores that are able to afford higher rents?

No. Making Roosevelt Avenue safer and cleaner will attract more customers. Too many of our local residents feel like they have to leave our community to shop in a safe and pleasant environment. And local business owners that are part of Business Improvement Districts in immigrant neighborhoods such as Washington Heights, Brooklyn’s Myrtle Avenue, Main Street in Flushing, and Fordham Rd in the Bronx have seen how cleaner, safer streets help immigrant and mom-and-pop shops thrive there
The Myrtle Ave BID that caters to immigrants would be in Queens. The Brooklyn one more so caters to blacks and whites that have been in this country for generations. There is also one on Jamaica Ave in Woodhaven that caters to a mostly immigrant population as well. The Graham ave BID in Williamsburg used to probably cater to immigrants (or at least 2nd or 3rd generation PRs, but not sure that is still the case, but believe it still is for the most part).

Old 03-14-2014, 10:16 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,880,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post

I think they should clean up Junction Blvd. That street has a lot of potential.

Now that 37th is a pleasant area and with Junction cleaned up, Roosevelt will improve on its own.

Old 03-14-2014, 10:16 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,751,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
Ok, if you say so. I think you're just making an excuse to justify it tho,
because you didn't answer yes or no.
You can't get in the way of development because you think it's going to raise prices for everyone. Development follows demand. If people are willing to pay prices, businesses will charge them. Basic economics

Old 03-14-2014, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
What is making it harder to afford is precisely the absence of development - not a lot of housing stock to meet demand.

wow, it seems like it will be unaffordable however you look at it,
one way or the other.

Old 03-14-2014, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
You can't get in the way of development because you think it's going to raise prices for everyone. Development follows demand. If people are willing to pay prices, businesses will charge them. Basic economics
if people are willing to be overpriced and not see it or even care, that's just stupid.
it's only a matter of time before that well finally runs dry.

Old 03-14-2014, 11:25 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,912,526 times
Somebody said "Jackson heights"?

Let me jump, right in and say that As long as they don't touch my little Mumbai spots where I get my spices I'm cool with them cleaning up Roosevelt ave.
I'm not sure how they're gonna handle day laborers hanging around, waiting to be picked up, though.

Old 03-14-2014, 11:52 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,333,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
I'm not sure how they're gonna handle day laborers hanging around, waiting to be picked up, though.
They more so in Jackson Heights or Woodside/Astoria? I see them all the time around Roosevelt and 69th st in Woodside. Plus, Woodside/Astoria are closer to Home Depots than Jackson Heights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City